• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming Issue

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
My Amazon, Pi, is not a terrible screamer thank the lawd. He doesn't scream to come out, the only issue with screaming is when I leave the room. I know the routine- come back when they have calmed down. But the issue here is that he DOES calm down, it's just as soon as I get up to head back, and walk in the room he starts again. He hears footsteps, or the sound of me getting up so he starts again. I open the door, he screams again in excitement I assume. So... it's getting near impossible to address his screaming when he does it while I am about to reward him for being quiet :(. I've waited as long as an hour once! And he stopped until I started to head back in- but when he started back, I ran back to my waiting post to wait longer. Is there another trick here? Please? It's getting on my nerves lol!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Screaming when you leave the room is likely a flock call. It is a way for a parrot to let his flock know they left him, or a flock to let a missing member find the group again. In the wild, when his flock leaves, he would follow, but in our homes he cannot.

Can you take him with you when you leave the room? Otherwise simply calling back with a sound you prefer can help. For Ripley we whistle back and forth a few times and then he is satisfied that I'm not gone forever :lol:

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
@Mizzely I figured it was that.. sometimes he is content with a flock call, other times he screams willy nilly. He is flighted so I wish he'd just fly to me lol but he's not that confident right now (getting there...). Sometimes I take him with me, but sometimes I wanna run out to grab some food or something and he doesn't like the shoulder too terribly much and I need both hands!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you have a boing or something for him to be on while you do your thing? You can take him on your hand then set him down so he is with you but you still have full range of motion :)

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
@Mizzely His big stand rolls. It's pretty obnoxious to take the huge thing to a room with me lol but I guess that can work. Renting so I don't have cieling hanging playstations at the current. One day... I'll work on flock call whistles so maybe he picks it up. Is that how you do it? Whistle & he'll eventually be like "Oh that's a cool flock call"?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well whatever you use can be simple. A small tabletop perch for the counter, etc. I use plant hooks (I've always rented, never had an issue) or similar and never had a complaint for hanging stuff up.

Yes just whistle back or whatever you want to use as your call. Parrots in the wild learn each other's calls so that they can call a specific member of the flock. So if he wants to call YOU he would learn to use "your" call.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I use a portable perch for mine. Mine sqawks aaaaaaaall day unfortunately while I'm at work my roommate tells me and I am so so lucky he doesn't mind. It's not screaming but just a constant squawk with screaming for a few seconds here and there. It might be flock calling but I've tried yelling back from the living room and it doesn't do anything. I think when my roommate comes home Jupiter assumes it's me when he hears the door and squawks the entire time until I come home.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Mizzely is giving you great advice, some of which I want to follow. I have always been told to totally ignore Fred when he starts screaming.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
But the issue here is that he DOES calm down, it's just as soon as I get up to head back, and walk in the room he starts again. He hears footsteps, or the sound of me getting up so he starts again. I open the door, he screams again in excitement I assume.

@Kenzie, this might be oversimplified thinking on my part, but is it possible that you wear shoes that are silent when you come back into the room until he gets used to you appearing before him (without squawking). I mean, if he can't hear you coming in, maybe he won't squawk, and you can reward him at that time until it becomes habit.

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I also go in and give my bird a treat when she is quiet. Another idea, would be to get a white noise machine. I have one and it helps so my tiel can't hear my footsteps when she needs to be in her cage (like when I'm cooking and don't want her near a hot stove, for example). I also tell her things like, "Be back soon," or "Be back in a while," or "Be right back," depending on how long I'll be gone for. It takes them a while to associate approximate amounts of time with phrases like these, but as long as they are intelligent, they do get it eventually.

That said, I'm not sure if she understands just yet, but I do know she definitely knows what other words, like "Breakfast" and "Nap" mean, so I really hope she'll pick up on this too for her sake, so it won't be as hard for her when I leave the room. I also give her treats before I leave the room, just so she doesn't see it as such a negative thing.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
We moved a week ago just yesterday my two macaws started screaming their fool heads off like someone is killing them-treats, holding, ignoring-avi-calm in the water-NONE of my own advise is working-I am ready to run away from home-tyenol & calgon take me away-PLEASE

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
How long have you had him? Any other background history on him you can share?

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
How long have you had him? Any other background history on him you can share?
Sorry everyone I forget to come back sometimes, I get distracted haha. I've had him for... hmm.. since the summer. He's accustomed very, very well into my family & I got lucky for an Amazon hah. All I know is he is 4 years old- the previous home had him for a year, and the home before that since a baby. The previous home didn't really spend "time" with him i guess.. they let him do his own thing & he basically sat on top of a swing all the time, and on his cage. He had no toys (doesn't play with many unless I encourage him). He really enjoys that I give him actual time where we sit and talk, and spend time next to my on the couch. He loves to sit next to me and chill out. Super chill. No other behavioral issues, really. A great amazon!

I will try rehearsing some whistle flock calls with him and see how that does, I have noticied that doing some of his favorite phrases while in another room can sometimes help and he'll make the noise than scream, but most of the time he will scream. I've been making a point to bring him with me lately, though sometimes he does not want to step up :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So you've had him for roughly five to six months. It can take some birds quite a long time to feel comfortable with a new environment. Imagine moving from the U.S. to a foreign country where life is vastly different and nothing looks the same as your old neighborhood. New people, new home, new sights. He may seem to be comfortable in some aspects but in others he isn't "at home" and may well be part of the reason he screams. He's not used to toys but you'll have to give him something different frequently to see what he responds to. One of the vendors here has some awesome stainless steel toys that may peak his interest as well as offer him things to shred and some things where he can find a treat inside that he most relishes to discover. Maybe try starting a conversation with him in a calm voice and continue talking as you leave the room so he can hear you when he can't see you. If he isn't screaming in this situation talk for a few minutes from the other room and stop briefly to see if he starts to scream. If he does start talking again before you head back into the room to see if this will offer some comfort. You may have to do this exercise in baby steps where you don't go far and come back leading up to being gone just a bit longer to increase his acceptance of your leaving the room. I'm curious, what species of Amazon is he? Share some photos when you get a chance. What is his diet and does he like fresh foods as in vegetables or fruits?