• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Foods for Aracaris

staryberry

Meeting neighbors
There's been some talk in here recently about what foods are safe for aracaris. I thought I'd share with the group the food list that I put together for myself. My husband and I keep it as a jpeg on our phones, so we have access to it when ever we are shopping.

To make it, we combined the info from this food list that Jason Crean helped put together.
http://2candoit.us/Aracari Food Guide.pdf

I took out all the foods that were not acceptable, and also added some information from the produce "dirty dozen."

Mindo's Food Chart.jpg

The color coding has to do with what seasons the fruit are ripe in. Blue is all year, green is spring, yellow is summer, orange is fall, and red is winter. I hope people find this to be useful!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Very good, thanks!:laughing12:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Limit the amount of grapes. •The have higher iron over time. •I know others feed grapes. •My vet though discourages grapes and starts seeing aracaris with problems at age 9.

staryberry

Meeting neighbors
Limit the amount of grapes. •The have higher iron over time. •I know others feed grapes. •My vet though discourages grapes and starts seeing aracaris with problems at age 9.
I've been doing some research and I haven't been able to find anything about a change in iron levels in grapes over time. Since we only feed Mindo organic grapes, we are limited by the fact that they are only available a couple months a year. I'd be interested to see where that information comes from, though. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Jerry Jennings who owns Emerald Bird Gardens and feeds hundreds of toucans per day, feeds produce from Mexico without issue. It is Chile that is to be avoided. He also uses grapes as part of their staple diet.

Lorli

Meeting neighbors
Alcy likes sweet potato (cooked in the microwave, then chopped) more than anything. We share peaches and cherries, but I am afraid to give whole cherries - isn't the pit dangerous?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ahah..she has a name!:dance4:Yes the pit of a cherry, and also apple has a cyanide compound. Good to see you posting Lorli.:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Apple seeds have cyanide compound in it. The rest of the apple is good for birds.
You just took what I wrote out of context, or I wasn't clear. I said the pit of cherry, and also apple{pits} have a cyanide compound.
;)

staryberry

Meeting neighbors
Then we are in agreements :hug8:

I have a random question for you. Pico has a way longer beak than Mindo, and it's more serrated as well. Has it grown that way over time? Mindo turns 1 next week, so he's younger than Pico.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Beaks "mature" with age which includes the serations. •And with everything genetics have affect such as his beak not being quite as long as another.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, what Peggy said.:)