• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SAD UPDATE Post #37-Prayer warriors needed!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Thank you all for all of the hugs, kind words and heartfelt empathy! It means so much that you all know how attached we are to our furry and feathered babies. Patch has literally lived his entire life with us. He was born in this house has always been our 3rd child. Spoiled beyond belief. Hubs had a "no dogs at the kitchen table" rule that applied to all dogs prior to Patch. Patch was allowed to lay next to the table and look adorable without any reprimand or commands to lay on his bed. He got away with a few things that his mother and "aunts" were not allowed to do.

I have been lurking the past 24 hours, but not really reading or comprehending anything. I occupied myself at work today with the mundane because I could not concentrate on the technicalities. I have cried and cried and there are very few tears left. I think I am breaking out in hives from the shock and stress of the last 3 days.

The records were sent to my vet as well as myself. I have googled symptoms and words I am unfamiliar with. Wrote them all down for Dr. R's call. When the vet called a little bit ago, she also mentioned the hemangiosarcoma as well as a ruptured chordae tendineae. Neither of these can be diagnosed without an ultrasound (for the spleen) or an echocardiogram for the rupture in the heart. Neither of those were in the report, nor were the actual x-rays. They told us they did an ultrasound and we saw the shaved areas on Patch, but there is no mention of it in the report. My vet wants to see everything, so I will be calling them in the morning to pick them up.

The conclusion of the ER was, and I quote "Hypovolemic shock - differentials include electric shock, rodenticide toxicity, other toxicity, anaphylaxis of unknown origin, pulmonary thromboembolism, etc."

Dr. R stated flat out that it is NOT poisoning of any kind because the hematocrits are too high. Poisoning would cause them to be much lower. This is very much a relief, as we had treated the attic for mice over the winter and Hubs was afraid he had missed some in the cleanup and it was his fault for Patch's passing.

We know he was not electrocuted. He was with us all day and there would have been burns on him.

Pulmonary embolism and anaphylaxis are still possibilities, but Dr R wants all of the imaging to narrow it down some more. I will be calling in the morning to get them.

I will say that I am highly disappointed. One of the top Vet schools in the country and they could not find, or at least narrow down, a cause. The report they sent to Dr. R stated we decided to euthanize for financial reasons! Very much the opposite of what really happened! They told us his prognosis was poor. He may have 2 days or 2 weeks, but would have to remain on oxygen to make it that long. When asked if we could take some home to let him pass at home, they said it was not something they could provide. He basically would have suffocated slowly and painfully. Not something we would have wanted for anyone! Human or animal!

Thank you again for all of your kind words and for letting me vent and get it out of my system. This forum is so much more than just advice. It is an entire support system of like minded individuals through thick and thin, good times and bad!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is so sad when things are written down in medical records that aren't what we heard.

It happens all too often in our own medical records.

I hope you get an answer.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Ugh, that ER sounds terrible.

I'm sorry you have to deal with them on top of everything else. I'm sure if your vet knows you, and them, she understands what really happened.
She may even have her own private concerns about them, it may be worth asking her after all this if she can recommend a different ER if you think you'll ever need one again, and there is another in your area.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Thank you all for all of the hugs, kind words and heartfelt empathy! It means so much that you all know how attached we are to our furry and feathered babies. Patch has literally lived his entire life with us. He was born in this house has always been our 3rd child. Spoiled beyond belief. Hubs had a "no dogs at the kitchen table" rule that applied to all dogs prior to Patch. Patch was allowed to lay next to the table and look adorable without any reprimand or commands to lay on his bed. He got away with a few things that his mother and "aunts" were not allowed to do.

I have been lurking the past 24 hours, but not really reading or comprehending anything. I occupied myself at work today with the mundane because I could not concentrate on the technicalities. I have cried and cried and there are very few tears left. I think I am breaking out in hives from the shock and stress of the last 3 days.

The records were sent to my vet as well as myself. I have googled symptoms and words I am unfamiliar with. Wrote them all down for Dr. R's call. When the vet called a little bit ago, she also mentioned the hemangiosarcoma as well as a ruptured chordae tendineae. Neither of these can be diagnosed without an ultrasound (for the spleen) or an echocardiogram for the rupture in the heart. Neither of those were in the report, nor were the actual x-rays. They told us they did an ultrasound and we saw the shaved areas on Patch, but there is no mention of it in the report. My vet wants to see everything, so I will be calling them in the morning to pick them up.

