• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scully & Mulder watch the X-Files

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Turned on X-Files while I was feeding the birds yesterday. Mulder just watched and stared intently at the TV. He was very focused. Scully kept saying, "Hmmm...hmmmm....hmmmm" and"OH!" Then he starting "jumping" up and down on his platform. I think they both enjoyed seeing their "mentors". :wacky:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
LOL this is the best ever. I haven't started watching it yet. I have to catch up on last season over the weekend.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL this is the best ever. I haven't started watching it yet. I have to catch up on last season over the weekend.
It was funny listening to Scully. It was almost as if he was trying to figure out what was going on. ;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll try to do that next time. See if I can set up a hidden camera. If they see the camera they like to stare at it. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Watched the latest X-Files episode with Scully and Mulder again. Once again, Scully was commenting during the show: "Hmmmm....hmmmm." When it came to this episode I totally agreed with him. :hmmm: :think1:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
lol! love it! Do they listen for their names?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The new version is very interesting. Last weeks episode was like a comedy break version and I was watching the last part with the alien and man, they hammered indirectly some politicians, it was hilarious. I might have to set my DVR to capture the new version and hope they repeat it so I can sit down and pay closer attention to all the strangeness going on, I never watched the original one.
It's cool your birds like it and watch it seeing how they are named after the main characters.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
lol! love it! Do they listen for their names?

I haven't really noticed that but Scully seems to get excited when it's on. He sits on a platform and sort of jumps up and down. During the previous episode Mulder was focused but this last one he would watch for a bit, go do something else and then watch again.

The new version is very interesting. Last weeks episode was like a comedy break version and I was watching the last part with the alien and man, they hammered indirectly some politicians, it was hilarious. I might have to set my DVR to capture the new version and hope they repeat it so I can sit down and pay closer attention to all the strangeness going on, I never watched the original one.
It's cool your birds like it and watch it seeing how they are named after the main characters.

