• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scare of a lifetime.. poor Felix..

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
So last night, I was in the kitchen at around 10ish at night- & noticed one of the kittens under the kitchen table, with something in his mouth, & he was gagging. I instincively knew it was something foreign, the way he was acting- called for my mom- told her I was pretty sure it was a needle. Was right. So, we wrapped him up in a towel & tried to get it out, couldn't, was afraid we'd do more damage than good trying ourselves. I was panicking which wasn't helping Felix or my mom/sister so I just left the room- I don't handle stress well sadly. They rushed him to the emergency vet which is thankfully open 24/7. This was about 10:30- then they got there to the vet about 11pm, did an x-ray, could see where the needle was & Thank God he didn't swollow it.. they made my mom sign something that said it could cost up to 2 thousand dollars & we'd have to pay it. I honestly don't know what we would have done if it had been that.. if they couldn't retrieve it they'd have to call in a specailist with a scope cause it was through the back of his tounge & into his esophagus... & you can't operate on an esophagus apparently..luckily they were able to get it because it had a thread on it. They had to sedate him obviously- & said once he woke up he could come home last night. So, we brought him back home & he's okay now- but omg talk about panic.. I hate it... I was so worried & couldn't sleep till 1:30AM.. :( it was way more than $300 & that was very stressful.. :( have a picture of the X-ray if anyone wants me to post it also. we have NO IDEA how the needle got in the floor, it was a sewing needle & we always make it a habit to put needles back when we sew- they leave the sewing kit in our hand, fix it & put it right back- we never lay it down- still don't know it got there. :(

Last edited:

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
:hug8: So glad it all worked out! Those little kitties think everything is a toy!

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
So scary! Glad everything worked out and the vets were able to help though!

eleni

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Eleni (Ellen)
Oh my gosh, that's so scary! So glad he's ok :hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poor kitty. Glad he is ok :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:TO All Of You. Those needles are so small and hard to spot that one could have drop without any one realizing it.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so glad he is ok!! :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So scary. Glad he's ok now. :hug8:

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
So glad you saw him struggling! Kudos to your mom for being willing to pay whatever costs there were. Not everyone would be. Glad the sweetie is okay!

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Oh, Lord, I would have panicked too! Thank goodness he's OK!