• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saving it for later

Kerplunq

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ryan
After feeding my Beardie, she ate and went to bask for a while. I went to check on her and saw this! Thought you would all get a little chuckle outta this

11180249_10155484661035162_1665423158_n.jpg

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I love beardies! They also have the most hilarious sleeping positions sometimes :lol:

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cute. How big will she get? I need sand and its out of season. Stressin....reptile sand is expensive. I've had luck with play sand in the past. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Cute. How big will she get? I need sand and its out of season. Stressin....reptile sand is expensive. I've had luck with play sand in the past. Any suggestions?
As long as it's a good quality play sand if you can find it then it shouldn't be a problem. Beardies do okay on newspaper as well. I always found newspaper easier to clean but it's not as visually aesthetic. I've never been a fan of most of the marketed reptile sands sold in pet stores anyway to even think about paying the price.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Yea I may try newspaper for now. I can get play sand in the spring.My iguana is picky. Lol

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Yea I may try newspaper for now. I can get play sand in the spring.My iguana is picky. Lol
:lol:
You have an adult rock iguana right? I've never owned a rock iguana but maybe try something like cypress mulch or coconut fiber if he/she doesn't swallow substrate and you can find it. I've always been worried about impaction so I stick with newspaper.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Yes she's a Cuban rock iguana, almost 5. When she was small I used mulch in a 40 gallon tank. Now for the past 4 yrs she's been in a 8x10 walk in closet with play sand on the floor. She doesn't like change and let's me know. Lol

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Yea sand can cause impactions. But in a natural environment, wouldn't she have sand? They lay their eggs in sand. Cuban rock and other island iguanas. Easy poop clean up too.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Has anyone made a "pig blanket" or a warm box for a reptile? Winter is coming... I wanted to try making one.

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Has anyone made a "pig blanket" or a warm box for a reptile? Winter is coming... I wanted to try making one.
I haven't, Kane is a popular pig blanket brand I'm aware of. Hopefully someone on here will have more information.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Yea that would be nice. Thanks for the info. She has 2 hot rocks,baseboard heat, 3 lights,a full window and an electric heater. Yea I'm on a lifetime payment plan with the electric company. Lol

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Yea that would be nice. Thanks for the info. She has 2 hot rocks,baseboard heat, 3 lights,a full window and an electric heater. Yea I'm on a lifetime payment plan with the electric company. Lol
Trust me, I understand :lol:I have a 76-82 F heated room year round. Now that my last lizard passed away this year after 11 years with me :( I only use flexwatt or solar panels for everything else that needs heat since UV isn't required for snakes/inverts/amphibians.

However, I've heard rock iguanas can have long life spans in captivity. It's not gonna get cheaper any time soon for you
:hehe:

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
I love her, she's worth it! Sorry about your lizard. My Cuban rock is the easiest pet I own. Knowing her moods and body language is key. Kinda like people. Lol I can tell what she needs and doesn't like. Clean up is the hardest part.Only been bitten once in 5 years. Can't say that about my conures!

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I love her, she's worth it! Sorry about your lizard. My Cuban rock is the easiest pet I own. Knowing her moods and body language is key. Kinda like people. Lol I can tell what she needs and doesn't like. Clean up is the hardest part.Only been bitten once in 5 years. Can't say that about my conures!
Most reptiles aren't difficult after you learn their body language. I've had my snakes between 7-10 years now depending on which one and none have bitten me so far (I have been bitten by other snakes but that was my stupidity). My last bearded dragon bit me once when my painted fingernails were the color of romaine lettuce.

My IRN however, has bitten me more than once before. :hehe:

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Yea lol the other day I had on camo slippers and she started to run after my foot! Some colors I wear she doesn't like. :)