• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Salt water for disinfecting cuts

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Somehow Burt has managed to cut his beautiful white skin just on the lower part of his cheek. I am not sure how to describe exactly where it is but it is the little bit of skin that is under the cheek, behind the lower beak and next to the neck hollow they have. It’s only been cut for approx five minutes and I don’t know how he cut it and it’s not bleeding any but the skin is definitely ripped open and I feel I should clean it but I am unsure what I should use. It does not seem to be bothering him as he just scratched over it a heap of times with his nail. He may have even done it with his nail? I usually use alcohol for cleaning people and salty water for the dogs and cat if needed. What is safe to use for my bird so I don’t have to worry about infection?
Thanks in advance.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
For little cuts I need to keep clean, I use Vetericyn. I have a little tube of silver sulfadiazine cream 1% (from the vet) to prevent infection.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have never heard of Vetericyn or the cream you mentioned. I think some of the medications you have available are not always the same as what we can get here.
I have used some clean water then sea salt in cooled boiled water as I was not sure what human first aid stuff I could use on him without harming him.
I will call the vet tomorrow when they open to ask what I can use on him that I can either get from the chemist or from the vet clinic. I also think that maybe I will ask what items I should have for a bird first aid kit for times like this one. I have some things but obviously not everything and I think I would like to be a little more prepared if anything ever happens to him again. Luckily this is very minor but it has been enough to let me know I need to learn more about bird first aid care and products.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'd ask the vet and see. The nickname for it is "SSD". Aussie vets might have their own equivalent if not the same thing. See about what they recommend for wound washing as well.

:hug8:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for replying @Peachfaced. I will ask about it when I call and also see what they recommend I have in a first aid kit for him.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can use sterile saline that's sold as human eye drops. Just make sure it's only saline and no other meds or chemicals.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Small wounds or abrasions From Dr. Foster Smith

If bite wounds are small, superficial, and not bleeding, clean with betadine or hydrogen peroxide. Use a tweezers to remove any dirt or feathers. Then apply a small amount of antibiotic ointment. It should heal within a couple of days. Do not allow the bird to pick at it. In case of deeper cuts or wounds, seek veterinary advise as further treatment may be necessary.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Saline is good for cleansing, flush it well, and then apply some manuka honey or aloe vera if you have nothing else..hope hes ok!