• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scented Candles

Niffler

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella
I just got a conure as a surprise a few days ago. I had been doing research and saw that conures could become very ill from scented candles and things of the sort and the thing is that I'm fairly young so I still live at home and my Mom goes crazy for candles and all things scented. I've been confining my conure to mostly one room with no scented candles or anything of the sort since I found this out. Would this be enough or should I move it (gender is currently undetermined) to the garage? I'd prefer not to move it to the garage since it gets really hot in there and it'll be harder for me to take care of it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh please do not move your bird to the garage. It will be so much easier to just stop using the candles and scented stuff so your bird can be healthy. What a lovely surprise some one gave you :)
What have you called your conure?

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Solitary confinement isn't a good idea. Parrots are social creatures and need company. I agree with Shezbug easier and kinder mentally and physically for you to convince your mother to stop burning scented candles.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
No candles are better then neurotic bird from isolation.

Niffler

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella
Thank you for the advice, everyone, it will most definitely not be in the garage. I'm currently trying to convince my mother to stop burning candles although she's putting up a fight insisting that it'll be fine as long as we close the door where it's cage is.

No name yet I'm really struggling to pick one that's unique and suits it.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If she won't stop I would definitely invest in a very good air purifier. It's not a 100% fix, but at least it's damage control. :( I miss scented candles, too, but if you can smell them the particles are in the air and will deposit themselves in the birds' lungs. Their respiratory systems are so much different than ours. (We do have 1 scented candle in the guest bathroom on the other side of the house. We only burn it for a short while when we have guests, but the wax smells nice even when it isn't lit. That is how we get our candle fix.)

There are several safe ways to make a room smell nice without candles. I like to simmer a pot of water on the stove & play with different scents. Orange peels and cinnamon or cloves is nice. Apples, lemons, or rosemary -whatever you want to try. It's cheaper than a $20 candle, adds humidity to the room (great during cooler months) and is safer for animals and people. Just because the candles won't kill you and me, doesn't mean we're not still breathing soot and other particles. Did you know that most candles have a thin strip of metal that goes down the wick? Yup, we're breathing that, too. Only unscented 100% beeswax candles with a pure cotton wick are considered safe, but they can be pricey & while some people say they smell a little like honey, I think they kinda stink. :shy:

Another way to freshen up a room is to spray some white vinegar (you can add a few drops of orange oil for scent). It'll smell like you're dying Easter eggs, but it gets rid of odors and leaves the room smelling nice and clean once it dries. I do it right before I leave the house so I don't have to smell it very long & I get to come back to a pleasant-smelling house.

White vinegar is also a disinfectant so my "air freshener" bottle is also my cleaning bottle. I like to keep things simple. ;)

Last edited:

Niffler

Moving in
Real Name
Isabella
I think I'll have to settle for an air purifier as a compromise... Wish I could do more but parents are stubborn :shifty:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You can only do what you can do. :) Thank you for thinking of her well-being and making an effort. Every bit helps!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Maybe you could give your mum some reading material on airborne particles (cigarette smoke for example) and how it travels under doors etc and how it is bad for every living being that breathes the particles in. Maybe she would care if she knew those lovely smells are damaging her lungs too? The only other thing I thought might help you convince her is estimate vet bill costs for illnesses that could easily be avoided.
Some parents wont care anyway (have seen it here a fair few times :(), I am sorry you are having this issue. It is stressful when you have very little control over the environment in which you live.

I hope the air purifier helps :)

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Stay away from these things with birds.

You cannot scrub with sage or balm leaves or any leaf as essential oils from leaves can jack them up fast.

Some organic essential oil of lavender in a spray bottle diluted is enough.

No chemicals either to clean.

I use raw vinegar or straight peroxide and I peroxide everything including floors and furniture.

Peroxide kills and no harm to you or your creatures just don't spray it on them.

I keep a large macaw and two parakeet and take care of a disabled family and my flat is clean and does not stink.

You don't have to live like a nasty bum to live with birds or any animal, just get up and clean and use the right things to do it.

One love