• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming after move

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Hi everyone,

So I just moved to an apartment and my green cheek is acting very out of character.

To be fair we did JUST move in-he spent his first night here yesterday, but his behavior is just so weird.

He’s eating like a chunk (normal) and busying himself on the top of his cage (also normal), he’ll preen himself and act like he’s comfy and then he’ll SCREAM.

It doesn’t matter if I’m with him or not, although it does get worse when I’m not there. He’s also more nippy than usual. It’s not aggressive nipping, it’s just grabbing onto my hands and biting harder, much harder than usual.

I know the new place is scary and strange but do you guys have any advice? Answering his calls doesn’t help.

I’m just very worrried I will get in trouble with the other tenants since it’s literally non-stop.

He was a relatively quiet bird before.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I normally say this for when a person brings a new bird home but this is kind of the same. He may feel like you has to alert you for any danger. New place, new sounds, etc. When you're away, if you cover his cage on three sides, leaving the front open- he doesn't have to look for danger on all 4 sides. That might make him feel more secure until he adjusts. Also, do you play music or leave the TV on? I'm thinking maybe he's hearing noises he's not used to?

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
I normally say this for when a person brings a new bird home but this is kind of the same. He may feel like you has to alert you for any danger. New place, new sounds, etc. When you're away, if you cover his cage on three sides, leaving the front open- he doesn't have to look for danger on all 4 sides. That might make him feel more secure until he adjusts. Also, do you play music or leave the TV on? I'm thinking maybe he's hearing noises he's not used to?
Thank you for that! I didn’t even think of it as him alerting me! It seems like it might be the culprit now!

And yes, there are plenty of new noises! Pots, pans, TVs, dishwashers and dryers and air conditioners! Stuff he’s not used to.

It makes a lot of sense now! Thank you very much!