The conclusion of the ER was, and I quote "Hypovolemic shock - differentials include electric shock, rodenticide toxicity, other toxicity, anaphylaxis of unknown origin, pulmonary thromboembolism, etc."

Dr. R stated flat out that it is NOT poisoning of any kind because the hematocrits are too high. Poisoning would cause them to be much lower. This is very much a relief, as we had treated the attic for mice over the winter and Hubs was afraid he had missed some in the cleanup and it was his fault for Patch's passing.

We know he was not electrocuted. He was with us all day and there would have been burns on him.

Pulmonary embolism and anaphylaxis are still possibilities, but Dr R wants all of the imaging to narrow it down some more. I will be calling in the morning to get them.

I will say that I am highly disappointed. One of the top Vet schools in the country and they could not find, or at least narrow down, a cause. The report they sent to Dr. R stated we decided to euthanize for financial reasons! Very much the opposite of what really happened! They told us his prognosis was poor. He may have 2 days or 2 weeks, but would have to remain on oxygen to make it that long. When asked if we could take some home to let him pass at home, they said it was not something they could provide. He basically would have suffocated slowly and painfully. Not something we would have wanted for anyone! Human or animal!

Thank you again for all of your kind words and for letting me vent and get it out of my system. This forum is so much more than just advice. It is an entire support system of like minded individuals through thick and thin, good times and bad!
Wow! They really told You that? That You couldnt take him Home? And the report thing OMG! Do You know If patches had cool feet? Thats One symptom Of hypovolemic shock Yesterday At The clinic we saw a case... A pitbull arrived unconcious, cool FEET, hypothermic (35.8 C), tremors, unresponsive eyes ( pupils didnt reacted to light) he had severe diarrhea (despite OF the fluids that we administred him), vomited twice & nervous moves where he would flick HIS head and he had arrithmia.. He seemed to lick his face and swallowing. But it Was Some sort of body reflect. As he didnt woke up, his breathing was ok, BUT Also low oxygen saturation (arrived with 72 then with fluids improved to 96 & oxygen source made it to 98) as soon as we took the oxygen source OUT it went down to 95.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
They told us we could take him home, but could not give, rent oxygen nor tell us how to get it. If we took him home, it would have been slow suffocation. I did not notice if his feet were cool when we rushed him over there, but they were very warm the next day. He was originally maintaining on room air, but went down to highs 70's low 80's when he came out of it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Again I'm so sorry

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
They told us we could take him home, but could not give, rent oxygen nor tell us how to get it. If we took him home, it would have been slow suffocation. I did not notice if his feet were cool when we rushed him over there, but they were very warm the next day. He was originally maintaining on room air, but went down to highs 70's low 80's when he came out of it.
Mmm in that case he didnt had hypovolemic shock as the feet do NOT warm up not even in the warmest room.... Só i Keep thinking he had hemangiosarcoma in the spleen. Which the ONLY Way For him to survive would Have been surgery to Get his spleen out and stop the bleeding.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
THAT WAS THE FIRST THING DR. R SAID, TOO. WAITING FOR HER TO GET THE ULTRASOUND AND REVIEW IT NOW. HOPEFULLY SHE WILL CALL THIS EVENING.
SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS THING. MY PHONE SEEMS TO BE STUCK ON CAPS LOCK FOR SOME REASON....

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
THAT WAS THE FIRST THING DR. R SAID, TOO. WAITING FOR HER TO GET THE ULTRASOUND AND REVIEW IT NOW. HOPEFULLY SHE WILL CALL THIS EVENING.
SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS THING. MY PHONE SEEMS TO BE STUCK ON CAPS LOCK FOR SOME REASON....
Let US know what She says!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Will do! Thanks for all of the help! You are going to be an awesome vet!

