• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe to move on to sharing a cage?

Jimmy

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
So my old and new cockatiels don't quite get along. They can generally coexist alright, I've seen them happily napping while sitting about 15 cm away from each other. But if either of them gets too close the other will squawk and nip at them. There hasn't been any injury so I think it's just threatening/warning to back off? I have also seen tail pulling, toe biting and toy stealing. But again no injury.

Would it be safe to move them to living in the same cage? Or is there a danger that doing so could escalate the behaviour and lead to one of them actually hurting the other? This is my first time owning birds so I'm not sure what is normal and okay, and what is a sign that they should keep different "home bases". At the moment they have separate cages (but in the same room) where they sleep at night and have their own set of food and water dishes, but they spend most of the day out in the room. They both like to hang out on the roof of the larger cage which is where they encounter each other. So would it be safe to sleep in the same space at night and share the food and water?

If it makes a difference, the cage they would share is pretty decently sized, 102 x 54 x 177 cm.

Thank you for any advice!! :heart:

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
If must be housed together i would make sure you give 2 distinct halves of the cage with separate water and food and perches. Sort of a mini territory. It is normal to warn each other about coming too close if they are not bonded and most birds will squabble over perches or food but rarely does it require violence unless females are involved!!! Like most animals. Keep a good close watch over them and make sure one bird doesn't already consider that cage their own property or it could cause friction.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Would it be safe to move them to living in the same cage?
No. And it will probably never be. "Everyone" needs their own personal space when they "do" get along. Never mind if they don't. Unless your cage is 6ft x 6ft so its an environment. Not a cage.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
The alert to me any nipping I would never house them together. They may be doing warning to each other but only takes that one time when it's not a warning.

Jimmy

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Well that seems like a pretty solid answer already haha! I only asked because of course the upkeep of one cage would be faster than two, but I will never ever prioritise my own convenience over my babies' happiness. I will leave the living arrangements as they are. Thank you for the quick helpful response :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would say no. Right now when they nip there is a chance to get away so there is no real battle. Housing them together takes escape away,and could result in injury.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well that seems like a pretty solid answer already haha! I only asked because of course the upkeep of one cage would be faster than two, but I will never ever prioritise my own convenience over my babies' happiness. I will leave the living arrangements as they are. Thank you for the quick helpful response :heart:
If at some time in the future "they choose" to sleep/stay in the same cage then they will. This is "their" choice.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I would not put them in the same cage if there are any signs of aggressive behavior...even the "gentle" tiels can hurt each other. I had tiels that shared the same cage for years...and one day I came home and found one attacking the other.

emdh

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elizabeth
I would not put them in the same cage if there are any signs of aggressive behavior...even the "gentle" tiels can hurt each other. I had tiels that shared the same cage for years...and one day I came home and found one attacking the other.
I also had this happen-two that got along for years and then one started bullying the other-not really attacking definitely bullying around food and water. I ended up separating them.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Honestly, my two hate each other sometimes, and will bicker and bite each other over as much as a look :eek:
But then, they both climb into the cage together at bedtime, and absolutely FREAK when they're separated.

It's a bit of a different situation because my guys have a whole room to themselves and can easily get far away from each other. If they were trapped in a cage all day they'd probably fight a lot more, and a lot worse.

I'd let them decide - if they roost together at night in the same cage, it's a good sign.

Last edited: