• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scared new Budgie behavior?

chasethedude

Moving in
Hi! I got my little Danny from Petco a few days ago (i've been trying to find a breeder in my area for months to no avail and I saw this little guy and lost my mind), but there's a few things I'm concerned about. He doesn't seem to mind my hand too much. He'll either let me pet him or just move to the side a little. He'll occasionally land on my hand before he flies away, and I've pet him a couple of times on the belly. I've also gotten him to step up on my finger multiple times as well as eat some millet out of my hand. What concerns me is while I'm interacting with him or talking, he sometimes starts breathing a little heavier and moving his lower beak with most breaths. His tail has the slightest little twitch while he's doing it. I've also seen him snap his head and make a little sound that I can only compare to a sneeze. He only does this sometimes when I'm interacting with him, and in the past few hours he hasn't been doing it much at all while I'm trying to get him to perch. Is this something I should worry about? I must stress this has only happened a few times while I'm in his cage for a while. I heard the sneeze sound from far away only once or twice, not while I was near him. When he's alone in his cage he looks absolutely normal except for his tail moving about a centimeter with every breath (he breathes normal, no sounds) I've been playing parakeet sounds for him as I've heard it's enriching and he seems to love it, and I'd be willing to bet he's learned some new noises as I hear something new out of him everyday. Should I perhaps give him more time to warm up before I continue with his training? Thanks for reading!

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Should I perhaps give him more time to warm up before I continue with his training? Thanks for reading!
Yep! Congratulations on your new bird - very exciting! One of the risks of interacting too quickly is you prevent your bird from ever becoming comfortable. My recommendation is to give him much more time to settle. At least a week to figure out his cage and feel comfortable, then begin to spend time around the cage (more than your typical paper, food & water changes) talking, humming, singing, whistling as you go. Then begin to give treats from the hand (like the millet - over a period of days/weeks). Then once you know he is comfortable, happy, and confident, begin step-up training. These are rules of thumb, but great for avoiding a stressed out bird. You will probably have this little guy/gal for a decade or longer, so take it slow and enjoy the process. You should properly introduce yourself to someone (somebird) before you try to become its friend.

The breathing - to me - sounds like stress. As you learn the body language of your individual bird, you'll begin to see when he's stressed out. On paper - a new bird from a larger pet store that has only ever been previously handled when being caught and/or packaged for shipment or display is going to be made anxious by the presence of a human hand. While he may seem like he's being still and cooperative, internally he might be a little freaked out. Space is key.

The sneezing you notice is likely just an adorable bird sneeze. If it happens frequently and he shows signs of respiratory stress, consider taking the little guy for his first check-up - the tail bobbing motion isn't great. Sometimes the birds that come through Petco have been exposed to some illnesses that are best treated early. Again, stress can induce heavy breathing. If you notice heavy breathing when you're interacting - and think it could be because of the interaction - give him/her some space.

Just my two cents, but I bet some others here can weigh in!

Also: Welcome to the forum! Thanks for taking the time to ask questions about your new friend - that's what this place is all about! There are plenty of threads to read through about parakeet care, and there's always something new to read/learn.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most likely you are being too fast with him. Pet store budgies have little to no exposure to human touch and interaction. He is not feeling comfortable yet. Just leave him in a nice large cage for a week at least while you interact with him from afar. Let him hear your voice and place your hands on the outside of the cage a few times a day. If he goes to the back of the cage, away from your hands, then you know he is not ready yet. Slow, baby steps is how you should be approaching this bird.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Welcome to AA and Congrats on the new feathered friend. Please allow your Danny some time to adjust to his new life. Sit beside his cage, read to him, talk to him, just allow to come to you. Every time you pass his cage put a treat in his dish, a globe of millet, a nutriberry, a piece of nut, (just not peanuts) , call his name put the treat in his dish and walk away. This trust building with him, and very important.
As far as his breathing, he is stressed out, but keep a watchful eye. If this continues, please see a avian vet for general checkup.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You need to give him space. You haven't had him very long, and budgies need time to adjust.

Imagine if someone plucked you from everything you've ever known, plopped you down in front of a big scary giant, and they expected you to be happy and do what they wanted. That's probably what your budgie is going through.

My budgie was a pet store budgie, and it took him a long time to start to come out of his shell. And that's what your guy needs, too. Time and space, let him come along at his own pace.

chasethedude

Moving in
Welcome to AA and Congrats on the new feathered friend. Please allow your Danny some time to adjust to his new life. Sit beside his cage, read to him, talk to him, just allow to come to you. Every time you pass his cage put a treat in his dish, a globe of millet, a nutriberry, a piece of nut, (just not peanuts) , call his name put the treat in his dish and walk away. This trust building with him, and very important.
As far as his breathing, he is stressed out, but keep a watchful eye. If this continues, please see a avian vet for general checkup.
Thank you for replying! I pulled his sheet back this morning and he started again so I took him to the vet. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and if he ends up being fine, at least I won't have to worry!

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Glad he's OK.........probably just stress like everyone is thinking. So at least you know, "healthy"........and now you just need to focus on letting him get settled in and learn to trust you and that you are the provider of fun and delicious things! Ha.

chasethedude

Moving in
Thank you all! I'm going to give him a few weeks before I move forward with training. He's both eating and drinking properly as well. Apologies for my lack of knowledge, I'm glad to have learned more!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Just wanted to give you a big welcome @chasethedude - Danny sounds like such a sweet little guy, and I'm so glad the vet proclaimed him healthy! I got my 2 from a pet store as well, and it really does take time for them to get to know us. :welcome2: