• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scary last 36 hours

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I’m glad to be home finally. I had scary and very tiring last 36 hours. Went into the er with chest pains and ended up having a blood clot in my left lung. As a non-smoker(Never had a single cigarette in my life) I had the total WTF look. I was told the blood clot could have started anywhere. But I’m home and resting. Just a good reminder to pay attention to what’s your “normal”.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is scary. It's good that they were able to diagnose the issue and that you are home. What did they do/recommend?

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Blood clots aren't necessarily related to smoking. It's only one risk factor from an entire gamut of possible causes.
Glad you're okay and that you acted quickly!

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I’m on a blood thinner for the next 7 days and a “no work” prescription. Basically I have to take it easy for a week.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Scary indeed. Good that you are at home how. I hope everything will be ok in short time. Did they give you injections to dissolve the clot?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad you're okay. I just had a person twenty minutes ago tell me they were in the hospital for a week because of blood clots. In his case it was because of leg injury and worked it's way into his lungs. Definitely scary.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear, thank goodness you did not ignore it and try to tough it out. I’m so glad you’re ok!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
In-law developed one from a long car ride.

Move the legs!!!

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Scary indeed. Good that you are at home how. I hope everything will be ok in short time. Did they give you injections to dissolve the clot?
Yes they gave me blood thinners through my iv while I was in and that dissolved it. Thankfully it was small but very scary. I’ve been sleeping all day. I just can’t find my energy bar.
In-law developed one from a long car ride.

Move the legs!!!
I walk everyday in the am. It’s been a definite eye opener. Is your in-law okay?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How scary! I am glad you are okay. :hug8:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Yes they gave me blood thinners through my iv while I was in and that dissolved it. Thankfully it was small but very scary. I’ve been sleeping all day. I just can’t find my energy bar.

I walk everyday in the am. It’s been a definite eye opener. Is your in-law okay?
She is on a blood thinner and I believe they put a filter in her. This was a few years back. They just drove for quite a while and sitting without moving is NOT a good thing according to the doctor.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@FlyingMacaws while on the blood thinner, be careful for the injuries or accidents (like hitting yourself on some furniture) because you will bleed easier and you will have bruises from the minorest hits. When my mother was on blood thinner, they told her to administer this to herself late afternoon after she did everything she had to do in the house, so she would minimize the risk of injury.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
@FlyingMacaws while on the blood thinner, be careful for the injuries or accidents (like hitting yourself on some furniture) because you will bleed easier and you will have bruises from the minorest hits. When my mother was on blood thinner, they told her to administer this to herself late afternoon after she did everything she had to do in the house, so she would minimize the risk of injury.
My doctor warned me about the easy bruising, he should have warned me about the bloody noses I would be getting. I’ve woke the last two nights looking like I was trying to do my best Hannibal Lecter impersonation. RIP pillow cases.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I hope that those weren"t your favorite pillow cases. I also believe that all things considered you still look better than Lecter :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hydrogen peroxide removes blood from white. (I quilt and got that tip from my mom's doctor).

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
That is scary. Glad you went to the ER. Hope you have a speedy recovery.