• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sam Axe playing

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph

After rotating several times, Sam Axe is finally playing with some of the harder macaw toys. He usually doesn’t touch hard woods but my vet said to just keep rotating them in - one day he could “find his beak”.
Nutz toys are pretty great, and I was glad I could capture him doing this! :D Sneaky monkey that he can be.

Filming him or getting pictures is hard because once he sees the phone he drops everything to come over and see what I’m doing.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sam Axe is doing a good job of becoming a "real macaw". It takes time if they have never had toys.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think the title to the video is perfect...Sam Axe IS learning to Macaw...;)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
He is gorgeous! It’s so great when they start playing with toys, good job sneaking the camera on him!
Thank you! :D He love balsa and stainless steel but the big kid toys he always seemed to shy away from.
That’s great! :dance4:
Thank you! :D I'm proud of him!
Sam Axe is doing a good job of becoming a "real macaw". It takes time if they have never had toys.
Thank you, he is. Years of coaxing him with small and medium toys, showing him how to play, it's exciting to see him play with "big boy toys" when I first met him, he was terrified of bigger toys. So we started small.
I think the title to the video is perfect...Sam Axe IS learning to Macaw...;)
Thank you!! A big moment for my boy! :D

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Good job Sam!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A great video!❤

Nice to see Sam taking an interest in the larger toys... get your wallet ready :lol:

Oh, and Sam Axe, you are a beautiful bird :loveshower:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
He's so handsome and he seemed to really like that toy. I think my GWM would like it too. Is that one of Sarah's?
Thank you from both he and I! Yep! That's a Seriously Nutz toy; Busy Blockz ~ Seriously Nutz ~ Foraging Toys for Macaws & Serious Chewerz
I love her toys - hopefully your Greenwing likes it! :)

A great video!❤
Nice to see Sam taking an interest in the larger toys... get your wallet ready :lol:
Oh, and Sam Axe, you are a beautiful bird :loveshower:

Thank you! Ha, it's not bad timing considering my full time job will start this August. I have actually been hoarding bird bird toys for a while :hilarious: and both he and I thank you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That’s wonderful!

Filming him or getting pictures is hard because once he sees the phone he drops everything to come over and see what I’m doing.

^^ mine too.:geek:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
That’s wonderful!
^^ mine too.:geek:
Thank you! Ha, they are funny that way, aren't they?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Look at him being big. :lol:

Kailua knocks around toys yelling them, doesn't chew the swinging ones.

Sam looks great and all rhat matters us that he is happy... whether big or little toys.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Look at him being big. :lol:
Kailua knocks around toys yelling them, doesn't chew the swinging ones.
Sam looks great and all rhat matters us that he is happy... whether big or little toys.

Thank you, and he thanks you too! And I agree - he still loves balsa, shreddables and stainless steel, it's just fun seeing him in action. :) If he wanted little toys the rest of his life that's what I'd get him, no doubts about it. I just like switching in the bigger ones to change it up for him. I wasn't sure he'd ever play with his big boy toys, much less when I'm around. I usually come home and he's destroyed what he wants to destroy.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Congrats buddy, have at it! :joyful:
It's really special seeing such a seemingly simple thing actually be a huge sign of progress and of course, happiness. :xflove:
Good on you to be a sleuth with the camera.

My GW will chew larger hard toys but her favorites are one extreme or the other...quickie softy popcicle sticks or jingly metal toys. I make my toys for the girls but bought a couple metal ones from Nutz a few years ago and they're still good.

Does Sam Axe like noisy toys? Mine are obsessed. :meh::roflmao:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Congrats buddy, have at it! :joyful:
It's really special seeing such a seemingly simple thing actually be a huge sign of progress and of course, happiness. :xflove:
Good on you to be a sleuth with the camera.

My GW will chew larger hard toys but her favorites are one extreme or the other...quickie softy popcicle sticks or jingly metal toys. I make my toys for the girls but bought a couple metal ones from Nutz a few years ago and they're still good.

Does Sam Axe like noisy toys? Mine are obsessed. :meh::roflmao:

Thank you! It's been a long road to get him there. It's good to hear other people's macaw also like the super-soft toys, don't-last-an-hour toys. I need to buy balsa in bulk for him. I usually make my own because what he likes he goes through very quickly. Oh man, he LOVES the noise makers, he has one of those heavy duty bells that he will got to town on when he's in the mood. Once my new job starts up I plan on getting him more because making SS toys for him isn't an option for me :p. I wish he'd chew more to keep his beak in better condition but, at least he loves to crack the nuts open.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Good boy! ♥
I can understand the feeling seeing this.
I hope he continues to play with these toys now.
:)