• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

scary behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Della

Moving in
Real Name
Della
I am hoping for some advice from lorikeet owners: I have owned my dusky lorikeet (Rusty) for almost a year, and he is about 2 years old. I believe him to be a male, but he has not been DNA tested. He is usually a delightful, loving, clever and playful bird, but over the last 5 weeks or so he has become intermitently aggressive, on 3 occasions flying at my face in full attack mode and drawing blood. There seems to be nothing to cause this behaviour, although I have learned that he does give one small angry warning to back off before he attacks. Although I left him alone, I gather I didn't go far enough away, because he flew to my shoulder and then launched his attack. I have been told that lorikeets can become aggressive in the breeding season. Is this what is happening? And if so, what can I do about it, and how long is it likely to last? I would like to survive parrot parenting with my face intact! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as he is a wonderful parrot usually, and I would hate to see the relationships he has established with the family spoiled by my ignorance of how to deal with the situation.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yikes...it does sound hormonal to me.....since you know the signs, make sure you avoid the situation..however, lorikeet owners will be sure to come on and help...best of luck to you

MerryWings

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rahni
Don't know if I have any more advice other then it's definitely hormonal, Alfie went through the same phase. One way of dealing with it is to reduce his daylight hours to try and switch off the hormones. Also, if it gets a lot worse, I would advocate giving him at least a light clip to physically prevent him from divebombing your face. With Alfie it was a matter of me and my families personal safety- both myself and my mum have nearly lost an eye to him! Don't let him get up higher then your shoulder (or prefereably not even that high) so that he can't actually launch himself at you. Other then that, be thankful he gives you any warning at all (most don't!) and learn to read your birds every single little bit of bodylanguage- when you are risking life and limb it's amazing how good you get at reading them LOL! Also, if he is becoming agrressive while he is on you, you could train him to step up on a perch so you can move him to a play area without coming into physical contact with him, at least until his hormones settle down. Good luck!

Della

Moving in
Real Name
Della
Thanks Anne for your support, and thanks Rahni for your thoughtful advice. A light wing clip might be a good move; he came to me with clipped wings, but as a newcomer to parrot parenting I thought I would let them grow out and see how he went. While he no doubt loves winging from person to person, it might be a good safety measure until he settles again. Will he settle again??? And if so, do I have to wait until winter, or will it happen sooner?? And is he likely to do this every spring??? Just like to know what to expect! I will try shortening his daylight hours as well to see if I can switch him off. Keeping him off shoulders will be a challenge, I can see, as that is his favourite spot. I will try firm training, but haven't found that he is easy to persuade when he has his mind firmly set on something! He is not trained to step up to a rod, so that idea might take a little time to implement. You have given me some good leads, so thank you so much. It is great to have some advice to work on!

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
My olive head lorikeet goes through
some hormonal issues. It passes. Just
be careful. He will return to his lovable
self.

sydelle

Checking out the neighborhood
i have the exact same problem. my red collared Lorikeet used to be the sweetest creature i have ever met. Family and friends loved coming around to play with her/him but now she is just a demon. she still steps up when i ask. she still enjoys her head rubs and rolling on her back but she is always trying to get to our shoulders and that's when the demonic behaviour occurs.

before she used to nibble on my ears now she just full out attacks for no reason what so ever. i think it is hormonal as she is a year and half and its breeding season but im at my wits end with her behaviour. will it stop when winter comes around? i cant take cuts and bruises all over my face and fingers much longer. At the present moment i have a hole in my lip and blue mark on my cheek because of her.

di_dee1

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Di
I agree it is hormonal and will pass.
I have my son's Jade lori here at the moment and so far, touch wood, he or I have not had these issues. I am sure he or I will though.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Ouch!

I would also ask if you have anything that can be used as a nest in the cage and if so take it out.

I got off easy with Noodle, she gets crabby but not vicious. Plus she is the size of a chicken nugget so even if she did go into killer mode I don't think she could do too much harm.

Also remember to never stroke or touch anything below the neck, this can stimulate the bird in a sexual way.

