• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scooterrrrrrrrr!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Sooo..I can say the same thing to you, that you said to me... When the heck did you plan on a new bird, and didn't hardly mention her until now? HUGE congrats!!!:) And where pray tell, are the photos?:needpics:
Touche, indeed! :lol: I took some quick shots but nothing that is sharing worthy. Well, that IS her in my avatar. Quick & dirty Photoshop job. I have some cute shots on my camera but I'm trying to get other photos finished before I get to the new ones :idea:

Alright, fine! Here is a teaser:

How precious is my little muffin?! :cloud9:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I am just seeing this now after seeing her pics on your flickr feed Missi, with all my school work I haven't been on as much as I'd like :) Congrats Scooter is adorable!
School comes first! Good job Dana! :highfive:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
She is definitely beautiful! Stunning

Imagine being suddenly removed from the only home you've ever known...and then put in a new place, new cage, new people, new noises, etc....scary stuff right there. I'm glad you understand that patience is golden. The fact she is already showing improvement is huge.

One significant benefit of a caique is usually they long to interact with you....use it to your advantage

Last edited:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
She is definitely beautiful! Stunning

Imagine being suddenly removed from the only home you've ever known...and then put in a new place, new cage, new people, new noises, etc....scary stuff right there. I'm glad you understand that patience is golden. The fact she is already showing improvement is huge.

One significant benefit of a caique is usually they long to interact with you....use it to your advantage
Thanks for your advice :highfive: I definitely feel blessed! I am enjoying her good mood because, from what I've read, a mood shift can be expected any time! :p

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Are you familiar with how caiques are prone to getting overstimulated? This can cause more unpredictability than usual. More caique owners will be able to speak to this :)

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
She's gorgeous!!! I love her dark eye ring, I can tell she was very loved before!

And yes Caiques can easily get overstimulated! Douglas is usually a gentleman for me, but sometimes when we play too much, or if there is a frenzy of activity, he may unexpectedly fly at me, or randomly attack me. I can't blame him, as it's just what he is! LOL.
When he plays rough with his toys, I never handle him until I know he has calmed down a bit. He will bite hard when overstimulated without meaning to, and when I cry out and go "OW" he'll insta-calm down and feel bad, haha!
When he get's like that, I try to leave him alone, or I will get a stick and put him in his cage to cool down. But these moments can flicker on and off in an instant, so just a little break will do him good. I also find that if I take some cool deep breaths, and tell him to caalllmmm dooowwwnnn his energy level will shift a bit, haha!

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Are you familiar with how caiques are prone to getting overstimulated? This can cause more unpredictability than usual. More caique owners will be able to speak to this :)
Oh yes! I am in the middle of reading "Companion Caiques" by Sally Blanchard (THANKS Ming Ming! :highfive:). I have two other caique books to read, too. I did a lot of reading stories from caique parents on here & The Caique Forum, too!

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Wow! She is beautiful! Such intense eyes and colors. Congrats!
All these angry caique stories are scaring me . Especially the ones that say they do not adjust to change well. Now I'm terrified because we are moving to NC in a few days and that will be major changes. New everything. I'm so worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
She's gorgeous!!! I love her dark eye ring, I can tell she was very loved before!

And yes Caiques can easily get overstimulated! Douglas is usually a gentleman for me, but sometimes when we play too much, or if there is a frenzy of activity, he may unexpectedly fly at me, or randomly attack me. I can't blame him, as it's just what he is! LOL.
When he plays rough with his toys, I never handle him until I know he has calmed down a bit. He will bite hard when overstimulated without meaning to, and when I cry out and go "OW" he'll insta-calm down and feel bad, haha!
When he get's like that, I try to leave him alone, or I will get a stick and put him in his cage to cool down. But these moments can flicker on and off in an instant, so just a little break will do him good. I also find that if I take some cool deep breaths, and tell him to caalllmmm dooowwwnnn his energy level will shift a bit, haha!
Scooter drew blood on her grandma yesterday & it was even her first time meeting her! :eek: Here's the story. It was all me & my mum's fault -- of course. The front door was open (we have our front porch screened in) because we were expecting my mum for for the Superbowl -- errr...I mean Superbowl commercials :p When her car pulled in our driveway, all 6 dogs started barking & running up a storm, Bailey was so excited that he was jungle screaming, this continued for several minutes after Mum came inside. She came over to where I was to see Scooter (who was on her table top play stand on the dining room table). When Scooter saw my mum she started frantically pacing back & forth & hunching down with the wings quivering all the while staring at my mum. Now, for a macaw, this means they want to be picked up by the person they are staring at. Apparently for a caique this body language means something completely different -- that they want blood! I stepped Scooter up, put her on my mum's hand & BAM! I nabbed her before she could lock on to Mum's finger, THANK GOD! (Mum would have been traumatized for life!), but there was still plenty of blood! But get this! Mum says "That wasn't her fault! I didn't have to come over & handle her before she knew me." I taught my mum well *happy tear* :lol:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
All these angry caique stories are scaring me . Especially the ones that say they do not adjust to change well. Now I'm terrified because we are moving to NC in a few days and that will be major changes. New everything. I'm so worried.

OH! Don't be worried, you'll only worry your little one. Just expect it, prepare yourself for possible attitude for a little while & read up on stories of caiques readjusting. I'm sure after a settling in period, you cake will be just fine! :hug8::heart:

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Scooter drew blood on her grandma yesterday & it was even her first time meeting her! :eek: Here's the story. It was all me & my mum's fault -- of course. The front door was open (we have our front porch screened in) because we were expecting my mum for for the Superbowl -- errr...I mean Superbowl commercials :p When her car pulled in our driveway, all 6 dogs started barking & running up a storm, Bailey was so excited that he was jungle screaming, this continued for several minutes after Mum came inside. She came over to where I was to see Scooter (who was on her table top play stand on the dining room table). When Scooter saw my mum she started frantically pacing back & forth & hunching down with the wings quivering all the while staring at my mum. Now, for a macaw, this means they want to be picked up by the person they are staring at. Apparently for a caique this body language means something completely different -- that they want blood! I stepped Scooter up, put her on my mum's hand & BAM! I nabbed her before she could lock on to Mum's finger, THANK GOD! (Mum would have been traumatized for life!), but there was still plenty of blood! But get this! Mum says "That wasn't her fault! I didn't have to come over & handle her before she knew me." I taught my mum well *happy tear* :lol:
OH MAN! That isn't a fun first meeting! But yeah, from you describing that body language, I would've stayed well away LOL.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
All these angry caique stories are scaring me . Especially the ones that say they do not adjust to change well. Now I'm terrified because we are moving to NC in a few days and that will be major changes. New everything. I'm so worried.

Aw i'm sure it'll be okay! She's still be with her favourite person! I find whenever I go anywhere with Douglas (like the first couple of times we went to my parents house) he was okay, just a bit clingy and insecure. I find the most damage is when you disappear and they feel like they've been abandoned!

Status
Not open for further replies.