• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Sad Update>Very weak Claybirdie, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
I haven't been on here for a while, I've been busy but... I went to a friends place for a 3 days and Claybirdie apparently stopped eating. She already has a chronic underweight issue that we have been working on for the past year. She has lost a lot of weight over theses couple of days. Her sternum is extremely pronounced. She had stopped talking yesterday, and that is when I realized that she was not right. She is wobbly and gets very fatigued when she tries to move. Last night I fed her some formula,and gave her a seed stick. (She has ignored her pellets and veggies) She ate most of the seed stick and about 25 cc of formula. This morning I fed her again, she ate 25cc and ate some of her seed stick, and a bite or two of her peanut butter sandwich. Afterwards she went to the bottom of the cage and is sleeping. Not fluffed up, or laying down thou. But she stayed on the bottom because she doesn't have the energy to climb back up.

I think it is a good sign that she is eating, and I plan of hand feeding her 3 times a day if she will do so. I'm waiting to see a poo, since I didn't see one yesterday. I use ACV in her water, which helps with her respiratory issues. She has scared lungs and nasal changes from severe lack of vitamin A for most of her life. She is 31, and lived in a room with a heavy cigar smoker for the first 15 years of her life. And like most was fed sunflower seeds. When her owner died claybirdie went to my friend who continued to fed her seed, but gave her some fruits and veggies. I have had her for a year now and I have made tremendous strides in her health, she eats like pig and eats pellets, and her fruits and veggies......

I can not go to a vet as I have no money at the moment. Seriously...my electric is about to be cut off. She did go to the vet about 3 month ago for breathing issues and aside from her cigar smoke damage she was underweight but healthy. What else can I do, besides formula? Her food and water is at the bottom of the cage with her, it is warm in the house since we do not use AC. Any supportive herbs that I can use?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
re: <Sad Update>Very weak Claybirdie, help

Try to keep Claybirdie warm and somewhere where she can't move around too much. You don't want her falling off a perch and getting hurt due to her being unbalanced. Maybe you can take the perches down or lower them so she doesn't her hurt herlself too. Has she been exposed to anything toxic like teflon, air fresheners, fumes etc? You can continue to handfeed her if that is helping encourage her to eat. You can try also offering mushy foods like oatmeal, moistened pellets, etc as well. Is she breathing ok? I know that you had said that she had a respiratory issues previously. I think that calling the vet and telling them what is going on is a good idea. Maybe they can work out a payment plan with you or you can volunteer in the office to pay off the bill.

Last edited:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty

My suggestion too you is get her to an avian vet asap!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Kimba this sounds VERY serious. Can you see if an avian vet can work with you on payments? I think this is beyond home care. There is also something called Care Credit that you can get for pets. Please look at the Care Credit info link, I will look it up.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

Once they've lost weight and are unsteady, it's a very bad sign. I understand you cannot afford a vet right now but I would call up the closest Avian Vet and ask for help. You don't have time to wait on this and I don't think this is something you can take care of without a doctor's care.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

If you have the money, go to the food store and in the baby section, get the 4 bottle package of Pedilite...open one bottle and cut it 50/50 with her water. Mix her hand feeding forumla with the Pedilite for the next couple of days and if she will take you feeding her 3 or 4 times a day..Please do so.....
If you can't get Pedilite, do you have honey or karo syrup? 1 TBL per 4 oz of water to help give her a lift but becareful, this can cause a yeast infection if given too much...
Keeping her warm right now is very important...is it around 88 to 90 degrees in your house? If not, she needs this air temp around her for her to MAINTAIN her own body temp...this is so important...birds temps run around 105-107 degrees....if they spend their own energy keeping up that temp, they can't get the energy they need to get better....
Please keep us posted...
You also need to make sure she is hydrated and giving her a CC or two of Pedilite/water every hour wouldn't hurt...
:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Thank you BF for the post. :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

Praying for Claybirdie :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Kimba, where do you live?

Kimba

If you have the money, go to the food store and in the baby section, get the 4 bottle package of Pedilite...open one bottle and cut it 50/50 with her water. Mix her hand feeding forumla with the Pedilite for the next couple of days and if she will take you feeding her 3 or 4 times a day..Please do so.....
If you can't get Pedilite, do you have honey or karo syrup? 1 TBL per 4 oz of water to help give her a lift but becareful, this can cause a yeast infection if given too much...
Keeping her warm right now is very important...is it around 88 to 90 degrees in your house? If not, she needs this air temp around her for her to MAINTAIN her own body temp...this is so important...birds temps run around 105-107 degrees....if they spend their own energy keeping up that temp, they can't get the energy they need to get better....
Please keep us posted...
You also need to make sure she is hydrated and giving her a CC or two of Pedilite/water every hour wouldn't hurt...
:hug8:
Thanks! I'm trying to put a light on her to keep her warmer, I will have to move her cage to do so thou as there are no outlets by her cage. She just pooed, nice perfect poo! She also drank some water, and gave me kissing noises, which is a good sign. She is still on the bottom of the cage but is awake and looks a little better. FYI.....she is a bottom of the cage dweller, she always has been, she likes to sleep in a hut and spends most of her time on the bottom of the cage fussin with toys and stuff. She is not breathing hard at all and is a little steadier, but not much. Will do on the pedilyte.

I can't get care credit, I have bad credit on the account that I am disabled and I make very little money on disability. I have tried. And i have tried the payment method at the vets.....nope, not an option. I only get paid once a month and it is the middle of the month, hence no money at the moment.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

Can you offer to do some work for the vet? Filing, cleaning? etc?

Ginger

Kimba

I can't because of the nature of my disability, my disability is why I no longer work with parrots or animals, but thanks for the suggestion.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

praying hard for Claybirdie..:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Kimba can you try what BF suggested?

Kimba

I have! I have moved her to a smaller cage covered on 3 sided with some heat. She woke up and ate another 30 cc, she no longer has those dull dehydrated looking eyes, and is perching while sleeping! She is steadier, but not by much. She drank on her own and also nibbled some seed stick. She is not puffed up and had pooed twice and both poos look great! No diarrhea, her breathing while moving is a little better. She can always see her breathing when she exerts herself because of her scared lungs and destroyed nasal passages, but it was very pronounced. Not as much now. So all in all a little better. Hopefully she will continue to improve.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

I have! I have moved her to a smaller cage covered on 3 sided with some heat. She woke up and ate another 30 cc, she no longer has those dull dehydrated looking eyes, and is perching while sleeping! She is steadier, but not by much. She drank on her own and also nibbled some seed stick. She is not puffed up and had pooed twice and both poos look great! No diarrhea, her breathing while moving is a little better. She can always see her breathing when she exerts herself because of her scared lungs and destroyed nasal passages, but it was very pronounced. Not as much now. So all in all a little better. Hopefully she will continue to improve.
This is good news! Keep her warm and feeding her and don't forget to hydrate between feedings...if she will eat oranges or apples etc. this also will help get liquids into her...
Keep us posted! Good job!!!!!!:hug8:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan

Sending Positive thoughts for Claybird.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

That is wonderful Kimba. I think the hydration is very important along with what BF told you to do. Many prayers for Claybird that he is and will feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.