• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe interior paints

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I've been doing research on voc free interior paints only to find that some colorants aren't voc free, and some companies make false claims about their paint being voc free. And apparently some voc free paints have other harmful chemicals they don't advertise. I've looked into things like milk paint but it seems to be more for furniture than walls, and it's difficult to use. We can move the birds out of the room while painting, but can't move them out of the house as they have nowhere to go. The whole thing is driving me a little crazy. What kind of paint do you use?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I need to bump this one up. If anyone has a list of brands that are safe to paint with the birds in another room or safe for the birds to be away until the paint dries?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
The Eco Paints look pretty good. I think the birdies would not have to stay away long at all

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Do you move them to another room or remove them from the home for a day?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Do you move them to another room or remove them from the home for a day?
Need to know this as well! My son is asking for his room to be painted when we get him a new bed and athough the birds are on the opposite side of the house where I can close doors and have fans on, I'm still worried about them being in the house period. Do you have to buy the Eco paints online only? Or are they sold at at least one store?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I move them from the room still. I buy mine online.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I have done eco paint through out my house I am am a big fan of the paint no odor etc. I had put the babes outside when the painter was here cages and all. I am in love with the paint very durable for clean up.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Just got off the phone with my vets tech who says even if they are low/no VOC the birds need to be out of the house for a week. Sounds long to me. This is for both pain and carpet

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I can take them out of the house for a week it's just inconvenient having to travel a few times daily to feed and take the birds out. Especially when they aren't allowed to fly where they would have to stay . They would go to mother in laws, but she has a 3 story house and all 3 of my birds are flighted. They would have to stay in the cage for a week straight. They've done it before, but it was in my house where they know where they are.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
My vet gave the all clear on the paint since she was the one that suggested it. I had a vent out fan in window that the painters brought, and the babes were outside all day, obviously my babes are doing awesome after the painting this was 4 months ago, no effects noted and I have asthma and I was fine and breathing well after. Seriously no odor whatsoever in my house.