• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming...

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Recently, Tiki has gotten into a really bad habit of screaming...loud for extended periods of time throughout the day. She's 3 years old, and recently has been very demanding attention wise. At first I would go up to her and try talking to her to get her to stop, but my friend said this is bad, because when she wants attention she'll start screaming, so I've resorted to putting her in another room and leaving her there with her cage with the room door open, I don't force her into the cage and I don't close the light/cover her ect.. I just leave her there for a bit until she "calms down" then I go get her. I realize that she's probably hormonal, but I've never dealt with this before and I really don't know what to do.... help?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
:D I had to laugh a little when I saw this post about a linnie screaming. People with bigger birds understand why.

Anyways, I am sure it is distressing. You friend is right you should reinforce the behavior you like, quiet. But since it is new it's always good to ask what may have changed and brought it on. Any change in environment, people in the home or schedules?

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
May be hard to deal with... but ignore the screaming. And when she is quiet take her out, give attention and praise and repeat. She possibly could be molting, or something. When Andy is screaming I usually whistle back to let him know that im there. But thats for cockatiels i guess lol

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
If it was just me living on my own, I'd ignore it and leave it be, but because I live with my parents and sister.... because they get angry and I don't want them to chase her with their hands to make her stop....I know I have to do something, I just don't know what yet xD :p
Tiki is usually always in the same room as me, her cage is easily transportable. As for changes in routine, I've finished school, my sister has finished school, but we are both working day shifts, whereas I'm usually home with her after school, or home more often. It's also warmer here now (30C plus humidity or 86F plus humidity)

And yes aha larger birds are worse, I've been with my friend and her Scarlett macaw Amber, and boy can she scream! :laughing6:
but with Tiki now, it's loud, sharp and piercing and constant which we are not all that use to... I don't know what's up with her!

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It could definately be hormones. Try giving her less daylight hours, this might help and things to keep her occupied. It does last a few weeks then should settle down

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
I do sympathize with you...years ago I had a yellow nape amazon parrot, she was very old and had lived in a few different homes. When she wanted attention she'd yell "I WANT IT!!!!" and then imitate a kid throwing a tantrum screaming and crying....my own daughter never even got away with that! haha Anyway, I used to cover her cage til she behaved, with her that seemed to work. Hope your problem runs its course in short time..best wishes, Tiki is such a beautiful girl. :)

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Thanks guys :) I seriously hope it settles down soon, it's so nice out, and she usually loves to go outside and enjoy fresh air in her cage, or just be around people, but now I leave her alone in my room, because every time I take her out to join us where we are, she starts screaming, and everyone gets p'ed off, and I try to keep the peace so I put her in my room alone... I feel bad, but I really don't know what else to do :(

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
I'm so sorry Aqua, I just don't know what to say. But I'll say a few prayers for her and you. You could too, God says "What concerns you, concerns Him." And He is the Creator, so who could know the animals better?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You'll probably recognize yourself a lot in this article. Give it a read.

RP - Screaming