• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saying Hello and asking questions!

Kethry

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kethry
Hello! I'm Kethry!

I've been stalking these forums and others for a while now to gain as much knowledge so possible about birds. Since I was 12 I've wanted to have a pet bird who could be my best friend. I'm 22 years old now and I'm thinking of jumping into parrot ownership. I live with my BF in a nice house in the middle of the country. I work at a great job working 3rd shift (8:45pm-5: 15 am) and making quite a bit of money.

I've just fallen into a bit of a conundrum...I like too many bird species to pick one to be my first bird. I've done tons of quizzes and researched parrots for years and I've picked out a few that would make a great pick.... But I don't know how to pick. So I'm wondering what you guys think. (even though I've read tons of people asking... I think I just need to hear it from the parront's mouth.)

This is what I'm looking for in a parrot buddy: A small to a medium bird that is fairly quiet. I would like one that is playful and can hang out with everyone. I need a bird who likes to play by themselves for a bit while I sleep before work. While I love birds I would prefer them to be an only bird since I don't want to get my hands full with two... and have them bond with each other and hate me.

These are my picks(tell me what you guys think?):
  • Lovebirds: Small and funny. They were so fun to hang with. The downside... they are a little too small. I would be worried that I would hurt them.
  • Parrotlets: I've haven't been around any parrotlets, in person but I've watched many videos and read many articles on them. I love big personalities and they are very cute birds. Along with the lovebirds, I think they are too small.
  • GCC: These guys were super sweet and just loved to be with me. but I've noticed that they are a bit...nippy. The ones I've been around where always quick to bite with they didn't like doing something.
  • Quakers: Quakers were a great size and were very quiet. They were hard to get out of their cages but I hear that is pretty normal.
  • Caigue: Now these guys... I loved the Caiques to DEATH. They were so much fun and full of energy. They were not scared of anything. They loved to be with both my bf and I. They were perfect little bundles of joy. I loved their fearlessness and their playfulness. The downside.... Their starting price is a little more expensive than what I'm looking for in a first bird. While I could do it... I don't want to get one and is a handful. Their bites... Ouch! And Lastly I know how they can be when they hit maturity... and while I would expect it... I don't know how it would be for a first bird.

Help me decide on the perfect bird?
PS: Sorry for the long post... I'm just trying to get more info before jumping in fully.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Remember babies love everyone.

Quakers are the noisest birds I've owned. Definitely not quiet. Mine are independent, one person birds and I haven't been able to take a nap without ear plugs in years. Cage protectiveness is also very real.

The only bird that I can think of that hits all your points is a cockatiel.

Most birds do better with another bird in the house. It's instinct, especially if they will be alone for much of the day.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I agree with @Mizzely on the cockatiel. I have a green cheek and she can be loud. They can be nippy, but it’s easy to curb that. I also agree that birds can do better with others in the house. I have 3 currently. But when I started out with one, I left the tv on a bird channel (YouTube) while I was gone to work.

Kethry

Real Name
Kethry
Hmm Then maybe a Quaker isn't for me. From what I've heard they weren't very loud. At least not compared to a Sun Conure or a Macaw.

I would LOVE a cockatiel but... Both Bf and I were allergic to their dust. Just a flap of their wings made my eyes water and start to sneeze. : (
But they were so sweet and gentle... If we both didn't have bad allergies then it would be an easy pick. : )

They wouldn't be alone for very long. I would be gone during the night when they are sleeping. I only sleep about 4-6 hours a day IF that. So they wouldn't be alone for more than 8 hours during the day. Plus I've started to make some forging toys and other toys that my future bird would possibly enjoy. (Is it crazy I'm doing all this even though I don't even have a bird yet or even know what KIND of bird I want?)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
8 hours a day is still a long time to be absolutely alone for a flock animal. They simply are not designed for solo living. They have evolved for a flock.

Sucks about the allergies.

No, my quakers can't out shrill a sun conure but mine, at their quietest, scream a good 2 to 4 hours a day in a constant barrage of noise. Recently it was literally 10 hours of screaming every few seconds.

Green cheeks can be nippy but only if you aren't listening to them. They are opinionated and have good body language so they take offense if you aren't paying attention :lol:

I've gone the baby route twice now and never again. Adults you know what you are getting into; babies like everyone and then sometimes they grow up and don't love you anymore :/ I am not strong enough for the heartache anymore. So instead of looking for a species, go meet some at a rescue and meet the right BIRD. Because generalizations are just that, but having a bird fall in love with you as an adult is the greatest compliment and the better bond.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You might want to add a small Amazon to your list. A Green Cheek would be perfect.

Amazons are one of he best birds for independence, yet friendliness. They are usually just as happy chewing up a toy as being on you, perhaps even happier on the perch playing.

The smaller Zons are more quiet and not as much a handful as the larger more well known ones.

Photo: This is a Green Cheek, a White Capped might also work well for you.

See the size compared to a large Amazon.

IMG_0893.jpg

Kethry

Real Name
Kethry
That was going to be another question I was going to ask... the only rescue near me is kinda far. Plus they require you to do classes before adopting a bird from them... while i think smart...the classes are 3 hours away...and they have them at night while I would be working. Which is why all I've been around are baby birds.

