• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scared Baby

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
My new GCC, Winry, is scared of me. From across the room she will move around her cage, eat, and cuddle/play with her toy. She isn't all over the place like the other baby.

I would say 2/3rds the time I feed her, walk by, and refill water, she is crouched in a defensive/scared way. I know creating a bond takes time and effort, I just want to make sure what I'm doing is right.

I was reading next to her cage but have moved across the room as she seems more comfortable with that.

My other three are "normal" tempered birds so this is new to me. I see small improvements every day and look forward to building our relationship.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How long have you had her? Is her cage against a wall? That sometime give security. If you just got her, and she's really scared, you can try covering her cage on three sides and leave the front open so she doesn't have to be on "alert" from all around her. I think what you're doing sounds right- just spend time sitting with her and getting used to you.

Moshimaru

Avenue Veteran
How long have you had her? Is her cage against a wall? That sometime give security. If you just got her, and she's really scared, you can try covering her cage on three sides and leave the front open so she doesn't have to be on "alert" from all around her. I think what you're doing sounds right- just spend time sitting with her and getting used to you.
She's against a wall, but I will try partially covering her as well and see if that helps! It'll be a week this evening she's been home, and I know the trip was quiet eventful for her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Also, when you're not there, do you play any music or anything for her? Silence during the day can be scary for a bird because it means 'danger' in the wild.

Moshimaru

Avenue Veteran
Also, when you're not there, do you play any music or anything for her? Silence during the day can be scary for a bird because it means 'danger' in the wild.
She's quarantined with the other baby, and can probably hear all the household animals throughout the day, but I will see if I can outsmart the tv and radio and leave those on as well! Really, I'll do anything to help her come around. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new bird! It sounds like your doing the right things. Maybe you can move your chair a foot closer every day or two. Eventually she will get used to you. @sunnysmom had some good suggestions.