• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scared of bicycles

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Echo goes out most days in harness.

Someone once rang the bell on a bicycle as they flew past us. Over time echo has gotten more and more nervous around them.

Today was a particularly bad day and even from a distance he's started to panic. If he thinks it's coming his way he tries to take off.

Need some advice on how to work through this with him. I can't avoid them. Today I just held him close and tried to sooth him with my voice. Of course it did nothing but on 4th one he hide behind me rather than fly off. Poor little guys heart was going so fast thought he'd have a heart attack :(

Need help and ideas.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Not much progress on bicycles except im getting better at seeing them before he does. Heart doesnt seam to be going as fast but i am cuddling him as they go past. Try to work on hiding behind me rather than taking off and risking injury.

Hope he snaps out of it soon.

I think he'd have a heart attack if we ever ventured into the city.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Great news!!

Somehow we have managed to overcome the fear of bikes.

Today we went out in our new hoodie as Melbourne weather is very cold atm. Well echo was yelling at the dog and talking up a storm. A few bikes went past and he was totally fine. As they rode away he even called out 'bye bye' to them. I think he feels invincible in his new hoodie. Normally he'd be in a great mood saying hello and calling dog when out for a walk until he'd see a bike then silence all the way home traumatised. Today he was back to old self pre bike issues. I also received an abundance of affectionate nose and ear nibbles. Think he was pretty chuffed.

IMG_20180628_175546_233.jpg

Pls no judgments about his hoodie. I know its not everyones cup of tea. This is purely for warmth so he can still enjoy his walks. It only happens he looks adorable in it too. Ps he can also still fly with it on.