• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scotty preened Harley!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
They'd probably look a bit like flying piranhas.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:cheer: So happy to hear about your wee ones Harley and Scott. I hope they continue this way for you.:cheer:

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Love to hear a happy story! thank you for sharing and for the pic!!

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
so cute!!!!! how are your bigger fids with the gcc's?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
so cute!!!!! how are your bigger fids with the gcc's?
Thankfully they all keep to themselves. I'd probably have to divide the room somehow if they didn't.

Luv Bug did go through a phase where she would fly to us if we were by the other birds' areas and try to get on their cages & Buzz's playstand, but we'd stop what we were doing and quickly remove her over and over. I guess that must have finally actually worked because she doesn't do it anymore.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Good news, Scott and Harley have recently started acting like a pair, following each other around and preening more than occasionally. I am thrilled because Scott is normally a perch potato and since Harley doesn't see well her exploration is fairly limited, but together they make a wonderful team; he is more adventurous and she follows him to new areas. It makes my heart so happy to see the two of them together more. :swoon: They're finally acting like real cheekies.
That said, last night was the first time I'd seen the two of them... together.
I was on my way into the kitchen and saw them in their cage with their bottoms together and both of their tails straight in the air. :shocked6: I didn't want to disturb them so I went around through the other door. Their configuration (?) had me questioning again whether Scott might be female. Here's the best shot I could get of them; they had just started moving away & it's grainy because it's waaay zoomed it so as not to interrupt.

20181118_154447.jpg

===============
My search for "females mating" led me to this thread: Should I allow mating??? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum and at first I thought I'd gotten my answer, but there were so many posts for both sides, that I'm as confused as ever. (I've quoted here from that thread so as not to hijack it.)
Usually rubbing butt to butt, it's two females because they are trying to stimulate their cloacas.
:chin: A strong argument; sounds like I've got two girls? :storkg::storkg:

But then these...:

That sounds good everyone, thank you. Dino is DNA male so I guess he just doesn't really know what to do... lol
That is how Tuck takes care of his girlies and he seems to be very adept at it. :ashamed2:
Igor did eventually did find out the correct way to mate, and he and Ziggy did produce fertile eggs...;)
I've thought about getting him tested next time I take him to get his nails trimmed, but what if they said he's female & I let my guard down & we end up with babies? :nervous:
DNA Sexing can be wrong, it's not 100%.
I still don't understand how it's not 100%. Human error? :shrug:
===============

What so y'all think, could Scott be a female (having sat on eggs last time and possibly laid the one smallish egg we had after they started getting to know each other) or just an inexperienced male who hasn't figured out how to mount Miss Harley just yet? Harley has been on eggs a few times this year since the two of them were first spotted preening and none have been fertilized so far.

And here's another shot of the happy couple just because they're so darned cute. I was trying to get a picture of them preening but evidently I'd gotten one step too close so this is as good as I could get. :rolleyes:
20181118_160718.jpg

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
DNA can give you the wrong result when the sample is contaminated. The vet swabbed the toenail with alcohol and then we took our sample. Just keep everything clean and separate, and it'll be ok!

I had to laugh at their err... courtship attempt. Makes me think you might have two girlies after all.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My gosh! What's that ugly growth attached to your finger? (Your avatar) JUST KIDDIN". :laughing6: I love 'em when they're wet. :heart: :hug8:
Looks like a SPC - Spiky Pinecone Conure :lol:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And here's another shot of the happy couple just because they're so darned cute.
Yes they are! ♥♥♥
And I will not guess about gender because I don't now anything about Conures.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My cheekies don't actually mount but sit side by side and rub tails. I admit I did not know until a few years ago that they do not have the ah longer male part (or shorter, I'm not judging). The most maleness(?) I've seen is Tuck will sometimes stick a foot over on his girl and hold on.

But either way, just wonderful and happy for them :heart: