• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming BW pionus baby...

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
and welcome to you and Baby Bronzewing!
Thank you! :)

Try to teach him to target or similar - it's a clicker training technique and it will open up a line of communication.
I actually bought a target stick with a clicker and everything so I can't wait to pick that up! Unfortunately Ive got nothing to motivate him with at the moment because he refuses all foods except served in a syringe... it had to wait for now

Try to establish more of a routine for these early days. You can adjust or modify your routine when he's feeling more settled, but right now the unpredictability is scary and throwing him off. Try to establish consistent hours when he is out of his cage and a fixed bedtime.
I'll try my best.. with my earplugs as my trusty protectors. Right now his "bedtime" is at sunset. He seemed to get more vocal after sunset, so to prevent all the drama I just decided it would be his bedtime. He gets his last feeding and his cage covered. After sunset I have to live elsewhere in my house because he starts the screams when he even hears me breathing loudly...

Is it best to let him out after a feeding or leave him to chill in his cage for a while? Opinions seem to differ. I've been letting him chill (scream) in his cage because in my opinion feedtime is not playtime. But maybe I shouldn't?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Find a treat...if he really won't eat any solid food yet & only eats by syringe then he really should not have been taken away from his home as he's just not equipped to deal with a new home & not being able to eat on his own is a stress fear. Thats why he is so vocal. He's insecure & totally dependent on someone he just met.

Breeders try cheerios & should have started introducing grains. Have you tried some nice oatmeal with frozen peas & corn etc...He needs to be eating some things on his own even soft things..Baked mashed sweet potato...Should have been introduced to vegetables. Have you tried millet? Its small & they usually like that.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like he's decided sunset is his bedtime so I'd just go with that. I'd also let him guide you about what he wants to do after feeding. You may think that feedtime is not playtime, but he may think otherwise.

Are you in contact with his breeder? I'm rather worried that he isn't eating independently at all. Three months is not that old for a pionus and he may not have been totally secure in his weaning which is why he's regressed so dramatically.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Seems like the breeder keeps the birds in the yard so an aviary type bird she hand reared so I don't expect this bird had much more attention other than handfeeding. Does not sound as if the bird was weaned long enough or on a varied diet.
12 to 13 weeks is about min for a pionus to wean...they can take more or as long as it takes.

I'd introduce many foods even though syringe feeding...Have cheerios, pieces of fruit, veggies, sweet potato. soften some pellets...oatmeal...etc to have this bird learn to eat with his own beak...

I hope none of the birds in the aviary are sick...4 babies died in the past...heat??? Sad but I guess parent raised & things happen.

Last edited:

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Find a treat...if he really won't eat any solid food yet & only eats by syringe then he really should not have been taken away from his home as he's just not equipped to deal with a new home & not being able to eat on his own is a stress fear. Thats why he is so vocal. He's insecure & totally dependent on someone he just met.

Breeders try cheerios & should have started introducing grains. Have you tried some nice oatmeal with frozen peas & corn etc...He needs to be eating some things on his own even soft things..Baked mashed sweet potato...Should have been introduced to vegetables. Have you tried millet? Its small & they usually like that.
I spend the afternoon at his breeder and saw him eat myself. Sunflowerseeds out of a seed/grain mix and he was picking at pieces of brocolli. It's good that I saw, because with the bird I have now I wouldn't have believed that he was mostly weaned.

I even went out especially to get similar looking feeding bowls. Thinking that may have been the problem... I tried millet. In a bowl and on a stick. No go. Tomorrow I am going to get some baby food and try to spoon-feed that.

I keep trying stuff while maybe he just needs time and I keep doing weird strange scary things with spoons, bowls, seeds and mashes... I don't even know...this baby makes me crazy xD

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hes just confused in a new place. I would not use the spoons if he is not accepting them. Still just syringe is hard for you & him. Have a bowl for mashes or veggies one for dry things. Have seeds/ pellets always available & put them in a location where he can be a bit hidden & eat them. Thats where a partial cover on a corner can come in handy. He can feel safe to hang out & munch with no one watching. They are vulnerable when eating...Head down..etc...

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Seems like the breeder keeps the birds in the yard so an aviary type bird she hand reared so I don't expect this bird had much more attention other than handfeeding. Does not sound as if the bird was weaned long enough or on a varied diet.
12 to 13 weeks is about min for a pionus to wean...they can take more or as long as it takes.

I'd introduce many foods even though syringe feeding...Have cheerios, pieces of fruit, veggies, sweet potato. soften some pellets...oatmeal...etc to have this bird learn to eat with his own beak...

I hope none of the birds in the aviary are sick...4 babies died in the past...heat??? Sad but I guess parent raised & things happen.
I think the diet wasn't that bad. But you may be right about the attention. I could ask but I doubt it would make a difference knowing now anyway. I will try to get the varied foods in him, even if I have to use the syringe.

The parents looked very happy en healthy (though not happy with me the strange lady standing there looking at them intently). They also had test results from both parents showing they were not sick, so that's okay too.

We did have two crazy summers with 40+ celcius outside, I think in a wooden nestbox inside the closed off part of an aviary the temp could really get very high...

I just keep faith in my own vets check that I have a healthy bird. And keep trying to settle him down and get him on other foods.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is the video of the breeder you got your bird from, or is it just one you found online?

My thought is to slow down. Keep offering the foods that the breeder offered because you know that he recognises those as food and has eaten them before. Prepare the broccoli however the breeder did - large chunks, small chunks, finely chopped, steamed, raw, whatever. Ask the breeder how they wean their babies - do they spoonfeed, do they offer food in bowls, something else? Do whatever your baby is used to rather than confronting him with things he may not even recognise as edible. Stop doing things that you know are weird or strange or scary and just let him settle and get used to you.

I know that you're worried and panicking a bit. I get that - I would be too. But at the moment you're throwing a lot of new things at a very young, scared, anxious baby. You're getting both of you in a tizzy. Just keep it calm, keep it slow, wear earplugs and do whatever you have to do to be calm and steady around him. Pionus are sensitive little birds. They respond well to calm, gentle energy.

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Is the video of the breeder you got your bird from, or is it just one you found online?
It's one I found online. I kept trying to find anything similar to what my bird was doing because i couldnt find much information or anything at all... That's the only video where I let out a sigh of relief because they do make that sound, even when happy. Mine just overdoes it into the extremes or something I guess.

They respond well to calm, gentle energy.
I know he hasn't been getting that (I am a little ashamed to say). I really hope I can give him all the calmness with earplugs.

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Thank you all for your posts and advice.
You really managed to lift my spirits a little and I am going to start tomorrow with a little more vigour instead of desperation. I'll let you all know how it progresses.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Right now I'd keep the target stick for the future.

This bird needs to feels secure & eat by himself.

Routine & knowing what is expected is part of security. Everything is all different to him now so consistency & schedule of just daily routine is all that should be introduced...

I personally am not a fan of clicker training but some people like it & it works for them.

My clicker is my voice...:rofl:

I think they can learn to understand...

Penny laughs with joy when she comes out & sighs...They communicate in many ways...Its up to us to encourage the more acceptable language..I ignore the crazy loud jungle call like the plague...still the buggers seem to know when the heart starts to race & the temper starts to boil////:omg:

Sense of humor is very important....Penny is laughing with me not at me////:laughing7:

Remember the louder you get the louder they get so never yell at them...it only teaches them bad habits...:blahblah:

Last edited:

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
:bluhug:I don’t have any helpful advise but have you reached out to the breeder?

Maybe you could video the sounds & posts them in this thread for the more experienced members to hear.

Good luck & good are being sent your way from North Carolina,USA. :bighug:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Feeding is a pleasurable time for a bird. How much else do they look forward to that is more important.
Feedling can be a bonding time. If he wants to hang out a bit after feeding go with it as its the best time to help him know you are the source of goodness...Milk it as they say...take advantage of that time...even though now it can be a tiring chore.

Birds are a different mindset than most of us familiar with "pets" They will never be "pets' in that sense. They fly under a primitive sort of mentality but they can't be won with force. We can get more out of the relationship if we try to look at things thru their eyes...

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Maybe you could video the sounds & posts them in this thread for the more experienced members to hear.
Yes to this!:)

I need to hear him scream and I want to see what you are doing at same time.
I will say that if a baby Pi screams like that, something is bother him/is wrong with him.
What did the breeder say when you told about this? Can you give him back and let the breeder wean him?

And DO NOT IGNORE HIM! That is the worst thing you can do.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you mean the sound that sounds like a "rubber duck" that is not a begging sound.
That is a breeder that have no idea what her babies are saying to her.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If you mean the sound that sounds like a "rubber duck" that is not a begging sound.

I think its a backyard breeder...I have not heard the sound as I don't play screaming bird sounds as my birds are in the room...

My first impression was extreme concern & I hope the baby is OK...still could be seperation trauma but I advised maybe the breeder could continue weaning but I don't think the breeder is skilled anyway so it might not be good to give it back & delay treatment if it needs some but she said the vet just checked the baby...:(

Last edited:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Eloy, what is the sound about? Crazy little toy sound!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Eloy, what is the sound about? Crazy little toy sound!
I know it's sounds cute but that is the saddest sound a Pi can make.
If you watch the video you can see that the BH to the right that is making the sound doesn't want to be touch either.
I call that sound a baby anguish sound.
They are making the sound when they are scared/worried and want to remind us that they are babies and not a threat to us and we should be gently to them.
If I had a baby making that sound every time it sees me I would have return it to the breeder. No way that I wanted to put more anxiety to what it already have.
And also I would never hand-feed a baby that was afraid of me if I had other options. That is not a good start.

@rookspook If you can't return him to the breeder, let a avian vet check him again.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I know it's sounds cute but that is the saddest sound a Pi can make.
If you watch the video you can see that the BH to the right that is making the sound doesn't want to be touch either.
I call that sound a baby anguish sound.
They are making the sound when they are scared/worried and want to remind us that they are babies and not a threat to us and we should be gently to them.
If I had a baby making that sound every time it sees me I would have return it to the breeder. No way that I wanted to put more anxiety to what it already have.
And also I would never hand-feed a baby that was afraid of me if I had other options. That is not a good start.

@rookspook If you can't return him to the breeder, let a avian vet check him again.

I thought she was said it was a loud scream & it never stopped///either way... Troubles me its not eating & will only eat by syringe. I know its used to the breeder but I am not sure the breeder knows alot herself.

They can make they breathy weasing sound too.

Oh I never thought about it being handfed & that it was scared at the same time...Poor thing must be so shook up...I suppose in that case but it was eating with the breeder but a few sunflower seeds & nibble on broccoli might not be enough. Its 12 or 13 weeks...

I hope things are better tomorrow...A sheet over the corner of the cage but if he has to be taken out & manhandled 3 times a day the poor thing would be in such fear or else starve...

I don't know if she has talked to the breeder but the best thing would be for this bird to be weaned fully in its safe environment if it refuses to eat...

So sad...