• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(sad update #23) Parakeet with Bleeding Sore, Abscess, or Tumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am very sorry for your loss. Fly free little one.:sadhug:

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
My heart really goes out to you!
We just had to have our 13 year old Irish Setter to sleep and we had similar issues to deal with.
Age, tumors, making it thru the surgery etc.

You did the right thing, I hope as time goes by you will realize that. As I told my husband when we had to make our decision, if
we truly loved our old girl, then we needed to think of her quality of life (which wasn't good). What you did shows just how much you
loved her. big cyber hugs, AR

Christina71

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christina
Sounds like you've had a rough year! I went through that last year, our 10 year old dog, my 17 year old cat [my soul cat] and our 8 year old cat all passed away within a few months, along with a lot of other emotional strains it was very hard to deal with.

I am so sorry for your loss, and that you had to make that choice...I think that is the worst feeling, I had to make that choice years ago and felt horrible wondering if I did the right thing, but also knowing in my heart it was the right thing to do.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I am so sorry! I don't think you should feel guilty about your decision though. I think it may have been best whether you had the money for the surgery or not. If a tumour that large popped through the skin overnight than it is my feeling that it was likely through her and the surgery would not have done much. :sadhug2:
Also, it is my understanding that a seed diet may cause fatty liver disease not cancer, so don't blame yourself for her tumour. But it is a good idea to get your remaining bird(s) on a healthier diet. Get a small size pellet. You can try wetting it at first and spoon feeding if they will accept that. Don't leave wet pellets with them more than an hour or two though as bacteria will grow. You can mix some dry pellets in with their seed but I'm not sure this will guarantee them eating it. If they like birdie bread you could make some with pellets in it.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I am soo very sorry.. :sadhug:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so sorry for your loss :hug8::hug8::hug8:.

unicornlady7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Christa
I'm so sorry for your loss...:hug8:You did the best you could for her and she no longer suffers.

Lschinaia

Strolling the yard
Thanks everyone, you truly are the best people. I am still grieving and so is Bill, I fear for him and may end up getting him a friend very soon. I would love to bond with him, but just don't have enough time he needs to be a companion. I will try the new foods, overall they do need more vitamins and better diet than millet. My vet told me long ago it was "junk food."

They don't really eat the egg food I bought and most food is very expensive, but they eat very little so it would not be a problem. Yes I assumed since it showed up so suddenly, I can only assume more was inside or going on there. Considering her activity level always poor, and her inability to play or interact well with her other parakeets she outlived all of them.

Orpheus died first, then Psyche...then Samwise, then Ra. So she outlived them all. I am not sure how old Psyche and Orpheus were considering I got them second hand at a yard sale. They were very sweet.

Last edited:

natalie

Strolling the yard
My heart goes out to you. I am saddened to hear this update on your girl, but please try not to feel guilty about the situation. You did what you thought was best for her, and she is no longer suffering. I am very sorry for your loss :sadhug:

Status
Not open for further replies.