• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming Cycle and feather shed

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
Hello all Amazon people! I have been wondering about a couple of issues,

1) Today I noticed 3-4 feathers on the ground, they are white on the inside, green on the outside like whole feathers on the ground... I know that white ones are normal, but there are 3-4 greenish feathers on the floor... is this normal?? I don't really see my baby pulling this feathers out, though he does ruffle them up and itch himself every couple days and shake his body up to relax but is it normal to see a couple greenish feathers on the floor? I have only noticed this today.

2) If I wake my idiot up at 7-7:30 AM, he would scream his a** off for an hour non stop and it is one unpleasant thing about the parrot or Amazon owning experience. Now here is the catch, If I don't open his door until 8:30-9, he would then be much quieter, maybe a couple vocals here and there, but noticeably quiet if woken up later...today I opened his door at 8:25, he was vocalizing until 9:15 until I closed his door again and he became quiet! Why is this? Is this some mind cycle of theirs or attention grabbing behavior? Thanks

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
How long have you had him?

1) He may just be going through a molt.

2) Most birds will have a good scream session in the morning after they wake. He's communicating with his flock - which is you, in this case - and it's perfectly normal.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Parrots lose feathers on a regular basis. Just like our hair, they are replaced all of the time. Usually once a year they go through what is called a molt. At that time, they can lose quite a few feathers, including wing and tail, to replace them with new ones. Perfectly normal.

As for the morning yelling, parrots are most active and vocal in the morning and then again in the evening just before bed. This is mostly calling the flock behavior. When they awake, and again before they go to sleep, they call the flock in so they can all be together. Since this parrot does not live in the jungle, you have become his flock. He wants you to be nearby at these times.

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
Thanks for the reply guys... I guess it is normal molting process. I call him an idiot sometimes as a sweet gesture. I really love him and am attached to him deeply. PS he is very well mannered in the sense that he never bit anyone of us. During hand feeding if the food gets dropped by mistake, he would immediately backoff to avoid biting me. But he still doesn't let us touch him...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some birds do not like human touch. Basically all you can do is to let the bird know your hands bring friendly things to him like treats and toys. Good luck and enjoy your bird companion.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My zons have feathers like that on the floor from time to time.

MC is cranky if woken up early, aren't you?

Mine seem to make noise when they're happy.

Secret also makes horrible crow noises from time to time that I am still working on breaking the habit of. Horrible noises but the bird trained me well to show up in the early years when she did it. So.... we apparently reinforced.

Your amazon MAY like a head skritch through the bars of the cage at first. That protects you and him but be careful and do it just briefly and leave the bird wanting more. My husband tries occasionally with MC but he still tries to get the hubby.

Early in the morning or late at night. That's the ONLY time I can touch Secret and she's been with us about 7 years now.

Amazons are independent. Each bird is an individual and moves at their own pace. Be SLOW with everything because birds have long memories. Trust is vital.

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
I have only had him little over a month and already love him to death, and am always worried about him when away for few hours. He does trust me, I can tell because when guests go near him he gets really panicked and goes to the other end of his cage real fast, when I or other family members are around, he is more cool but still a bit confused sometimes. Also he loves being hand fed by me. I also give mine out of cage time from time to time, he flies in the living too lol, surprisingly he never crashed into the wall or anything, he controls himself. But boy does he like staying as high up as possible and I have to work really hard to get him back down and in his cage, most of it involves putting his favorite food in his bowl and putting it back in, then after a few noises, he goes back in lol

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just so you know, there is something called the honeymoon period. When we first get parrots, they do not exhibit their true self for a while.

Their behavior changes as they become used to being in their new environment.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How old is he and what kind of amazon?

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
Sorry for the late reply... He is a lilac crowned Amazon. 6 months old now.