• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Salmon ok for birds?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt has fish from time to time when we have it but it is not usually salmon......tonight my son has decided we are having salmon for tea.
When he cooks it he never adds any oil or anything else to it, just wraps it in foil and oven bakes it.
I am guessing a small amount of it will be fine for Burt but just wanted to check before actually giving him any of it later on.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, a little bit of salmon (well done) is really good for them. Lots of omega 3 and good oils in it.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Salmon is good for both them and us.
But as fish isn't a parrot's natural food I only advice to give small amounts of it.

I'm a lazy basta*d so when I cook my salmon I add the fish in the same saucepan as I cook the carrots and the potatoes in when it's 5 min left.
It make the salmon to taste even better and the same with the potatoes.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you both @Hankmacaw and @Eloy for your replies :)
I was not able to access the site for most of yesterday so I decided to only let him have a very small amount to taste. He loves fish and chicken so much but he was not as keen on the salmon as I thought he might be.....which is just fine with me because I don’t particularly like salmon much either lol.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I just really am not a fan of fish of any sort to be honest. The smell and texture kind of grosses me out. Lol Some fish I can pretend to enjoy or at least kind of eat without putting effort in. I’ve tried many different sorts of fish cooked many different ways and to be honest it is my least favourite thing to eat along with white potatoes :)

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you both @Hankmacaw and @Eloy for your replies :)
I was not able to access the site for most of yesterday so I decided to only let him have a very small amount to taste. He loves fish and chicken so much but he was not as keen on the salmon as I thought he might be.....which is just fine with me because I don’t particularly like salmon much either lol.
My Toos love chicken leg bones with a little meat left on. they especially enjoy scouping out the marrow. I always give them their own chicken leg bones not something I ate the meat off of before. Not too often mostly for a treat.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think a one-off would be okay, but I wouldn't make it a regular part of a parrot's diet due to the levels of mercury and other heavy metals present in predatory fishes' bodies.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@tka, I had thought about the mercury levels as they worry me for people even! He has a small amount of fish maybe once every fortnight (less than teaspoon but more than a pinch if you get what I mean).
Chicken he has a the same amount of maybe once a week most weeks. He likes the chicken bones but not nearly as much as the meat, he tends to play with the bones more than anything....I try to only give him the less fatty parts of the chicken when he does have some. My grandfather had a one winged rescue SC2 that loved to do the same as your birds @Just-passn-thru. He would also try to steal the raw beef bones from the working dogs who were terrified of him so we had to make sure they were well out of reach :lol:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No I did meant with a well behaved Maxi parrot on your table. :D
Ahhh, I am sorry I misunderstood you :)
I certainly have not had such a well behaved Maxi to enjoy a meal with.....to be honest I do not think I have ever even seen a Maxi in person and now I feel like I am missing out!!!
It is a very lovely photo of your bird and your meal and if I did enjoy fish a bit more I surely would be very jealous of what I see in your pic :joyful: