• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sandy perch,yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Iv always read that sandy perches are bad for birds,cause if they stand on them to long they will get sores and such. But what if I got one and put in the an area that they most likey would use it,but not constantly.

This looks like a nice well made one,but im still unsure after all that I have read. If its worth it then I will be getting one for my current flock and my future Blue Crown.

Corner Sandy Perches for Parrots and Birds

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I'm not the biggest fan, but as long as you don't put them too high up in the cage and they don't spend TOO much time on it, it is perfectly safe. I also like the "safety" pumice ones (Bird Perches: Pumice conditioning perch from Drs. Foster & Smith) because they are only sandy on the sides, not the top where their delicate feed rest :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the reason that I was really considering it is that its a corner one,does anyone know of a place that sells corner perches that are not sandy?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I use that brand all the time along with other brands similar to it

I use them in forms of perches and swings. and my birds are on them A LOT and never have had a issue with their feet from them

What causes Sever feet issues are the "perch covers" and "tray papers" that are nothing more than Sand paper

These are NEVER to be used any where near a bird!

8 in 1 Sanded Perch Covers - Perches & Ladders - Bird - PetSmart

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
I got Fenway with one of those safety perches, she likes it. I also use concrete perches. Someone warned about pH problems with them but I tested all 3 that I had and they were fine. I put them in a place where they wouldn't want to hang out on them but would need to climb over.

Found it! Another manzanita corner perch :BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Manzania Corner Perch

those are sand blasted, meaning they have no bark left.

Last edited:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I Love plus I sell the Pedicure Safety Perch manufactured by Sweet Feet & Beak. The top of the perch is not gritty and the sides are as that is where their nail rests at. Unless your bird sits on these type of things enough, it will not do a whole lot of good on the nails. I always put mine up as high as possible so the likihood of them roosting on it at night is a good chance or even during the day. Birds most always like to sit high as possible. I sell 4 sizes of this type.

Attachments

Last edited:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I love the safety pumice perches but I also have some sandy perches and have never had a problem with them. It's a lot easier than having to towel the birds every few weeks and clip their nails. I still have to do it, but not nearly as often.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use sandy perches in all of my birds' cages, and I have never had an issue with their feet. If used properly (along with clean, natural, non-dowel wooden perches and rope perches), pumice perches are a safe and effective way to keep birds' nails trimmed. The legend is that these perches cause bumblefoot, but that's not accurate. Bumblefoot is usually caused by birds standing on dirty wooden dowels that cause wear spots because their surface is too regular--birds should have perches with a varying surface (more like natural branches if possible--but, most importantly, clean). The safety perches are nice, but I only have one of those; most of mine are just regular sandy perches and swings.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I Love plus I sell the Pedicure Safety Perch manufactured by Sweet Feet & Beak. The top of the perch is not gritty and the sides are as that is where their nail rests at. Unless your bird sits on these type of things enough, it will not do a whole lot of good on the nails. I always put mine up as high as possible so the likihood of them roosting on it at night is a good chance or even during the day. Birds most always like to sit high as possible. I sell 4 sizes of this type.
I use something like this as well, top is smooth and the sides are sandy. All my birds will sit on them and it keeps their nails trimmed. I don't have to have their nails trimmed as often. They also have a variety of other perches to choose from in their cage.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I love my sandy perches too. It's all in where you put them. You want them to use them, but not use them all the time. Generally speaking, if you put one in front of the food and water bowls and the bowls aren't at the top of the cage, you should be good to go. Parrots tend to like to perch, especially at night, in the highest place they can find. Putting a sandy perch up high in the cage might make them choose that perch as their main perch and then you can get sores. As long as you are checking their feet every so often and paying attention to how much they use the sandy perches, you should be fine. My birds not only dull their nails by using them but also take care of their beaks on them too.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
mine were chewing off the sand particles and eating them so i took them out right away :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.