• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(Sad Update #13) Need a shoulder to cry on...

JJG

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jody
I have a Maximillian Pionus named Reggie. We bought him from a pet store 16 years ago. They told us he was 6-8 months old, so he is really more like 17 years old.

About 10-11 yrs ago, the vet said his Uric Acid count was high and that he had gout. She said he would probably only last a few more years because of it and prescribed him a food that was low in protein.
Since then, we have fed him this prescription food, which is Roudybush AK (Avian Kidney) Pellets. (We order straight from Roudybush.)

About 6 weeks ago, we woke up one day to find him limping. We took him to the vet, thinking the gout was finally severe and was attacking his joints in the one foot. We did x-rays to reveal NO crystals in the swollen joints of his right foot. Nothing else abnormal was showing in the x-ray with exception of the swollen joint we could visually see.
The vet withdrew some of the fluid from the swollen leg and looked at it under a microscope to find it was a bacterial infection. She prescribed two weeks of Baytril and a pain medicine. We did that for two weeks and he definitely improved and seemed almost back to normal after the two weeks of medicine. A week after finishing the antibiotic, we noticed his grip had gotten weaker again (no limping though, but there was swelling again). We were back to Baytril again for 2 weeks, but it was not as strong a the first dose...Just finished that dose on Thursday. It didn't seem to work and the other foot is now swollen and can't grip with it either. We did do a CBC blood panel when we got the second round of Baytril. It did not come back with anything new...only expected things like high white blood cell count because of the bacterial infection we are treating. Vet said the Calcium was high, but that could be due to slight dehydration since his weight was a little down when they took his blood.

We were also giving him a 4 week round of Allopurinol at the same time. We decided to try this for the supposed gout since the Uric Acid number has gone up.

Took him to vet again today for a checkup after this second round of baytril. She didn't really say much. He has lost weight, which is not a good sign. We're giving him an antibiotic break and are just going to give him a pain medicine for a bit.

I was just so sure the antibiotic would make him all better...it hasn't. I think this may be the end for him and I'm just so sad. Thanks for letting me vent...so, very, sad!!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up for him. Hopefully others with more experience will post.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Was a culture and sensitivity done on the bacterial fluid? I'm thinking not as baytril is very broad spectrum. I would pull the fluid and send it out for culture. That way you will know if Baytril is the right medication to use to fight the infection. I would also get him on a probiotic.

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
Hoping you get some better answers soon to help you guy out!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Hugs i agree with Macawnutz

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
How awesome that you were able to get and feed him the food he needed for his condition so many years ago. Look how many more years you have had him as part of your family. Although I don't work for an avian veterinarian, I have worked in a small animal hospital for 28yrs. I know how Incredibly difficult it is for someone to buy and feed only what their pet really should have. You did, and continue to do what is needed for little Reggie. We all sincerely hope that he fights back through this. (hug)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All I can say is Love him and give him extra goodies and whatever else he wants!:hug8:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd made it 31 years with me and had a few minor infections over that time and pulled through each time so I think as long as you keep on his issues with some luck he has a good amount of time left in your family. Nerd was a very skinny Maxi and I was told he may be 2 when I got him in 78.
They are surprisingly hardy little tanks as long as no accidents or major illness gets them. So don't give up, love him and care for him and I bet he soldiers on for quite a while:hug8:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry you both are going thru this!

Love him while you can and stay positive! :hug6:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that your baby isn't well. Maybe I'm a freak, but I don't think it's time to give up on him.

Are you hand feeding him water - extra water is one of the standard treatments for gout. Does he have painkillers (not an NSAID) like Tramadol or Gabapentin? Gout is one of the most painful of diseases. Allipurinol is the goto mdication for gout, but does not act the same in birds as in humans and your vet needs to be aware of the differences. Make sure that what he is eating is low in fats, proteins and purines - those are all bad for gout.

Best of luck for your guy.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I'm sorry, I hope that they can figure out a regimen that will keep your baby as well as he can be

JJG

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jody
I know this was my first post out here and I want to thank every single one of you. However...
Many tears befall me this morning. We found our beloved Reggie dead this morning. He was still on his perch I put on the shelf I bought him and was leaning against a new toy I had bought him. We believe he had just died within the hour or two before we got up this morning at 8:30am because he was not fully stiff. Our whole family (me, hubby, son (9yrs) and daughter (8yrs) are just beside ourselves in grief. We put him in a shoe box and the kiddos wrote him some notes and put his favorite old toy in the box with him. I had mentioned a week or so ago to them about a necropsy and what it was and they both could not even fathom doing that. (After all the money we have spent the past 6 weeks on dear Reggie, we can't afford to pay for one.) We decided it was best for our family to have a little outside burial.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your caring comments...I had not given up on him and had started giving him probiotics a couple days ago. I had gotten Tramadol yesterday at the vet and had given it to him since we were giving him an antibiotic break. Tons of 'what ifs' go through my head, but I must stop those thoughts or I will go crazy.

I love you, Reggie, and the entire family will miss you beyond what words can describe.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I am so sorry that he did not make it but just remember all the years you shared with him and all the happy memories you hold dear in your hearts.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I am so sorry for your loss. May your precious memories give you comfort.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I am so sorry for you loss. Fly free Reggie:sorrow:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry for you and your family. Such a tragedy when you lose a loved long term member of your family.

Reggie you can now fly high and free without illness or pain. Give your family a flyby now and then - they will miss you terribly.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm so sorry for your loss and Reggie's flying high over Rainbow Bridge no longer in pain or discomfort of any kind. I know it hurts, I've been there, I tried, my vet tried but it was to no avail. IF it is any comfort, Reggie was with you for 16-17 years and he knew you were HIS people. I think that means a lot to a companion bird. :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'm so sorry:sadhug: Like said remember the good times, he knew he was loved and safe to the end. Nerd was with me to the end as well and spent his last day sitting on my arm till he passed, I still miss him almost 6 years later but I do remember all the good times and he knew he was safe and loved.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt