• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safest Bird Bowls & Safest Cleaning Methods?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@Hankmacaw That's great to know! It's usually the other way round for me when trying to find these things. I'm glad we have something! :roflmao: Thanks for the information!

@JLcribber it's honestly paranoia. My Button has had reoccurring bacterial related health problems for over a year, and it's made me very paranoid about, well, everything.
I'm still trying not to stick him in a bubble. I need the reminders.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm pretty happy now sticking to SS bowls. @Colbon2 really wish I could find ceramic bowls like that here!

I understand completely. If I had a recurring infections going on I would be paranoid too.

It's not so much what bowls and things are made of but how their handled. If you keep things like that clean then I don't think that is the source. If it keeps coming back then you haven't found the source yet. I hope you can find it.

My approach (like Shawna) to things has always been that a certain amount of germs and bacteria is needed in life for all of us. The key to me is preventative by working on and boosting the immune system. Making it strong with diet and exercise. Things like antioxidants, omega 3, amino acids, vitamins, trace minerals. Good food is medicine. Bad food is poison.

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
@Hankmacaw That's great to know! It's usually the other way round for me when trying to find these things. I'm glad we have something! :roflmao: Thanks for the information!

@JLcribber it's honestly paranoia. My Button has had reoccurring bacterial related health problems for over a year, and it's made me very paranoid about, well, everything.
I'm still trying not to stick him in a bubble. I need the reminders.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm pretty happy now sticking to SS bowls. @Colbon2 really wish I could find ceramic bowls like that here!

I ordered mine from Windy City Parrots in the USA. They cost me a fortune in shipping fees, but they are very worth it! Ill attach the link hopefully it'll work.. I ordered 8 oz and 14oz. 8 oz is good for every bird up to the size of a quaker parrot. 14 oz I would use for amazons or larger conures such as the golden conures or blue crown. They are heavy though so you need strong cage bars to support them.
Replacement dishes feeders food clips in sizes for your bird

Birblover

Meeting neighbors
@Monica I thought I did, but nothing has made a difference so far. My vet is also stumped. I'm still looking. I may have to revisit everything I've already tried and ultimately take him back for more tests.

@Hankmacaw I'll definitely look into it, thank you so much! Have you used it as well?

@JLcribber I'm trying my best not to remove all the germs from their lives, but I'm so worried he picked it up from something I'm unaware of.
I've been trying to change his diet too, but he's not eating as much as I'd like. He eats less than Peggy and will eat very little to no veg (unused to it) and will only eat his pellets.
He also doesn't seem to get enough water, so I tried taking the pellets away but he didn't eat. I can't afford to not get food into him right now, so I need other ideas. I want to try a mix next.

@Colbon2 These are great! Thank you! I'm going to have to save up, cause I really gotta get some! :)

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, I too had/have chronically ill birds. Hank who died five years ago after being very ill for almost the 15 years I had him, had virtually no immune system after two rounds of Asper and several bacterial infections. The Dr. and I concentrated on rebuilding his immune system and DMG was one of the things we used. Red Palm oil is an excellent supplement and giving that to your bird will support his immune system. The last three years of Hank's life he was pretty darned healthy. He died from a carcinomic thyroid tumor (cancer).

When Hank contracted MRSA I kept everything immaculately clean and disinfected. When you have normally healthy birds John and Mizzely are right, but when your bird is chronically ill cleanliness is super important.

Birblover

Meeting neighbors
@Hankmacaw I can't imagine how that must have been for you. I bet it took a lot of work, and Hank was very lucky to have you taking care of him.
I am also very glad to have your input and advice. It's been scary. I feel a bit overwhelmed with trying to keep him from getting sick again.
I know it's stressed him out too because I've been so stressed, and so many changes have been made around him this past year. I was actually having a bad week about it emotionally when I made this thread. :facepalm:
We are both doing better now though and I'm just determined to get him healthy again. I'll be trying to get a hold of some DMG or Red Palm oil ASAP. Thank you :heart:

Last edited: