• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scared lovbird

giorgi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Giorgi Gogelashvili
When I sit next to the cage they aren't scared they move around in cage. but when I start moving around or stand up they become very scared of me. so how can I make them trust me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How long have you had them?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's going to take a while. Be patient and try to move slowly while reassuring them with a soft voice.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Where is their cage located? Birds tend to do better if they're cage is against a wall so they don't have to be on "alert" from behind. Also if they're really nervous when you move around you can try covering their cage on three sides leaving the front open until they get more used to their surroundings. Again, so they don't have to be looking for danger on all sides.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Try just sitting with them and reading out loud in a friendly soft voice. My Lovebirds get all quiet, stand real still and watch me when I read to them. They seem to like it, they behave like it's soothing. I learned about this when I first came to this forum in February or so. Other's on this forum suggest this. After reading to them I go and change their water bowl and clean their food dishes and they allow me to do this without freaking out. It's a fun relaxing way to bond with your birds.

giorgi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Giorgi Gogelashvili
Try just sitting with them and reading out loud in a friendly soft voice. My Lovebirds get all quiet, stand real still and watch me when I read to them. They seem to like it, they behave like it's soothing. I learned about this when I first came to this forum in February or so. Other's on this forum suggest this. After reading to them I go and change their water bowl and clean their food dishes and they allow me to do this without freaking out. It's a fun relaxing way to bond with your birds.
I read to them but when I am reading they scream so loud I can't hear my voice

giorgi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Giorgi Gogelashvili
Where is their cage located? Birds tend to do better if they're cage is against a wall so they don't have to be on "alert" from behind. Also if they're really nervous when you move around you can try covering their cage on three sides leaving the front open until they get more used to their surroundings. Again, so they don't have to be looking for danger on all sides.
They're cage is againts the wall. I will try covering cage. Thank you for advise

giorgi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Giorgi Gogelashvili
When I sit next to them they don't seem scared they move around make noise and eat but when I move they are frightened. Also they usually sit farther from me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you play music for them or leave the TV on for them? Sometimes too much silence during the day can be scary for them too.

Katari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
So, I know this might not be helpful, but My lovebirds are still as scared as ever if I go near their cage. I've spoiled them and treat them a lot. No matter what i did they were set in their ways. Age plays a big part when it comes to lovebirds.

The two I have are very closeknit with each other and don't really enjoy anyone else, I still talk to them and make sure they know who I am, but it's been a good 9 months since I've gotten them, and they have adjusted a lot since then. (before they only stayed in one spot in the cage right next to each other only eating when no one was home so that it didn't attract attention to them)

Just take your time with them, my two are well over 7 years old, so that's why they are taking as long as they possibly can, but if yours are young, keep at them. Even some change is better than no change. make sure you give them fruits and veggies too, they love that!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Kat.......do you know if your Lovies are a male/female pair...........or same sex? I'm just curious because I just got two Lovebird youngsters and I purposely got two male babies. (DNA tested) They were nest mates and get along wonderfully now. I have every finger and toe crossed that they continue to get along after puberty!

Katari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
Kat.......do you know if your Lovies are a male/female pair...........or same sex? I'm just curious because I just got two Lovebird youngsters and I purposely got two male babies. (DNA tested) They were nest mates and get along wonderfully now. I have every finger and toe crossed that they continue to get along after puberty!

As far as I know, they are both male. The person we got them from asked for males when she got them as babes. She had her doubts and tried breeding them to no avail, they never produced any eggs at all (after 4 years of trying). But they don't have signs of being female, so we're pretty sure (95%) they are both male. I haven't had them DNA tested because there's nowhere near here that can do it, but there's a bird show coming to town, and I plan on getting 100% sure answers there.

But they are still as attached to each other just as they were when they were younger, I've seen pictures of them when they were babies and they were attached at the hips.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Be patient, give them time. I'm not a lovebird expert, but what everyone else said is good advice! It took 2 weeks for one of my conures and 1 week or so for my parakeet, but 1 month or so for my rescued conure. And the baby I just brought home, he was ready to come out the same day

giorgi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Giorgi Gogelashvili
They don't seem scared when I am next to them they even come near me but when I move around they become scared.

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
Its just a matter of time. Mines were also acting like this but after about a month they calmed down and they also come near the door of the cage when i stand next to the cage. And both of them are not tame.

giorgi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Giorgi Gogelashvili
So my lovies figured out how to open cage door and escaped from it. how can I get them back in cage? I don't want to scare them too much.

Last edited: