• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe cleaner for rug?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So we have a big rug in the living room that can't be washed in the washing machine. That being said, we also have a teeny puppy that we rescued and an older dog that sometimes have accidents on said rug. What's the best bird safe cleaner to use that will also remove the smell? I really don't want to throw my rug out, it makes the living room look so complete and cozy:xflove:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I know of a couple of options
Make a paste with baking soda and water.
White Vinegar and water. You can also use a white vinegar and water solution in carpet cleaners.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Do I let it sit and then wipe away or scrub it into the rug and then let it sit, ect?

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Dab as much of the pee out of the carpet. Don't rub it. Then use either the paste or vinegar/water solution. Scrub and then soak up as much as you can. Either one may leave a white residue on the carpet just use a damp paper towel to remove. If the baking soda leaves baking soda behind once it dries vacuum.
You can also blot the carpet pour straight baking soda down on the area and then vacuum when dry.
I would put dry newspaper down or block the area so that the carpet isn't stepped on when wet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Many of us use F10 in our carpet cleaners. It gets the rug really clean, does a certain amount of disinfecting and takes the smell out.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Many of us use F10 in our carpet cleaners. It gets the rug really clean, does a certain amount of disinfecting and takes the smell out.
I didn't even think of that. I think I still have some on hand. Thank you!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Okay I’ve been searching for the last few weeks and just found my f10. Well hubby found it when we were converting the bird room. We borrowed one of the bissell ones (like you can rent from Lowe’s or Home Depot). How much do I need to add to it to clean a medium sized area rug?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
About 15 cc of F10 to 1 gal. of water. Usually I just dump some in.