• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saving Vitacritter/Rubbing alcohol mixture - bad idea?

Attycakes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
I figured I should ask first to see if anyone else has done this. I just got a sample pack of all the Vitacritter dyes and it has been a lot of fun dyeing wood and getting crafts for the fids. :laugh:

I am using the 15oz rubbing alcohol to 1 oz vitacritter dye ratio and I have quite a bit left over in the bowl I was using. It occurred to me that though I am out of wood for this dye... it would be a shame to dump all the rest. There is still a good 10oz left in the bowl.

So question - would it be frowned upon to pour the dye back into the empty rubbing alcohol bottle I used? :o:
It seems like it would be logical for next time I want to use the color to have it already to go.

Has anyone done this?
Would there be any harm or possible ill effects?
:chin:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I would think it couldn't be too bad. Everything was new and clean and it is in rubbing alcohol. We have some members that dye their own wood. Maybe they would know. @aooratrix @Macawnutz @Mizzely

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do save mine as long as it has only been kept in alcohol. If you are mixing with any water, then the water can cause it to mold.

It definitely needs to be kept at room temp though. Cooler Temps the dye gets chunky (learned that the hard way!)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I use 90% isopropyl alcohol and store the alcohol/dye mix in sterilite tubs for dipping. I've had no problems and have been doing that for several years.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Parrots chew on natural wood blocks. Is it the human who wants to color? I know some parrots like certain colors. I am just asking why go to all that trouble?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Parrots chew on natural wood blocks. Is it the human who wants to color? I know some parrots like certain colors. I am just asking why go to all that trouble?

It is primarily for the person but some birds definitely prefer to chew colored woods.

It's just another form of enrichment, really. Variety is the spice of life :)

Attycakes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
I find for my chewers my perches tend to stay more structurally sound when I have more colorful toys to catch their attention or to dangle with - I won't lie though I love the brightness and color that is brought to the room with them.
For me, making their toys is such a huge creative outlet and I love playing with color schemes for the seasons. For me it's a great way to get crafty but also to ensure I am always keeping things interesting for the fids. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I've given both, and my birds prefer colored over natural by far. Accordingly, I dye the blocks. I do mix in natural shreddables for variety. Since their eyesight is so acute, I'm not surprised they're attracted to color. Of course, mine are spoiled.

And I misspoke: I use 70% isopropyl alcohol. I've got 104 blocks drying as we speak.

Attycakes

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
I've given both, and my birds prefer colored over natural by far. Accordingly, I dye the blocks. I do mix in natural shreddables for variety. Since their eyesight is so acute, I'm not surprised they're attracted to color. Of course, mine are spoiled.

And I misspoke: I use 70% isopropyl alcohol. I've got 104 blocks drying as we speak.
I agree with that, especially after reading the science behind how birds have an extra cone for tetrachromatic color vision and can see a huge amount of color that we as humans can't even see... I would imagine color is a very interesting and fun part of their lives. :) The vast amount of color that they would be surrounded by in many of their natural environments with all of the flora and fauna I am sure leads them to be surrounded by color quite frequently in their daily lives.

And thank you! I used the 70% alcohol as well. I think I might be addicted. It is so fun and soothing to do!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I agree with that, especially after reading the science behind how birds have an extra cone for tetrachromatic color vision and can see a huge amount of color that we as humans can't even see... I would imagine color is a very interesting and fun part of their lives. :) The vast amount of color that they would be surrounded by in many of their natural environments with all of the flora and fauna I am sure leads them to be surrounded by color quite frequently in their daily lives.

And thank you! I used the 70% alcohol as well. I think I might be addicted. It is so fun and soothing to do!

Agreed! I actually enjoy making the blocks and seeing their reactions when I refill skewers.