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Will do! Thanks for all of the help! You are going to be an awesome vet!
Your very weLcome! Thats why i chose to be what i'm! :) I'm going to start My vet career soon! As soon as i finish my vet Tech course in September! I LOVE helping animals & their owners! I Wish i had seen this thread sooner :( i saw it on Sunday after your dog passed away.
Im so sorry!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so very sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Your very weLcome! Thats why i chose to be what i'm! :) I'm going to start My vet career soon! As soon as i finish my vet Tech course in September! I LOVE helping animals & their owners! I Wish i had seen this thread sooner :( i saw it on Sunday after your dog passed away.
Im so sorry!
Not sure i would have seen it in time if you had seen the post. I do appreciate the thought and effort you have put into helping me find an answer, though! Ihave nothing against the Vet tech that was trying to help us. She broke down in tears while she was explaining things to us. She is learning, like most of the rest. I am frustrated with their teachers. Aren't the professors supposed to be going over charts and guiding them to find answers? And are the radiologists radiology students or are the images read by vet students, also?

I do not know if Dr R received the images i requested for her. She did not call this evening, but i will be picking everything up myself when his ashes are back.

He will be buried next to his mom under the big oak in the back yard. Funny thing is that was a very dry area of the yard. No grass, only dirt and the ancient oak tree. This year there are morning glories growing in the spot where we buried his mom, Shyanne, several years ago. He was very attached to his mom. Drove her crazy always wanting to play with her and as she aged, he would lay next to her and clean her face, neck and feet for her. He actually went into a depression when she passed away. Sat at the front door and cried for days. We sat next to him and just cuddled and cried with him. Makes me smile through the tears to imagine them playing tug of war with that old red rope again. Yep, here i go again with tears!! Dammit!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I am so terribly sorry for your loss, @Newbie GCC . And shame on them for misrepresenting you in that report. I really hope you find an answer and some peace. Lots of love and light to you:heart:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I am so terribly sorry for your loss, @Newbie GCC . And shame on them for misrepresenting you in that report. I really hope you find an answer and some peace. Lots of love and light to you:heart:
Thank you. All of AA's support has helped a ton.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Not sure i would have seen it in time if you had seen the post. I do appreciate the thought and effort you have put into helping me find an answer, though! Ihave nothing against the Vet tech that was trying to help us. She broke down in tears while she was explaining things to us. She is learning, like most of the rest. I am frustrated with their teachers. Aren't the professors supposed to be going over charts and guiding them to find answers? And are the radiologists radiology students or are the images read by vet students, also?

I do not know if Dr R received the images i requested for her. She did not call this evening, but i will be picking everything up myself when his ashes are back.

He will be buried next to his mom under the big oak in the back yard. Funny thing is that was a very dry area of the yard. No grass, only dirt and the ancient oak tree. This year there are morning glories growing in the spot where we buried his mom, Shyanne, several years ago. He was very attached to his mom. Drove her crazy always wanting to play with her and as she aged, he would lay next to her and clean her face, neck and feet for her. He actually went into a depression when she passed away. Sat at the front door and cried for days. We sat next to him and just cuddled and cried with him. Makes me smile through the tears to imagine them playing tug of war with that old red rope again. Yep, here i go again with tears!! Dammit!
Yes teachers and vets HAVE to teach us the charts and the images of radiology áre read by us vet techs but also by vet students and vets themselves. Vets can make mistakes... My tutor has been working as a vet for 14 years! The other vet that works with him, she has only been working for 6 months and so far she has made 2 mistakes that i had seen! One was minor she Did An x-ray on a pregnant female dog she told the owners There were 3 pups INSIDE when the mom to be gave birth she had 2 pups Só clearly owners were sick worry cause the vet told them there were 3 pups when they brought her to get an xray there was nothing inside... Só she actually had 2 pups in the first xray not 3. The second mistake was yesterday she thought a dog had a diagfragmatic hernya (She told this to the owner) then after she told the owner she asked my tutor to help her with an echo in the same dog they did the echo and the dog actually have a tumor in his lungs and his abdomen is full of them too :/ Só vets that Are recently gradúated do make mistakes!

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Yep, here i go again with tears!! Dammit!

You've got me in tears too now. So sorry that Patch didn't make it. I still cry when i think about my cat that i had put to sleep a year ago. They are such a part of our lives that it's very difficult when they are gone. I hope that they are able to determine what happened to him, for your piece of mind.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I was going to call her today, but work was crazy. The one call I did make was to the crematorium to order the box for his ashes and that got me to blubbering again. I have made myself a note to call her tomorrow.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
THEY SENT X-RAYS, BUT NOT THE ULTRASOUND. I WILL BE PICKING UP A CD IN A FEW DAYS TO TAKE TO HER MYSELF.