• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sanctuaries

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
Hi - I'm unfortunately considering rehoming my 6y/o cockatiel to a sanctuary. I'm so wary about sending her to another home because you just never know. I also think she may be happier in a sanctuary - I love the idea of her being able to be outside with other cockatiels, flying and being well cared for but I know maybe all birds don't do well in sanctuaries? thoughts? we had another cockatiel before and he was absolutely obsessed with her - she didn't seem to care too much about him but she's very independent and he would follow her around preening her head. it makes me so sad to think about her being in a sanctuary for many years to come but I also think about her wellbeing here. she basically just waits for me to come home to my tiny apartment room. she doesn't even necessarily want to play or be on my shoulder much of the time, she just likes the company.

anyways I just wanted to ask if anyone knows a lot about sanctuaries and thoughts of whether she would be happy there or not

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
If there are a lot of cockatiels she might find one that she'd love to have as a friend. On the other hand, if she was hand raised and is super attached to people she might not appreciate the company of other birds. In that case, she might be happier having a human friend too.

Are you thinking of rehoming her because you are worried about her being lonely all day, or do you feel you can't care for her? Or, do you just feel she isn't too connected? You know what's best for your situation, but maybe having another bird in the house is an option with separate cages? That way she has someone around, but she gets to have her space. My rescue, Candela, loves people and doesn't appreciate the other cockatiel getting too close, but I do think she likes having a buddy around to watch her back. :) You might also consider another female, a hen might not be as pushy as a male.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
If there are a lot of cockatiels she might find one that she'd love to have as a friend. On the other hand, if she was hand raised and is super attached to people she might not appreciate the company of other birds. In that case, she might be happier having a human friend too.

Are you thinking of rehoming her because you are worried about her being lonely all day, or do you feel you can't care for her? Or, do you just feel she isn't too connected? You know what's best for your situation, but maybe having another bird in the house is an option with separate cages? That way she has someone around, but she gets to have her space. My rescue, Candela, loves people and doesn't appreciate the other cockatiel getting too close, but I do think she likes having a buddy around to watch her back. :) You might also consider another female, a hen might not be as pushy as a male.
yeah I really thought about that a few months ago and was looking at rescues for birds - however im 19 and I just don't feel like I'm at a point where I can do that logistically and financially. I love birds to death and I definitely wouldn't be able to afford vet bills if they got sick which would kill me. My dad helps me pay for bills for my tiel now (because she was also technically a family bird) but another one would definitely be my responsibility. It's also just so difficult especially if I need to be away for the weekend or go visit family where I can't bring her. I boarded her at my vet on a few occasions but I just feel so guilty. She's only really attached to me but even then she really just likes me being in the same room. she's pretty indifferent to other people and me much of the time. It's so sad though because every time I leave and come back she's in the exact same place. I also want to go abroad eventually and I know I couldn't bring her which makes me feel selfish. I absolutely adore her and wouldn't trade her for the world but if I had known that circumstances would require me to take her to college with me I probably wouldn't have been on board with getting her just because I wouldn't be able to give her the life she deserves.

I don't know if this is stupid but one of the reasons I think she would do well in a sanctuary is because whenever I play her cockatiel sounds and videos on my computer she gets so excited and tweets a lot - to the point I play her regular music instead of bird music when I leave because she gets so loud in my apartment lol

I love animals so much to the point that its difficult for me to have them... I just feel so much responsibility for their lives that I often begin sacrificing the quality of my own :( and I wouldn't have it any other way but its so hard when im 19 and I don't have anyone to help me take care of her.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A lot of sanctuaries turn out to be hoarding situations. Be very careful if you go this route.

I don’t know but would imagine real sanctuaries might keep spots for unadoptable or seriously ill (mentally or physically) birds. A 6 year old cockatiel is highly adoptable. Have you considered working with a parrot rescue?

