• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(**Sad Update**) SICK

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindee77

Strolling the yard
Hello I am new to this site.. I am a bird lover our family has six birds. Our female cocktail is extremely sick. She was at a vet hospital for two days I was not happy and I took her to another vet. They believe she has ovarian cysts. They gave her a shot of some form of birth control she is also on a antibiotic. We are almost a week out and her breathing is bad and she is exhausted. The only good sign is she is eating and drinking. She is only three and is not egg bind. We are running the shower and having her in the bathroom. Something is still wrong.. please help..

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Can you give us an idea of where you are in this world? Someone here might be able to refer you to a cheap/free vet or an teaching college that may be able to help you. I hope your little tiel girl will be okay.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
:bump7: :bump8: :bump8: @srtiels Anyone in Utah who might be able to pitch in. Do you know if the vets you saw are certified avian vets? What were you told by either/both vets and do you have anything in writing from either that you can share here? I'm sorry to ask so many questions when you're trying to get help but anything you can state here will help others help you and your fid.

mindee77

Strolling the yard
The first was a emergency vet that was open twenty four hour. We took her there last Wednesday at twelve at night. They thought she was egg bind and really thought she was going to die. They kept her for two days and told me the X rays they did weren't good but she didn't have a egg but saw a mass. Told me to take her home. Same day went immediately to another animal hospital. When doctor saw my little girl Phoenix he could tell she was extremely stressed labored breathing. He was nervous by him just handling her she would pass. He called the other vet and asked for all records and tests. They ended up doing another X Ray and he thought it was Ovarian Cysts. So he told us it should take a week for her to get back to normal and we would have to continue getting birth control shots for her monthly. He also wanted us to continue the antibiotics for five days. She has a really hard time going to the bathroom. Her color on her feet and face are not normal. She is so sweet I will do whatever it takes. The vet told us we are loving her to death. I am so WORRIED.

mindee77

Strolling the yard
How do I know if they are certified? I believe they both were.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry your tiel is sick. A vet doesn't necessarily have to be avian certified to be a good vet- although it certainly would help. Another question may be how many birds do they treat and how often? A lot of vets don't regularly treat birds and my understanding is that bird care isn't a required area of veterinary school so a lot of vets just really aren't that knowledgeable about birds. It does sound like your tiel needs to be seen again.

@srtiels ?

Also, if there aren't any avian vets near you can the vets you've seen consult with one?

Last edited:

mindee77

Strolling the yard
The last vet I took her too was Awesome so I guess I am going to call them and ask. I think she needs to be seen again. She is the kindest bird and I feel totally helpless..l just got home and no change at all. She is panting like a dog. Really puffed out. I am going to try to make her eat.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Good luck, hon, bless you for trying to keep your fid healthy. I'll keep you and your little girl in my thoughts and prayers. please do let us know what happens. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
The only advice I can give is keep her environment warm and humid.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping one of these are close to you;

Bird & Exotic Pet Hospital

12720 Pony Express Road
Draper, UT 84020
(801) 565-1263

Centerville:
Parrish Creek Veterinary Clinc
Douglas Folland
86 N 70 W.
Centerville, UT 84014
801-298-2014

Bountiful:
Drs. Dana Clark, Evan Gubler and Warren Hess
Lakeview Animal Hospital1975 Orchard Drive,
Bountiful, UT 84010
Tel. (801) 298-2314

Clearfield Veterinary Clinic
Lara Taylor
428 N. Main Street
Clearfield, UT 84015
801-776-4372

Payson Family Pet Hospital
Shirley Bybee
320 East 1075 North
Springville, UT 84663
801-489-0618

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
@mindee77 You've been moved to the bird emergency forum so hopefully you'll be seen by more people and will get more help. I'd still say that you should call your vet asap and go with your gut feeling even if you aren't a "bird expert". our guts never lie to us.

TY @Birdiemarie

mindee77

Strolling the yard
I know she is not getting enough oxygen her feet are pale gray color. I just called the vet waiting for him to call back..

Status
Not open for further replies.