• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Sam Axe Update

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Hello, I don't post often but Sam and I are still around!
Warning, super-long post ahead. :blahblah:

:scarlet:
To recap a little about Sam; he's (supposed to be) 20 - 25 years old, came from an abusive situation and has a broken wing, and he did not want ANYONE touching him. No stepping up. No scritches. No toys (the bigger the scarier). No floors. No humans that weren't Ma (me) were to be welcomed with anything short of "battle bird".

He got used to bigger and bigger toys before we moved, still on the small/medium side of things, baths became fun times (spray bottle, no touching) and he learned other people, while still unacceptable, were not all dangerous (his "battle bird" taught them not to get any closer than the doorway) and grandma was to be regarded with upmost hostility.

Since we moved to Florida, he's changed a lot. (Over six months of being here)

He's not the terrified bird I met almost three years ago (we met April 2013) or even the overly-attached and fearful bird I brought home on October 3rd 2014 who regarded me as the only other being who was not scary.

Now he greets new people, doesn't hate Grandma (and actually likes her when I'm not in the room he isn't aggressive with her when I am there, per se he just lets her know that I'm his favorite) and the "battle bird" pose hasn't been seen in a while. He plays with (and destroys, still slowly but he gets them) macaw-sized toys, hangs upside down, can preen his own tail, and his favorite word in the world is still "WHAT?" and "MA!" a close second if he feels that I take too long to return. He's still quiet for a macaw, unless there is a man walking past the window with anything that remotely looks like a stick, but all in all, still quiet. He loves to whisper, and talk, but is still not a screamer.

Then, we started to play a game, "Bop the beak". It started with a paper that I would touch his beak with and he would grab and shred (when he's not happy, he walks away from a situation so he seemed to like it) and I would say "Bop!" When I made contact. That paper, perhaps not the wisest way for me to start a game where the goal is to grab and shred, eventually evolved to my hand. Which, was an evil part of the human body for quite some time, became part of a game (granted, mine was paired with yummy goodies and an assortment of positive things) and he learned that he had to be more gentle with the hands or I'd stop playing. Not that he really did even a portion of the damage that he's capable of, a scrape here and there, but I didn't want it to escalate. So, we play that game when we have our time together. When he's done, he climbs away and I let him be. He knows where to be if he wants to play.

That was big. I never forced him, if he'd been unhappy about the game he would be very clear with his chicken noise (no better way of putting it) and a disgruntled climb away. Which still happens on grumpy days when I am in the way of where he swings his tail.

So, last night, I expanded the game a little. Nothing too different. I pulled my cuff around my hand and just pet his beak. Intrigued with this twist, or not annoyed enough to leave, he checked it out. He let me pet his head last night more than he'd ever done before for the period of time that he did. :swoon: I stopped and we went back to our normal game.

This morning, I decided to organize his room. I've been meaning to for a while now but, today I just decided to do it. I let him out, given that I was going to be in there, he might as well be out.

Well, that stinker decided that today was the day for a change! He crawled to the floor and waltz right over to my leg (and one of his toy boxes) and checked everything out. He preened my leg, investigated what I had and looked at me. He stayed for a few minutes before he climbed back up. I snapped as many pictures as I could. He came down a second time, waddled over, and then retreated to the safety of his cage.

I know many people's macaws roam the floor, but, I never really expected Sam to number among them. And I think it's pretty awesome that he decided to! :scarletc: IMG_1553.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1558.JPG So, just some fun updates on our end! :)
Please excuse the mess - I was mid-organizing/clean when it happened!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How heartwarming!!! Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work. It's awesome that you let him set the pace. That's the way to go!

PS. He's GORGEOUS!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
It took a long time with Lurch too, but the end results are so worth it as long as you have the patience to let them go at their own pace.
Lurch still has pissy/grumpy moments but now I'm his chosen one and we have come to a understanding and are still working out the rules.
Once you have their trust and love they are yours for the rest of their or your life. Good job and keep slowly working at it and he'll slowly to probably much faster start to open up his horizons and blossom in your care.:highfive::heart:

WASP

Meeting neighbors
That's wonderful!!
Sam is very handsome and you are both very lucky to have one another
:bounce4:
All your work and patience is building a beautiful relationship built on trust, and that is one of the most wonderful and worthwhile things in the world.

Congratulations on a very special moment with Sam that you were lucky enough to capture forever!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Thank you! :heart: The one time I had my phone on me I was glad I did!

Thank you Matthew! :)

And thank you, Terry! I try to do right by him, it's only been a little over a year that I've had him home with me so I'm excited for what's to come.

It's amazing how much he's changed when I first met him to now, it's been a short time considering how long-lived these guys can be. With his improved strength and balance, his confidence has grown and it's been wonderful to watch! :D

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are proving that patience is key with parrots :heart: Sometimes that's difficult to remember :heart:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This was great to read! I am so glad he is safe with you now. I like how you let him progress at his pace. By the way - he is absolutely beautiful!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Okottahige I love the photo of him "licking" your leg - they have the nicest soft leathery tongues ever. It sounds like you are both settling in and congratulations are definitely in order!:hug8::hug8::hug8:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I just now saw this thread & I'm crying happy tears for sweet Sam! :hug8:
upload_2019-3-6_18-18-20.jpeg

BeanieofJustice