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
yeah I really thought about that a few months ago and was looking at rescues for birds - however im 19 and I just don't feel like I'm at a point where I can do that logistically and financially. I love birds to death and I definitely wouldn't be able to afford vet bills if they got sick which would kill me. My dad helps me pay for bills for my tiel now (because she was also technically a family bird) but another one would definitely be my responsibility. It's also just so difficult especially if I need to be away for the weekend or go visit family where I can't bring her. I boarded her at my vet on a few occasions but I just feel so guilty. She's only really attached to me but even then she really just likes me being in the same room. she's pretty indifferent to other people and me much of the time. It's so sad though because every time I leave and come back she's in the exact same place. I also want to go abroad eventually and I know I couldn't bring her which makes me feel selfish. I absolutely adore her and wouldn't trade her for the world but if I had known that circumstances would require me to take her to college with me I probably wouldn't have been on board with getting her just because I wouldn't be able to give her the life she deserves.

I don't know if this is stupid but one of the reasons I think she would do well in a sanctuary is because whenever I play her cockatiel sounds and videos on my computer she gets so excited and tweets a lot - to the point I play her regular music instead of bird music when I leave because she gets so loud in my apartment lol

I love animals so much to the point that its difficult for me to have them... I just feel so much responsibility for their lives that I often begin sacrificing the quality of my own :( and I wouldn't have it any other way but its so hard when im 19 and I don't have anyone to help me take care of her.
No judgement here. I saw your post in bird boulevard mentioned more of your personal reasons.

I got my first tiel when I was young and kept her throughout college and beyond. But, I lived at home and I didn't socialize much in college. I'm happy I was able to grow up with her, though I do have some regrets she spent time alone without another bird or person around when I moved out.

I think based on your goals and the stress you are feeling that you are correct that a single bird isn't right for you, especially with wanting to go overseas. I usually advise people to let their bird wait for them, but it sounds like you can't promise a defined timeframe.

I would agree with @Sparkles99 that many sanctuaries can be hoarding situations, so tread carefully. I also feel that she might be quite happy at a rescue where she has the chance to go to a multi-bird pet home. Independent doesn't mean she doesn't like people. Candela is super independent and reacted to other cockatiel sounds, but she is happiest when humans are around.

Now, if your girl is scared of you/humans I think that's a stronger indication she wants to be in an aviary.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
No judgement here. I saw your post in bird boulevard mentioned more of your personal reasons.

I got my first tiel when I was young and kept her throughout college and beyond. But, I lived at home and I didn't socialize much in college. I'm happy I was able to grow up with her, though I do have some regrets she spent time alone without another bird or person around when I moved out.

I think based on your goals and the stress you are feeling that you are correct that a single bird isn't right for you, especially with wanting to go overseas. I usually advise people to let their bird wait for them, but it sounds like you can't promise a defined timeframe.

I would agree with @Sparkles99 that many sanctuaries can be hoarding situations, so tread carefully. I also feel that she might be quite happy at a rescue where she has the chance to go to a multi-bird pet home. Independent doesn't mean she doesn't like people. Candela is super independent and reacted to other cockatiel sounds, but she is happiest when humans are around.

Now, if your girl is scared of you/humans I think that's a stronger indication she wants to be in an aviary.
thanks so much for the advice. I so wish that there's somewhere she could go until im at good place but I just don't see that happening for quite a few years. I've looked at rescues like phoenix landing and Companion parrots rehomed in Charlotte but it seems like there's a long wait and I haven't heard back from either of them. I do understand what you mean and am thinking I should look more heavily into getting her into a multi bird home like your saying. Any suggestions on places to look besides rescues?? im in NC if that helps
Also, the sanctuary I'm looking at has a board of directors and sponsors and my current avian vet is actually on the board of advisors so I feel pretty okay about them as a whole but I'll get a better feel once I go visit.

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors

yeah I don't think she's super scared of humans, just a little wary and doesn't like some people. she's definitely not scared of me but can get pissed when I try to get her to step up when she doesn't want to or when she cuddling with me and I move lol she's a feisty girl!!