• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

same diamond dove egg bound

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
That same hen that egg bound before. She laid a single egg shortly after the others hatched but the chicks were lost. She suddenly refused to sit on it a few days later and the male was getting very upset trying to force her to. I candled it and then opened to confirm it had died within the first couple days. I removed the nest but kept a little laying supplement in the seed mix along with the cuttlebone. After a month break I put a deeper nest with clean material in, added a halogen uv spotlight, and increased the laying supplement. She produced an egg but somehow despite having to sink down into the nest so you can only see her tail she managed to land the egg out of it and it was broken. I found it yesterday when the male was insisting she sit on the empty nest so I expected an egg today if she was going to lay a 2nd. Today I noticed she wasn't appearing on perches or in the nest. I can't quite see the floor of the cage but she should have been doing something at the food/water/grit/perches/nest.... at some point. I found her panting on the bottom. She's in a damp paper towel lined container on heat and I'm warming up a more complex powdered supplement mix. It has fruit, calcium, vitamins, probiotics, and some honey. Not sure about her recovery chances this time.

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
Well I went to give her more supplement and she seemed to be breathing less hard but I guess she was just too tired. She made a last attempt at staying alert and died. I am not against butchering animals myself so with a male on the nest I did a necropsy but I didn't find a whole stuck egg which I didn't see a swollen vent so I wasn't sure if the egg was farther up but it turns out not. I found 2 yolks and only a membrane. The lower digestive tract was empty but there was some recently eaten seed. I don't know if there was just something wrong with that hen. She actually laid 8 eggs before I got her but only raised 1 chick and laid 4 with 1 difficult one she recovered from and then this event with me. I'm not entirely sure what killed her if there was no shell and while it's a darn small bird to try to identify structures in, the smallest thing I've seen before was meat quail, I saw no impaction and normal colored organs.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm sorry for your loss, unshelled eggs are a calcium deficiency, even though we supplement, it can still happen.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm not entirely sure what killed her
Oh come on. You have a bird that has exhibited problems with egg laying in the past and yet you still encouraged it to lay more? Seems pretty obvious.