• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sand bath?

Ember

Moving in
Hi, I have a 7-8 month old crimson rosella and I'm wondering if a sand bath would be a good enrichment. I don't know the benefits besides it's good for their skin. Any suggestion?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The moisture that the skin gets from a water bath is highly beneficial to your bird. Sand on the other hand, can dry out the skin and is not recommended for parrots.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm wondering if a sand bath would be a good enrichment.
I suppose it would be but I highly doubt your bird will "voluntarily" take a sand bath. It's not something "parrots" do.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah I agree with John, my lovies enjoy walking through sand sometimes so iT is enrichment but they do not bath in it

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I read that somewhere online , about wild birds rolling around in sand. I think for a pet bird it would be kind of messy to clean the sand . If you were to try it , I would recommend the white cleaned playground sand used for human children, it's still important to offer a large shallow vessel of water to bathe in.

Ember

Moving in
Thank you for all the comments, I know parrots don't typically but my bird was bought home from work due to his parents bullying him and he had sand in the avairy but I don't know whether he had ever bathed in it

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
When I was very young I saw wild birds taking a bath in sand. So I asked my dad why. He told me that the fine dust within the sand kills the louse on the birds.