Good luck, sorry your tweet-heart is being such a naughty little teenager.

sydelle

Hi there

Has your little one started to change back to his/her normal self yet?

micd

Moving in
I'm a little late with a reply

I'm a little late with a reply as I just found this board. I have a 20 yr old Orange Dusky Lory. When he was about 3 he went through a vicious biting stage. He bit me on my lip twice, a few weeks apart, puncturing all the way through my lip both times. To avoid a big chunk of my lip being removed I pulled his beak out rather than pulled him off. Luckily his beak was so sharp and narrow that the scars don't really show.

The first time I put him in his cage and ignored him for a few days. I fed him and changed the water and paper but was so mad there was no cuddling or play time for him. When he pulled the same stunt again I did the same thing for a week. Since then every time he starts to get aggressive or nips me even just the smallest bit he goes right in the cage. Surprisingly it fixed the problem. While he was in the cage I continued to play with and cuddle my other birds and ignored him begging to get out.

Both times he did it there was a bit of warning where he reared back, dilated his pupils, fluffed his feathers and then lunged. Both times he was ticked off at me. I remember the first time was because he was bouncing on my pillow in front of my face (he slept out of his cage in a folded up sweatshirt next to the bed). I didn't want to get up so I put my hand in front of my face and pushed him a few inches away. I don't remember what triggered the second one but it was similar in that he didn't like something I did.

He is a bit of a bully and will intimidate anyone he can. Even my dogs who are trained to leave the room if he is bothering them.

Since most people won't put him away if he bites I step in and take him right to the cage if he gets too aggressive with my husband, mom or any visitor. Again, I have to say surprisingly, it works. Basically he doesn't bite me or anyone else and generally behaves himself quite well with company. Whenever he gets over stimulated I also put him away so he can't do any damage to anyone.

Good luck!

Michelle

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sydelle & Michelle, Welcome to Avian Avenue.:hug8: I hope you will post a welcome thread here~
Welcome Lane - Avian Avenue Parrot Forum & Other Birds Message Board

I hope our lori owners can help with some good ideas of methods they implement for this dangerous situation. Please, don't let your bird injure you, other pets, or people. There has to be some way to manage this time while it is an issue. It does sound like it is triggered by hormones. I know loris need wet foods, but if any warm foods are also fed, it is usually suggested{for parrots} that you stop during this time. I hope you find workable solutions.:hug8:

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My 4 year old male orikeet is on an artificial light schedule, with full spectrum AV lighting controlled by a timer - so other than feeling a temperature change, there isn't any difference in the seasons for my lorikeet to notice. Each season has the exact same amount of daylight hours.

I had a problem the spring / summer he reach sexual maturity. Back then, I didn't know anything about the importance of proper AV lighting. He never became violent though - but he did pluck out of frustration. Unfortunately, the plucking become a habit, but that's for another thread.

sydelle

My baby has returned to her normal self. No more craziness in the house only lots of love, kisses and ofcourse play.

Caught her playing in my moms hand, sometimes she will fall asleep like that. All depends on her mood.:lol:

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Glad to hear that. What a great pic!:)

sydelle

thank you :) she is learning a lot of words at a rapid pace too. She has finally mastered " hello love" . If she does go through craziness every year then so be it, her cute and loving phase completely makes up for it.

Della

Moving in
Real Name
Della
Hi. Just reporting that Rusty did settle down over time and returned to his lovable self, so I have no doubt that hormones were the issue. I have been in contact with his breeder, who told me that in his experience the behaviour will likely intensify next breeding season, and that the solution, he has found, is to give him a mate. He told me that in a similar case, he provided an untamed female dusky lorikeet, who was kept in an aviary, and his hand-reared male visited her for breeding and chick-raising purposes. As a result, he became loving and calm again when returned to his domestic situation. So....I have taken this advice, and 3 days ago purchased a female for Rusty. They have bonded very well, and I even saw them mate twice yesterday (surprisingly, as it is bordering on winter here). Thus, I may soon have a couple of dusky lorikeets to hand-rear, all going well. I will keep you posted as to the effects this course of action has on Rusty's behaviour.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for the great update.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.