• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Seahorses

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
I hadn't even thought about feather dusters, that would be awesome. You might want to add a cluster duster (same thing, but its a ton of them in a small space), those are really cool. You could probably do a flame scallop or clam too, though I'm not sure. I had some feather dusters, but my hermits decided they were hungry, so...

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
I hadn't even thought about feather dusters, that would be awesome. You might want to add a cluster duster (same thing, but its a ton of them in a small space), those are really cool. You could probably do a flame scallop or clam too, though I'm not sure. I had some feather dusters, but my hermits decided they were hungry, so...

I wouldn't put clams in my tank. I have read some ppl have but being horses move so slow I've also read that they can go across a clam and it closes on their tail causing them to loose it. Horses will hitch on just about anything that isn't moving. There are also aggressive fish that nip at their tails. I kept my tank pretty peaceful for the most part other then a pair of clown fish that would get territorial around their corner of the tank. They never bothered the horses but attacked me when I was in there cleaning gravel/sand.

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
I happened to come across this thread and i wanted to update everyone. .... I have seahorses again! IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0392.JPG I have had them a little over a week and they are still deciding what color they want to be lol. As of a couple days ago, yellow is the preferred color. The female (second pic) is very shy and the male is pretty bold.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Nice to meet you! I'm new here and have not read this until now. That is amazing you have seahorses!! How cool is that? We have aquariums with seahorses here but they certainly don't look as healthy as yours do!!

Thank you so much for sharing! What a wonderful thing to see first thing Monday morning! :pinklol3:

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
Nice to meet you! I'm new here and have not read this until now. That is amazing you have seahorses!! How cool is that? We have aquariums with seahorses here but they certainly don't look as healthy as yours do!!

Thank you so much for sharing! What a wonderful thing to see first thing Monday morning! :pinklol3:

thank you for the nice comment :)

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I happened to come across this thread and i wanted to update everyone. .... I have seahorses again! View attachment 258834 View attachment 258835 I have had them a little over a week and they are still deciding what color they want to be lol. As of a couple days ago, yellow is the preferred color. The female (second pic) is very shy and the male is pretty bold.
OMG...how beautiful are they difficult to maintain in order to thrive!

lyx

Wowww they're so pretty and unique! Are you going to name them? :joyful: I bet they're so fascinating to watch.

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
OMG...how beautiful are they difficult to maintain in order to thrive!

I think the biggest challenge (for me) is the water quality. Water needs to be tested often to make sure the ammonia and nitrates are zero and the nitrates stay low. PH needs to be tested also. It can be stressful at times but i think it's so worth it at the end of the day :)

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
Wowww they're so pretty and unique! Are you going to name them? :joyful: I bet they're so fascinating to watch.

we've been thinking Thor and Sif lol....my hubby likes those names and i'm not totally sold on it yet.

Reactions: lyx

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
So cool! I didn't know seahorses would "perch" on your finger!

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
So cool! I didn't know seahorses would "perch" on your finger!

I've been pretty lucky with my male, he's pretty mellow for the most part, even being new in the tank. My female is soooo shy and is basically on the pink coral and that's pretty much where she stays put. I'm hoping as she is more comfortable with the tank and starts recognizing me at feeding time she will "hitch" also. I have had a few horses from my other tank that would try to hitch even if i was trying to clean the bottom.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
So some of them are sort of friendly? It never would have occurred to me but then I've never known anyone who had them so never really thought about it.

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
yeah they really do have a personality. some just take a little bit longer to adjust to their new home.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Wow!!!! I love sea horses!!!! :xflove:

I used to have a freshwater fish tank when I was in middle school and high school. I LOVED those fish and loved taking care of them. Even chores like checking the pH levela and such I geeked out over. Haha

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Seahorses are so cool! I currently have 3 tanks, all are freshwater and the closest things I have to seahorses are my mystery snails that lay more eggs than I'd like and eat food like it's going out of style :)

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
Wow!!!! I love sea horses!!!! :xflove:

I used to have a freshwater fish tank when I was in middle school and high school. I LOVED those fish and loved taking care of them. Even chores like checking the pH levela and such I geeked out over. Haha

freshwater tanks is what got me thinking about learning saltwater tanks lol... from there is went into a seahorse only tank :)