• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scuffed up cere?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I was just checking on Chirp, and I noticed that he had a bit of dried blood on his cere! I cleaned it up with a wet q tip, and it looks like he scuffed up his cere.

He likes to rub his head/beak on stuff, so I'm thinking he scratched himself up when he was wiping his beak, for example, on the corner of his cage, which is kind of sharp.

He isn't bleeding now, and he's just as happy as ever. Flying, yelling, the whole shebang. I put him in his travel cage just to keep an eye on him, which he isn't happy about.

Thoughts? Should we call the vet, or just keep an eye on him?

ETA: I just wiped a little bit more of the blood off his cere with another Q-tip. Now there's only a little bit left.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
O no poor Chirp! If it was caused by him rubbing his face too hard and doesn’t start bleeding again, I think he Will be okay. My cockatiel was missing the entire piece of the beak where chirps wound is. It would bleed once every few months if he did something crazy, just a bit and the vet Said it was okay.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
O no poor Chirp! If it was caused by him rubbing his face too hard and doesn’t start bleeding again, I think he Will be okay. My cockatiel was missing the entire piece of the beak where chirps wound is. It would bleed once every few months if he did something crazy, just a bit and the vet Said it was okay.
Good to know. I just cut up a clean t-shirt into strips, and tied it around sharp spots. Let's hope it will help!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My male budgie gets awful pin feathers just above cere and rubs just about anything he can find until his skin is raw and bleeding. He hates to be touched too. I dabbled the area with a mix of water and aloe Vera gel when he has the pinnies. Seems to help. Is his cere itching?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My male budgie gets awful pin feathers just above cere and rubs just about anything he can find until his skin is raw and bleeding. He hates to be touched too. I dabbled the area with a mix of water and aloe Vera gel when he has the pinnies. Seems to help. Is his cere itching?
Doesn't seem like it. I'm willing to try anything though. What kind of aloe Vera do you use, I presume it would be 100% pure? I'll be going to the store tomorrow.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I got the gel but the plant would be best. You break a leaf for the gel.

Aloe Vera