• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saw my first hummingbird ever!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just walked outside and saw something buzzing about from the corner of my eye. I thought it was a big ol big! Like a ciceda or something. But then I got a better glipse and realized it was an actual hummingbird. I only saw it for like 20 seconds and then it dissapeared into the tree so I couldn't get a pic. I can't believe how small they are! Wow! Made my day! I had no idea they were around here. Now I'm tempted to buy a hummingbird feeder

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Cool! I hope he comes back! A feeder is a great idea. I think @Mizzely has one :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cool! I hope he comes back! A feeder is a great idea. I think @Mizzely has one :)

I do! Didn't get it put up this year though as I knew I wouldn't have time to maintain it. This is the one I have

1014322.jpg

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'll have to look up more info on hummingbird feeders. I have no idea about any of it! That's a very cute one you have Shawna.

If I ever get a pic I'll definitely share it! Googling a little more about them August is peak season to see one in Chicago. Who knew!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How lovely, such a special treat to see in your own yard!
I hope you do get the feeder and manage to snap a few pics.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How neat! :fairy2:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I, to, just saw a hummingbird looking around my balcony. Unfortunately, the management doesn't allow feeders out on our balconies.
:idea2: Could you place one like @Mizzely's in a flower pot & lose the hanger? It sure looks like a regular ol' pretty flower to me! :innocent:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I have two feeders now to keep the fighting at bay. One is hanging from a tree, and the other is on a shepherd's hook. The style that Mizzely posted is the one I prefer. The first one I got has like 20 pieces when you take it completely apart and it's a pain in the butt to clean properly.

Be sure to make yourself (or purchase) an ant guard. I had a lot of trouble recently and finally rigged up some ugly ant guards. I used some emptied applesauce cups and stainless steel wire.

Windows are splotchy because it's been raining for 3 days, but you can see my ant guard.

20190814_161430.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have two feeders now to keep the fighting at bay. One is hanging from a tree, and the other is on a shepherd's hook. The style that Mizzely posted is the one I prefer. The first one I got has like 20 pieces when you take it completely apart and it's a pain in the butt to clean properly.

Be sure to make yourself (or purchase) an ant guard. I had a lot of trouble recently and finally rigged up some ugly ant guards. I used some emptied applesauce cups and stainless steel wire.

Windows are splotchy because it's been raining for 3 days, but you can see my ant guard.

View attachment 313022
Neat! Thanks for the pic! You get so many there are fights over the feeder? Do you make your own nectar?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just walked outside and saw something buzzing about from the corner of my eye. I thought it was a big ol big! Like a ciceda or something. But then I got a better glipse and realized it was an actual hummingbird. I only saw it for like 20 seconds and then it dissapeared into the tree so I couldn't get a pic. I can't believe how small they are! Wow! Made my day! I had no idea they were around here. Now I'm tempted to buy a hummingbird feeder
I saw my 1st one (s) last summer! Till then I was beginning to think they were an urban myth!!!

:sad10: None this year tho!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I saw my 1st one (s) last summer! Till then I was beginning to think they were an urban myth!!!

:sad10: None this year tho!
Right!? I thought they were an urban myth too! :joyful:

With how small it was and how oddly and quicky it moved I'm guessing they may've been around before but I've missed them or thought they were bugs :hehe::hehe:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's breeding season, and the males are pretty territorial when it comes to food. Having a second feeder has definitely helped with the fighting. Yep! I use the 1:4 ratio: How to Make Hummingbird Nectar | Audubon
Thanks so much for the link! Since I'm so new to this it's so surprising that sugar water can be a good source of nutrients for anyone! Since it's tried and true obviously that's what I'd do too but wow

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Thanks so much for the link! Since I'm so new to this it's so surprising that sugar water can be a good source of nutrients for anyone! Since it's tried and true obviously that's what I'd do too but wow
It's crazy isn't it? When flowers are fewer or when they're migrating, feeders help keep them hydrated and keeps them going until they can find flower nectar. They do eat small insects as well for protein.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's crazy isn't it? When flowers are fewer or when they're migrating, feeders help keep them hydrated and keeps them going until they can find flower nectar. They do eat small insects as well for protein.
Now I feel obligated to help them! Very good to know! Thanks!!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I visited w/ my neighbors today & apparently all the hummingbirds are buzzinf around in their yards. :bash: Didn't see any, but was told!