• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sad Update # 362 Millow vomiting and tired

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
So very sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
So sorry for your loss:sadhug:

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:sadhug2:

Cyreen

Kisses to M-Star, Peachy, Fluffy, Red and Blue, I know how birds can grieve a lost friend.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
For those of you who have been following this thread, I have received the first set of results from the pathology lab.

No viral infection diagnosed - no ABV/PDD, no PBFD, no polyoma. Although further tests are being run, the major viral infections are now ruled out.

Tentative cause of death is "Amyliodosis" of the spleen.
Symptoms include:
There are numerous symptoms that are associated with this disease. The most common ones have to do with the heart, such as heart failure and arrhythmia. Also, the respiratory tract can be affected and cause hemoptysis. Usually, the spleen enlarges and sometimes ruptures.The gastrointestinal tract is usually affected and causes vomiting, hemorrhaging and diarrhea. Amyloidosis can also affect the body's motor functions and cause polyneuropathy.
It's now a search for what caused it. The vet only knows of 4 previous cases - 3 in lorikeets and 1 in a duck, all discovered on post mortem.

Fortunately we postponed the actual burial and the vet has asked if they can taken him back to get even more tissue samples to send on top of the extra tissues they gained on the day. This is what I suspected would happen which is also why I didn't go ahead and bury him on the day I brought him back for presentation to the flock.
As M-Star was his cage mate and also from the same breeder (different breeding pair), she is booked in on Monday for investigative tests of which one of them is to check for a blood parasite which could potentially cause the condition, although the vet is of the opinion it is unlikely, they want to cover every avenue.
The vet is starting to look at a problem with his immune system in the form of an auto-immune type of disorder. The theories are still coming and tests still happening and communication with lots of top vets is happening too.

So, not much of an update, but a relief that there isn't anything of a major viral nature that we need to be worried about. Still looking for answers and I have vowed to find them. I won't give up.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. So sorry for your loss:(

Could it be the fiber he ate? Or something else he ate?

:(

:hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. So sorry for your loss:(

Could it be the fiber he ate? Or something else he ate?

:(

The small amount of fibres came out with the barium meal and were essentially nothing to do with the cause of the breakdown of his GI tract. Fortunately, they are as determined as we are to find out what went on.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm glad it isn't viral and hopefully M Star is not affected. I didn't even know birds could get Amyliodosis. Thanks for sharing this info, JAM, as it could be helpful to one of us down the road. I know this is so hard for you right now.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad for you and your other birds that it wasn't viral. I've never heard of Amyliodosis. Thanks for posting the results. It gives me something to read up on later. Its so hard getting necropsy results back. On the one hand, its such a relief knowing it wasn't anything contagious, on the other, your still grieving for your bird.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I returned Millow today "on ice" the reason being so they could ensure minimal tissue erosion/damage so hopefully they can send off more tissue samples. His case is very much discussed around Aus at the moment.

M-Star also went in for tests today, they're attached. The immediate concern is ruling out a "live blood parasite" which she may well not have. The next concern is organ function.....is what happened to Millow possibly happening inside M-Star? Hopefully the blood tests will tell and they've said they're expediting the results with expectations of results by tomorrow midday.

The vet has said this is all precautionary. She has previously had PCR tests incl PBFD test which have been negative. He isn't really expecting to find anything on her but better safe than sorry.

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Jam,
This may be out of line, and I'm 100% NOT saying you need a new bird, but I believe PRC has two scalies needing a home, if you wanted to give them a look over.

Im so sorry youre still looking for answers, youre a great parront :hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Still thinking of you over here :hug8::hug8::hug8:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
What an incredible, long journey you and the vet are taking. I'm so sorry it happened but I'm very grateful you are willing to pursue this to the end. Thank you for the updates.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you Jam for being so persistent in tracking down what took Millow from you. You will add greatly to the knowledge of avian disease and help others look in the right direction when their own bird becomes ill.

Thanks again.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I can't believe this still isn't over for you. :heart: But indeed, you are doing the avian world a great service by tracking this own to the end. My thoughts are still with you, your family, and flock, including poor M-Str, having to endure all the follow up tests. Please take care of yourself.