• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

School time! What should I do?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I have a single budgie and I'm about to start school again and I am very scared for him being alone for that long! I also have after school stuff which delays me from getting home even more. I'm not allowed to get another budgie also. The thought of him being home alone makes me very sad.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Play music or leave the TV on while you are gone.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Yes, leave some music on. Why don't you talk to your parents about getting a second bird, and present them with all the benefits? I think your budgie would be happier with a companion

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Yes, leave some music on. Why don't you talk to your parents about getting a second bird, and present them with all the benefits? I think your budgie would be happier with a companion
Would it be ok to put them in separate cages though?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Would it be ok to put them in separate cages though?
it would, but they would probably move in together as soon as they get the chance. Budgies are flock birds and they want to be together.

About school, there is still some time. You can try and make it easier for your bird by progressively reducing the time you spend with him/her so it won't be such a stress to suddenly be all alone when school starts again.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If your parents are not going to pay for vet care then another bird is a bad idea. If they are then by all means a second one is good. These kind of things should be discussed ahead of time. You don't want to wait until vet care is needed on emergent basis.

Reactions: tka

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
If your parents are not going to pay for vet care then another bird is a bad idea. If they are then by all means a second one is good. These kind of things should be discussed ahead of time. You don't want to wait until vet care is needed on emergent basis.
We would definitely take it to the vet. We have a avian vet and an emergency 24 hour avian vet near us. The thing is can I keep them in separate cages?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
We would definitely take it to the vet. We have a avian vet and an emergency 24 hour avian vet near us. The thing is can I keep them in separate cages?
As I said, you can keep them separate if you abslutely want to, but they will call to each other and won't be happy about it. Why would you want to do that?

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
As I said, you can keep them separate if you abslutely want to, but they will call to each other and won't be happy about it. Why would you want to do that?
That's what one of the vets told me that he won't want to come out of his cage if they stay together

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That's what one of the vets told me that he won't want to come out of his cage if they stay together
:hmmm:that's a very strange thing to say... I have had several budgies, always 2 at a time, and they never had problem coming out of their cage.. They have a branch over their cage, they love to sit on it, and fly...

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
Usually, once the original bird has a bond with you it will stay bonded. Though the other bird would likely be scared of you at first, s/he will follow the others lead. So keeping them together shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have a good bond with your original budgie.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Usually, once the original bird has a bond with you it will stay bonded. Though the other bird would likely be scared of you at first, s/he will follow the others lead. So keeping them together shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have a good bond with your original budgie.
I would get a hand fed baby budgie if I did get another. Oliver was hand raised