• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sad about my poor CAT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
My wonderful sweet 9 yo male cat has been doing poorly. We had a flea issue, that made him uncomfortable and he stopped eating. Got the fleas treated, and my other 2 kitties bounced right back to normal. But my special guy, he has just continued to deteriorate. His name is Cat, he came when ever we said cat, so it just stuck. We have had him for 9 years, and his sister. We have moved them with us several times. he is so neat, he is like a dog in a cat suit! He comes whenever I call his name, plays fetch, greets us at the door.

After giving him a bit of time to recover, I took him to vet yesterday. he is very thin, dehydrated, and inactive. I was not expecting his diagnosis though. I really thought he needed some antibiotics and some fluids. He was doing fine, I thought, until we had the flea problem. Normal weight, nothing really seemed like he was having problems. I also planned on having his teeth cleaned, thinking tooth issues were leading to his weight loss. Unfortunately, the bloodwork revealed serious liver issues! We have decided to do our best to keep him happy and comfortable, unfortunately I have not found much positive about treating liver diseases. Plus all the diagnostics would run very high$$$, and still unlikely to have a happy outcome.

So sad, seeing him this way! But he is still social, still eating some and drinking, and enjoying the pampering. I know that he likely doesn't have much time left, but hopefully he can enjoy it. I suppose we will know when it is time:(

Anyone else have this happen?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My wonderful sweet 9 yo male cat has been doing poorly. We had a flea issue, that made him uncomfortable and he stopped eating. Got the fleas treated, and my other 2 kitties bounced right back to normal. But my special guy, he has just continued to deteriorate. His name is Cat, he came when ever we said cat, so it just stuck. We have had him for 9 years, and his sister. We have moved them with us several times. he is so neat, he is like a dog in a cat suit! He comes whenever I call his name, plays fetch, greets us at the door.

After giving him a bit of time to recover, I took him to vet yesterday. he is very thin, dehydrated, and inactive. I was not expecting his diagnosis though. I really thought he needed some antibiotics and some fluids. He was doing fine, I thought, until we had the flea problem. Normal weight, nothing really seemed like he was having problems. I also planned on having his teeth cleaned, thinking tooth issues were leading to his weight loss. Unfortunately, the bloodwork revealed serious liver issues! We have decided to do our best to keep him happy and comfortable, unfortunately I have not found much positive about treating liver diseases. Plus all the diagnostics would run very high$$$, and still unlikely to have a happy outcome.

So sad, seeing him this way! But he is still social, still eating some and drinking, and enjoying the pampering. I know that he likely doesn't have much time left, but hopefully he can enjoy it. I suppose we will know when it is time:(

Anyone else have this happen?
:hug8: Yes, and you will know when it is time...

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:hug8::hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: I'm so sorry to hear this.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh Morgan, I'm very sorry to hear this. :hug5:

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
Thanks to all of you, really just needed to share this. It is really hard! I have lost pets before, but this time is different. Other losses have been sudden, or accidents. Not watching them waste away, waiting for the inevitable. But I feel good knowing that he has had a family who loves him his whole life, and has never been hungry or in a shelter. I feel that he is grateful for that, in what ever way cats feel gratitude:)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I ac tually did have this happen to an old cat of mine....he had severe anemia from fleas..(we were so stupid...in Alberta which is a very dry climate..there are no fleas...we moved to ONtario and the cats and dog got fleas)--He was so incredibly weak one day that he could not stand......they thought we were going to lose him...they injected him with iv's etc...finally, they gave him three blood transfusions and that worked..we fumigated our entire house etgc...many prayers on the way..ask about the blood transfusions.

unicornlady7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Christa
So sorry.. I lost a cat not to liver disease, but the kidneys. We watched her fade away and it was heart breaking. We had her for 17 years, so I shouldn't complain. She was the best kitty I ever had. We had her put to sleep not too long after diagnosis. She was so very thin and could bearly move. It's hard losing such a beloved pet, even harder watching them cross over..

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I ask so sorry..I watched both my lab and my kitty fade away from cancer...it was terrible to see and I cried often. I had to make the decision to let go with both of them...very difficult but we did it out of love for them. Treasure each moment.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.