• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

-Sad update- I am just so upset and frustrated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
The rapid onset leads me to believe there was some poisoning that took place. Heart disease is subtle but there are still symptoms. Blue heelers will show signs even though they are a hearty dog. Wish you the best and continued progress.

Gomp

Strolling the yard
We have thought about poisons. I may be wrong, but wouldn't they show up in the blood tests?

One of the things we have been discussing with our vet was if she had a reaction to mold. We have a lot of water leakage with our windows. Often we get a green/back growth around the sill. I clean them every other day, especially since we have birds. We live in an apartment complex and since we moved in they keep telling me it is normal and just like a mildew growth on the window sill. They claim if I wipe the windows down once a week it will be fine. It has been a frustrating battle with the window issues, but I did do a really good clean the day before she had her first episode.

My boss though did lose her dog last week. She said it was kind of similar to what we are dealing with. Her dog was healthy and then for a week showed a few 'off' signs and she came home to her dog on the floor and had to euthanize her. I have no idea if the two are linked, but I guess you just never know. With the warmer winters anything is possible I suppose.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Do so hope you get to the bottom of it all and have some more quality time with your beloved pet. How are things at this moment in time?:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am sorry to read about your dog being ill. I am sending lots of positive healing energy, and also hugs to you!:hug8::hug8:

Gomp

Strolling the yard
I think all the positive energy worked! Roo came home with us today. We are both shocked and of course over joyed. The doctor called us early this morning, he had come to see Roo on his day off, and told us he felt we could do the treatment on our own and she was improving at a rapid rate. While we can't reverse the heart damage, we can continue to treat the lungs. Her breathing is better then I have seen in a long time, which really makes me wonder how long she has been having issues. As we already knew- Roo has a TON of prescriptions, most of which she will be on for the rest of her life. Our poor dog has to have like ten pills a day- but they are working wonders!

In two weeks she has to go in for a heart and lung checkup to figure out all the damage done and if the stuff is still in the lungs. If the heart is passable and if the stuff in the lungs remains then we will put her under to do get samples of whats in the lungs. We will go from there to see if what she has is treatable (unless of course if the antibiotics she is presently on is doing the job). If the heart is in really bad shape of course she will get even more prescriptions.

She is moving around very well and seems very alert. Going from deaths door to this in only a few days just seems utterly amazing. I took her for a walk today and she even tried to run, something she hasn't done in quite awhile (on doctors orders sadly I had to stop her). We both feel very lucky and blessed. The doctor told us Roo's life will now be a couch potato, but honestly she seems very comfortable and happy. We will do all we can to enjoy whatever time we have left with her.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

Myztik

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nel
I am just so upset and frustrated!

So glad to hear she's home and doing so much better! What a lovely Xmas present.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is awesome news!!:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Sorry to hear this. it happens with humans too. medicine is an art not a science. We turn to vets and dictors for expertise but do not always get it. Very frustrating to say least

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
:dance4: Congratulations! I hope he continues to improve.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
How wonderful you will be able to have more time with Roo like I had with Missy. Cherish each moment and cuddle her every day. You will always remember and treasure this bitter-sweet time with Roo.

Sending more fuzzies and positive energy.

Gomp

Strolling the yard
Roo had been doing so well, but today she suddenly took a turn back downwards. The vet had taken her off the antibiotic the other day and she was showing good signs- the fluid around her heart even went down, she was beginning to eat more, and her bowels were becoming more solid, but suddenly over night she has just drastically gotten worse and worse. Her breathing is labored (more so then before) and we are back to falling over with sever diarrhea.

We are putting her back on the antibiotic in hopes she responds to that again. We are praying we can get her stable enough to do a tracia (spw?) wash which can tell us what is going on in the lungs and if treatable then we can treat it directly. However if she continues following the road she presently is then tomorrow we will more then likely have to say goodbye. It really pains me to say that, but we do not want her to suffer anymore then she has to.

Please keep her in your thoughts tonight.

Gomp

Strolling the yard
So while her breathing has calmed a lot she ended up puking up food undigested about 10 hours later :( I have no idea what that means. Will call the vet in the morning about it if she keeps up through the night.

mosemom

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I am so very sorry. Please know that we are all with you (at least, in Spirit) to help support you through all of this.:grouphug:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
So sorry to read your news, and hope something can be done to help Roo get over this.
If it is the end of the line know you have done all you can for your darling dog. He is so lucky to have you to look after his every need.
Sometimes they are like candles and burn brighter for a short while before going out. Know you have given him a wonderful life and you would not have missed it for the world.:hug8:

Gomp

Strolling the yard
She passed away at 1:06 am on January 4th. We were both there. She took her last breath surrounded by nothing but support and love. Thank you everyone.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Gomp, so sorry to read this post, but know you did the best you could for your darling girl and she is now running free and no pain anylonger.
I know you will meet up with her again one day, and until that happens,grieve for her and heal yourself. God bless.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.