I was thinking about a smaller Amazon. They are very cool or so what I've heard. I didn't want to deal with bad hormonal changes... just because I don't have much experience with it

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. How about adding a Poicephalus to your list: Senegal, red-bellied parrot, etc. They are not dusty and not usually noisy.

Last edited:

Kethry

Real Name
Kethry
Oh! I didn't think about those guys. I haven't had much experience with them either.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is a wonderful article for you to read before any decisions are made.

Flock Call - It's their choice

It's their choice
Kathy LaFollett 0 Flock Calls
I read a post today that went something like this; "I love scarlet macaws. I want to find one. I want one that is young, friendly, trained, and talks. Can anyone help me get one?" I appreciate the wanting part, parrots are intriguing to say the least, and absolutely mesmerizing when they use their full personality to get your attention. I really do appreciate that yearning.

Thing is, entering the world of companion parrots with a grocery list of personality traits like you'd enter a grocery store with an ingredients list for lasagna, is a recipe for disaster. And the parrot will pay the price.

This is about knowing yourself, honestly. Taking that knowledge and making a list of who you are honestly, and then searching for a companion relationship based on THAT list.

A parrot will not learn language if you are too busy coming and going to teach him. (he may not care to in the first place)

A parrot will not be friendly if you are leaving him behind for weekend trips and nights out. A parrot can not provide personality traits like a light switch provides illumination.

The age of a parrot does not guarantee anything about a parrot except it's age.

Rescue vs purchased baby does not guarantee a successful relationship with a parrot.

A parrot isn't trained. A parrot is taught through time invested via trust built on a relationship.

Wanting a parrot based on looks alone leaves out 99.9% of what a parrot is inside a relationship. You don't choose a parrot like you purchase a pair of shoes.

You choose a companion, who is a parrot, like you choose a friend. We all chose the people we are most like, and who mostly do what we like to do.

And every parrot is an individual with a simple core truth based on their breed. What comes from the core is potential that creates the friend we end up with in our companion parrot relationship.

Kirby is an Indian Ringneck. Most say IRNs aren't friendly. They are standoffish and trust slowly. Nippy and flighty. They don't like to be handled much, and they fight other birds. But Kirby doesn't know that. He only knows what he's learned inside his flock and from his relationship with me, and Dad.

Kirby is clingy, fearless, feisty, opinionated, loyal, loving, talkative, patient (well, not around food), silly, humorous and really...totally dedicated to me, and my shoulder. He loves to take naps with me when I finally sit still.

You will get what you give to your companion parrot. Give the right stuff and you will be out-gifted every day.

And if you take the time to visit rescues near you, you may not have to worry about all that choosing anyway. A companion parrot may just choose you.

Volunteer at a local rescue. Spend some time getting to know what and who companion parrots really are, I highly recommend being chosen.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Kethry

Real Name
Kethry
Wow! That was an awesome article! It makes me really rethink how I was going about this. I'm just wanting to make us both happy. I don't want to get a bird and have us be miserable... it would break my heart.

The only time I really REALLY felt a connection with a bird was from the Caique brothers I use to visit after work each day. They knew me and my BF. We would stay for hours just playing with these guys since they were so fun. Both BF were moving to a different state and different jobs. I got a call from the store owner asking when I was coming back because they were always calling more me. I came back the last day to say goodbye to them. I stayed for a good hour before heading to my new home.

Believe it or not... later I was back in town and I was I'm a petsmart for some reason... prob to look at the animals and to walk around. And I hear a screech... It sounded familiar... But I didn't think you much about it. It wasn't until BF pulled me to the end of an aisle... there was one of the brothers...

He didn't see me at first but when he did it was like hell had broken loose! I didn't want to walk up to these people And be like "Hey, I like your bird! Can I kiss it all over?" But before I could decide on what I should do he was already on the ground(wings clipped) and was charging at me. I kneeled down an picked him up. He immediately started to attack my hand... I think he was mad I was gone for so long. I did my evil laugh to see if he remembers as I try to not have him tear off my fingers. And the little bugger looks at me and does his evil laugh as he bites me. Of course the new owners were terrified of what was happening. I was dipping blood at this point. After talking to him he stopped and attacked my landard I always kept (his favorite game). His new owners were very sweet... But they didn't like how mean he can be. I told them all I knew about the little guy. I even knew his favorite food.

I really wish I had the time and money for those little brats at the time. Idk if I could ever feel a connection to a bird like that again. I've always had a love for birds... But that fueled it thousands times more.

If there was a rescue near me... I would live there. Lol

Cary

Meeting neighbors
I’m getting a crimson belly conure. They are a little quieter and cuddlier then a green cheek.

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
Welcome! You could try a budgerigar? They are fun and they can be very tame too. But they are rather small.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Welcome to the Avenue! Great choices in any bird you decide on. Parrotlets are tiny but big on personality and being active and feisty. I love them. Even though their size is tiny, they have no idea how little they are. They are tough boogers for sure. Most succumb to home accidents in the house. But if they are in a safe room, places to hang out, a stand or cage top with busy things to do and play with they are great.

Cakes :lol: are very cool, also very entertaining. I have loved them forever, but probably wouldn't have one since I love the Zons very much and if anything my number is 3 and that's all I can handle right now. If I add, it will be for sure a parrotlet again. My last Parrotlet lived to be almost 16.

Best of luck to you :)

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.