• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe waffle maker?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Does anyone have any recommendations of a safe waffle maker/waffle iron? I'd love to have some waffles but don't have a safe waffle maker.

Thanks in advance!!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hmmm so many of the new ones have a sort of nonstick surface...Have to be careful!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hmmm so many of the new ones have a sort of nonstick surface...Have to be careful!
I've seen some that claim to be "PFOA and PFTE free" but I prefer to hear what other like-minded folks have to say. I think experience is really valuable :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its scary & lucky I don;t really need a hairdryer. I fear my air corn popper. Even some coffee makers...The old non stick irons....lucky I have pre teflon irons & dont iron clothes!

Still its hidden in alot of high heat appliances, heaters, etc...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Its scary & lucky I don;t really need a hairdryer. I fear my air corn popper. Even some coffee makers...The old non stick irons....lucky I have pre teflon irons & dont iron clothes!

Still its hidden in alot of high heat appliances, heaters, etc...
I'm glad I have really short hair (and my dad has next to none lol) so the hair dryer isn't an issue for me. We had an air popper, but I made my dad put it away and now we just do it the old-fashioned way, on the stove. And we have a coffee maker somewhere, but my dad uses one of those stove-top percolator things.

Not gonna lie, when we had to burn off our new stove (old one was making big "phwoomfh" noises and jumping off the floor and away from the wall)I was terrified for the boys' safety. I stayed outside with the bird and the frog for like 7 hours, it was annoying and tiring but I was too scared to bring them in.

And teflon can't be good for people, either... If it'll kill birds in 5 minutes, I wonder what it does to the human body?
This seems like a good list: Top Waffle Makers Without Teflon - Best Waffle Makers & More

PTFE and PFOA are the chemicals in teflon that are toxic. If it is free of those things, it should be safe.

Ceramic is safe :) Blog : 3 Bird Safe No Stick Cookware Alternatives -
Awesome! Thanks Shawna! :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Who knows what all these things in our lives are doing to our bodies. All I know is people do seem to be getting more cancer. Not just one cancer either. They survive one & then sometimes get another & even a third unrelated cancer.
WTH????

Teflon gas kills the birds but who knows what the gas/ teflon residue impregnated food does????

Our lives are full of appliances, products, chemicals & even the food we eat is covered with insecticides & laden with chemical fertilizer. Its creating havoc with our bodies & minds.

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Because of the fids I looked into a vintage cast aluminum waffle maker, and I love it. Bought in pristine condition -- the grids looked completely unused. Makes beautiful waffles that never stick.

The one I bought doesn't have a thermostat, but I just time my waffles so not a problem (I got the GE -- it's a beautiful art deco style piece). Just one more option, if a bit more esoteric.

Vintage Waffle Irons Fully Restored

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
WOW!!!

I have the 2nd one sunbeam 1945 to 1955!!!

Really only used it once but they are great!!!! May sell it as I never use it!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I think my grandmother had an older one (wayy before teflon) but my dad says he's not sure where it is (and if one of his siblings took it.) I know she used to have an awesome one that had the plates for waffles AND pizzelle. That had Teflon though, which is a shame.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I bought a Belgian waffle maker a few years ago from Target. I can't recall the brand but I believe I posted on old threads.

I love mine.

I heated it outdoors for the burn off. It was awful.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I would've thought to get rid of any chemicals from the manufacturer.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We ran it for 3 cycles out in the garage, it had a smell when we first took it out of the box but after dad cleaned it, it didn't have a smell. So here we go! :fingerscrossed:

MorganP2468

Meeting neighbors
If you have an air purifier in your house or the birds room would that make things safer for the bird?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
An air purifier will likely not work fast enough to eliminate toxins in the air from things like teflon

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I was going to suggest vintage too, or a stove top cast iron, or skip the maker and make Japanese souffle pancakes.