• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe toy supplies from Michael's in Canada?

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Hey everyone!
I am getting my Cockatiel in about 2 weeks, and definitely need more toys. I saw some nice stuff in the kids section at Michael's and was wondering how I tell if they are bird safe?
Hoping I can find some cheap toy alternatives.
Thanks!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Birds are expensive! Better get used to it:) !

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Birds are expensive! Better get used to it:) !
Pretty much what Saroj said! It's time to get familiar with our vendors. I personally like buying my own supplies to make toys, I like Makeyourownbirdtoys.com .

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks!

I definitely realize birds are expensive. Just between buying all the supplies (cage, toys, perches, etc.) And a nice emergency vet bull out of my savings, I don't have tons left over to buy more toys!
I have a few and am planning to just buy 1 or 2 every pay so I can rotate, but also thought it might be fun to build my own.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You want toys your bird will shred and destroy. Otherwise it's not much of a toy. So instead of rotating think replacing. It will be fine. Congratulations on your new baby!:heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Welcome to cabirdnerds.com -
this is where I get my toy parts. Ann has safety certificates for many of her toy parts. They are made specially for birds.
@taxidermynerd could you please post the link to where you get your toy parts too?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting a cockatiel. What kind and how old? I also get my toy parts from CABN and Make Your Own Bird Toys. Have also purchased from Blu's Bird Toys but store is closing. :( However, items are still available and at discounted prices so you can check that out. Make Your Own Bird Toys and CABN having sales right now, too.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Congrats on getting a cockatiel. What kind and how old? I also get my toy parts from CABN and Make Your Own Bird Toys. Have also purchased from Blu's Bird Toys but store is closing. :( However, items are still available and at discounted prices so you can check that out. Make Your Own Bird Toys and CABN having sales right now, too.
Thanks!

Not sure what kind, the breeder is in his 80's, so doesn't do social media or texting. My friend who set it all up said that the baby is going to be around 12 weeks or older, hand fed and started the taking process and it's grey with white wings.

My friend is bird lady galore haha! So right when I asked about Cockatiels she said that she knew a really great breeder.

Basically I get to take the back seat and until I pick him/her up.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks!

Not sure what kind, the breeder is in his 80's, so doesn't do social media or texting. My friend who set it all up said that the baby is going to be around 12 weeks or older, hand fed and started the taking process and it's grey with white wings.

My friend is bird lady galore haha! So right when I asked about Cockatiels she said that she knew a really great breeder.

Basically I get to take the back seat and until I pick him/her up.

Make sure he doesn’t clip him!