• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming Grey

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
When I was on my run this afternoon, a man I know a bit stopped me and asked me if I'd like to have his African Grey. He knows I have parrots, and said he feels guilty that his grey (he thinks she's a girl, but not for sure) doesn't get enough time and isn't happy. He and his wife are retired and he dotes on this bird. She goes places with him, rides on his shoulder as he works outside (her wings are EXTREMELY clipped), sleeps with him sometimes, and is very much loved. But he says they're busy right now, and don't feel they have the time she deserves. I questioned him more, and he said she seems happy, but he feels guilty. She looks great - no feather picking, and she's very bonded to him. But - she does scream, apparently a lot! He interprets this as unhappiness. He's tried ignoring her, squirting her, covering her cage, turning off the lights, without much success. Now, I don't know how long he's tried these things, perhaps not long enough. But he seems pretty desperate. And he loves this bird and actually wants to keep her, but for the screaming and perceived unhappiness. So, I recommended some things (establishing a flock call to reassure her when he's not in sight, taking careful notes on when she screams to learn the specific antecedent and to intervene BEFORE she starts screaming), but I'm not a grey person. I did stress that establishing a new pattern will be more effective than trying to punish the screaming away. Any ideas to pass on to him?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The first thing would be to tell him to quit doing all the things he's doing- no squirting, covering her cage, etc. to make her stop. Parrots need positive reinforcement, not negative. Also, do you know how long she's been screaming? My 'too has been screaming his head off this past week. I think it's weather change/hormones. Also does she have toys? Does she know how to independently play? It's nice of you to want to help him. :)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
She's been screaming for a while - maybe 6 months, but she's probably only 2 years old. She has toys, a great, large cage, and she seems okay with spending time by herself - I've seen her hanging out and singing on her perch in the garage when he's in there working. But he's in there with her, or close by. She loves hanging in one of their bathrooms on the shower rod, listening to the radio, but then at some point she'll start screaming in there. I don't know about toys, I'll have to ask him if she actually plays on her own. Personally, I think she gets a bit bored and screams, and he responds. Or he leaves her sight and she screams, so he calls to her, "Gabby it's okay I'll be right back." She'll answer him with this same phrase, but then scream again.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If she's 2, she could just be going through the terrible twos.... Hormonal changes and things.