I am 50-50 with this episode. Didn't think it was that good but didn't think it was horrible. There were funny moments but just seemed overly silly although that was probably the intent. Young Mulder....that was strange. I keep waiting for an episode that focuses on aliens and this one did but not in the way I had hoped. The ending was quite political and funny but still....??? M & S seem more interested in it than the other birds. You need to watch the original version when you get a chance. There were hits and misses with the episodes in that version but it was my favorite program (until both Anderson and Duchovny left and were replaced).
I liked it so much that the boys got named after the main characters. Originally thought Scully was a girl because he was a lot smaller than Mulder but then he molted out and "The Truth was Out There" :D...Scully was a boy. I purchased a platform for them from IGAW and had their names and the phrase, "Trust No One" burned into the wood.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well, my lil sister was really into the original and the other one Twin peaks I think it was. I just didn't want to invest the time in it by the time I heard about it and recording TV was quite a bit more primitive then for watching later. I had a excellent Sony SLV 676 editing VCR with HiFI sound and another JVC one so I could edit out commercials and later I got a couple of SVHS decks so I could capture stuff at the original resolution and edit them down.
Much later I networked my PC and started capturing shows with a HDTV card and making disk to play and later just added a media player and big hard drives so I could just get my shows and play them directly from the drives on the network in HD.
Now I do that and use Plex and kodi to lay everything out with artwork and descriptions and all that and just play the shows I want. I have a 3 tuner cable TV box that captures my shows and a nice editing suite to do what I want afterwards.
Might have to start recording the new and original shows as they are doing both now on Fox I believe to get the interest up. Each show seems to take a particular story line and run with it so it gets a bit disjointed but at least it isn't like a lot of formula shows out there that always cover similar stuff.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Dartman ... very impressive. Years ago I would record programs using the VCR and then fast forward through the commercials. I don't have a recording setup now but I watch programs on the computer for the most part although I do prefer to watch X-Files on TV. I can watch via the computer and use the TV as a monitor or I just watch on the computer monitor (27", would like to get a 32" one). I have the DVD collection of the original series. I watched all the episodes before the new series started last year. If you record and edit out the commercials that's definitely the way to go. There are way too many commercials on TV now.
It's best to watch the episodes in order because even though some episodes are stand-alones many address events that happened in previous ones. I might go back and re-watch again.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I remember being so excited when I finally got a beat used vcr to record shows with. Then I got a nice 4 head machine that actually worked well and it just kept going from there. I've always been into electronics and technology so I always knew how to use and fix the gear and I gravitated to computers when they became somewhat affordable. I never networked anything then I got the tv capture card and so I setup a very simple network and it kept growing as new things came along.
Now I have 3 computers networked, a few tablets, our phones, a security dvr etc. I have a commercial 24 port network switch in the living room, and a 8 port in the computer room and all the cable stuff and a wifi router. I figured it out and learned as I went and Google is your friend, plus I know how to build pc's and fix stuff and my friend builds computers and networks professionally so I get goodies cheap. Forums like here for things you like are very informative and fun too.
My poor mom can't figure any of this out and even running her remote to watch tv would confuse her as she never grew up with this stuff or cared. I got her a Logitech learning remote and it made her life and mine a lot easier.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's great that you can do all of that. I have my computers and tablet networked. Tried to use the Wifi to connect my phone to computer but it wouldn't work so I just cabled it to computer to transfer photos and videos. I think I know what I did wrong with the wifi connection but sometimes it's just easier to cable things. Could only get my wifi camera to connect to computer once via wifi and never again so just pull out the SD cards and put them in computer. The transfer was incredibly slow via wifi anyway. I wanted a wifi sewing machine but too pricey for me. Just seems that it would be so much faster to transfer designs from computer to machine and vice versa via wifi. My new machine takes USB flash drives and that's quick but with wifi no need for that drive. There were several apps for the machine I was considering and they sounded great but only compatible with iPad and I don't have one of those.
Why do you need so many ports? Do you have a smart home....lights, coffee maker, etc?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Almost every peice of gear in the A/V setup now has a network port and wired is WAY faster so I got up to 9 things needing a wired connection and my buddy and I had taken apart a old network he built and moved it to a new building. They had a ton of slightly older gear and we were given like 5 or 10 24 port switches they no longer needed. My 8 port was full so a few things were using wifi and when I eventually mentioned I needed another or a bigger switch when I was over helping him tear down old boxes to scrap or recycle he told me to grab one of the switches we had and take it for myself. :) It's overkill but I should never run out of open ports now and my old 8 port runs the two boxes in the computer room.
Someday I need a switch for the security DVR so I can upgrade to POE security cameras as they use network connections so the cables are smaller and way easier to run, plus they supply power to the cameras and have much better resolution too.
Once you go there it just keeps growing and when it's built and run it's easy to add new things as your finding out your self. You can make some gear automatically scan for open wifi ports and it's easy to get one little thing wrong causing whatever to refuse to work. You can log in to your router or switch and see what addresses all your gear whether wired or wifi so you can pick open spots to use or figure out what address is right.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would like to set up wireless cameras in the different areas where the birds are so I can check on them when I'm home (spy on them :D) and also when I am out. I have one Blink camera but that's it. I would need more cameras although don't think more Blinks would be the way to go. Not a priority right now, though. It's great that you are able to set everything up and get it all working. You have plenty of port switches to add more goodies.
Do you run anything off site? Turning the lights on before you get home, etc?
My networking is very basic and I probably should learn more but I am just using the router provided by my ISP. Just want the computers, phone, tablet and printers to be able to communicate with one another and generally they do. Thought that I could connect what I'm watching on computer to TV via wifi but no go with that. TV is smart but not smart enough.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I have one nest style wifi cam that will broadcast to any Android device that I put their app on and enter the right info to hook it up. It has great night vision and daytime is 1080p so it's full HD and looks great even on my phone where ever I am. My security DVR I'm pretty sure can do similar but don't think it's as easy to setup for Android and haven't bothered though pretty sure any of the Chinese style hd security DVR boxes can do it too.
You can buy the wifi cameras for 50 to 60 shipped and there are all kinds that work well.
Mine is a Amcrest IP2M-841 and I found it on eBay for around 60 shipped buy it now.
Get yourself a dedicated wifi router and hook it up to your cable modem and disable their crappy wifi and run everything from it instead. They usually include 4 1gig ethernet ports and 2.4 and 5ghz bands for wifi. Then if you need more than 4 wired network jacks get a cheap 8 port network switch and run one of the ports on the wifi router to it and that will give you about 10 wired network ports to use plus wifi. Most simple switches will automatically hook up and will be recognized by windows and it's network plus you'll have the guides included to walk you through anything you need to do or install to make everything happy. After that get long enough cables at least 5e rated and run them to the things you want to hard wire. You can always get fancy later and run the cables in the walls or under the house to wall jacks or whatever once you get everything working. I ran one long cable under the house to the already drilled holes in all the rooms for cable TV coax.
I ran it from the main cable modem, to the hole for the coax, then underneath to the computer room up through the hole for the cable coax hole in the floor there and up to the 8 port switch I use for the computers in there. I had just run the network cable along the floor by the walls but got tired of tripping over it and seeing it on the floor.
The stuff in the front room I just ran the cable from the wifi/ethernet ports on my router and ran it along the edge if the walls to the TV/A/V set up and then it runs from the big 24 port switch to all 9 devices there. Eventually I plan to run that cable under the house and back up through the cable tv coax hole on that area too but seeing how nobody trips over or can easily see that cable it can wait.
Depends on how much you care about keeping things neat and tidy or just want to make it all work without a lot of work and hassle.
You could always find a good local geek and have them wire and run everything nicely for you for a price.