• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screen Lids and Parrots

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
So I do believe I could bird proof my room apart from one big issue. My corn snake(Copper)'s tank is a screen top 40 gallon and I have no clue how I would deal with that if I adopt a bird. I would worry either about poop getting in through the mesh or a parrot chewing on the mesh. Should I just be aware of this and monitor free time in my room closely? Or should I move his tank out of my room / get him a new, screen-free tank? I would love to get him a Vision tank with sliding or opening doors and no screen tops to worry about. But they're pretty expensive and I want to be sure in my decision on this before I get one (if I do). I'm also not sure if Vision tanks are the best option either, but I can't find much else on tanks that have no screen lids, so any personal suggestions would be appreciated.
So if any reptile keepers here have any suggestions, I'm all ears. Would it be best to move his tank, buy a new tank, adapt his tank, or something else? And, just to be clear, I do not currently have a bird and will not until I know our house is completely safe for them. Just need some advice because Copper isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and I'd like some ideas on his tank and if it's safe.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've had a leopard gecko in a 20 long tank for almost 5 years now! In that time frame I have had a green cheek, 2 quakers, a hahns, and a Jardines. I have never had any land on her cage.

If it was an issue, I would likely move her to a new room that the birds didn't have access to, or buy a piece of acrylic to place on the tank top while the birds were out.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have my snakes in tubs (since it holds the humidity better and it’s a lot cheaper) and I have no issues whatsoever!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Okay! So relieving to hear you guys have no issues with them. And the temporary cover idea is really good, too, thank you! Glad I won't have to change out his tank. He really loves it and seems to much more enjoy the light of a glass tank over a three sided opaque one, plus he loves climbing since the tank is taller. Thanks again for the quick and helpful replies! :D