• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Scratching Preening & Blood Feathers.

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
24 hours ago my budgie was in the ER vet office because of 3 blood feathers that were damaged. The vet pulled all 3 out and gave my Budgie an SC fluid administration. And also cleaned him up and also put him in a warm incubator for 2 hours and then rechecked him and allowed me to take him home.

Today he is MUCH BETTER. He is eating, drinking, talking & acting almost normal.

The big issue now is that he is preening himself A LOT. I feel so bad for him as he sits there cleaning. preening I know he is not comfortable. The vet also gave me Metacam BUT I had a hard time getting Scooby to drink it.

Will this excessive preening subside within the next day or two?

Is there anything you recommend I can do over the coming days??

He goes back to the regular avian vet next Monday for a recheck.

He is so much better BUT I hate seeing him preening so much.

I took this pic of him eating broccoli 2 hours ago He ate almost all of it He drank some today too. And ate his Roudebush pellets and now he's mumbling talking and closing his eyes (acting like he usually does) But he preens a lot.

The other pic is the area he cleans & preens I was told as bad as it looks he should make a full recovery so that makes us very happy as we love him.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt preened like mad after his last vet visit......I think they get their feathers all a bit messed up with all the handling they have at the vet clinic.
I am thinking he will settle down with the preening once he gets all them feathers nice and neat again.
I bet by tomorrow he will be almost back to normal. I would recommend a shower but that may not be the best idea in this situation given that he has some blood clots to keep in place.

I hope you got some decent rest last night :)

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
Burt preened like mad after his last vet visit, ......I think they get their feathers all a bit messed up with all the handling they have at the vet clinic.
I am thinking he will settle down with the preening once he gets all them feathers nice and neat again.
I bet by tomorrow he will be almost back to normal. I would recommend a shower but that may not be the best idea in this situation given that he has some blood clots to keep in place.

I hope you got some decent rest last night. :)

Shezbug thank you!!

We were told not to bathe him until he gets seen again (next Monday) If you look at the picture some of his feathers on his side are missing as well as his wing feathers cut unevenly. Those will take some time to grow back BUT the vet said they will for sure grow back as his wings are not damaged.

He had 3 blood feathers pulled; I think he is trying to keep the feathers from bothering him.

I'm going to cover him when it gets dark again. He seemed to sleep well last night; I slept in the room with him & spent most of the day with him.

I am grateful that he acts almost normal. I bet if he could chew me out for trying to clip his wings he would!!!

I will go to the vet from here on to get his wings &nails done

All I can hope is that anyone that thinks they know what they are doing with wing clipping looks at my Budgie and what I did. I am almost 60 (not a kid) had budgies for 20 years and never had an issue as I "learned" to clip wings. Well, look at what happened.

My recommendation, leave it to the vet and professionals. I feel terrible but VERY THANKFUL that he is expected to recover 100%

I Just took this pic below he sure looks happy as he was under his treat stick eating and bobbing his head up and down acting like his silly self :cool:

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I will have to check your picture out a little later. For some reason they hardly ever open properly on my phone and they go blurry when I enlarge the little pics :(

I am pleased he slept well and is looking good today. :heart: