• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

scissoring feathers, missing owner, scared of husband

tinamarie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
tinalahay
hello, my name is Tina I have and African Grey that is have had for about 3 months, he is 9 months old, he was hand few my a female who he grew very attached to, I noticed he is chewing his tail and wing feathers, scissoring them off, he gets all the attention from me all day long, and if he is out on his playpen he will fly looking for me and hit the ground cause he cant fly. He has plenty on things to keep him busy such as bird toys, and he don't eat much cause he is wondering what I am doing, I also noticed once he hits the floor looking for me(and I am sitting right there) he will pass me right up and it looks like he is looking for someone else, and I have to go and get him to get him off the floor, he also afraid of my husband, and will not go near him and if my husband just passed by him and gets 3 ft away Oscar (the bird) will growl and grind his beak, but he has never bit him, and my husband has never done anything to him and he is trying to be sweet.
help! I am thinking he is missing the girl at the pet store who use to hand feed him?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have no clue concerning this but there are others that will chime in.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
find a treat that he relay likes and your husband drops into his bowl every time your husband walks by have your husband read to him from the other side of the room it will be a while before the bird is ok with it and then do a little more

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I am sure some of our grey owners can offer advice.

@DQTimnehs ? @BirdGuy21 ?

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Has your bird been vet checked? I would rule out any medical issues first that may be causing him to engage in feather destructive behavior.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
:welcome2: Those have Greys will be here shortly...

tinamarie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
tinalahay
no one has offered me any advice on my grey's feather chewing he is still doing it, he is driving me crazy! i spend about 3 hrs with him on my arm a day and he out of his cage for about 12 hrs while I am cleaning and doing things around the house, he has plenty of toys also to keep him buzy, he seems to be interested in them for only about 5 min. then, on to feather chewing, help he still screams when my husband gets near him, and won't accept any food from him, dont even want to hear his voice, I can't do it all by myself all the time, I feel like I need a break sometimes! just like a child, before buying a grey you should be warned, just like adopting a dog,

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
It takes time with a new parrot and he is still a baby. Like all babies they make a lot of noise and it's not something that will stop over night. It takes a while for a parrot to learn to trust you. Have your husband sit in the room on the other side of the room from him where he can see him a little bit if he starts screaming have your husband leave the room for a little bit till he calms down and have him re-enter the room slowly. He is going to scream most likely but after he sees him coming and going he will calm down it's just going to take some time. As @Cynthia & Percy said have him give treats to Oscar. He may throw a fit but he is a baby and that is what babies do. He is in a new situation and everything is fresh and new to him. You need to be patient with him as much as he needs to be patient with you. It's going to be a learning curve for the both of you.

Welcome to the Avenue

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@DQTimnehs

Can you tag other folks that have greys?